Jul 29, 2019, 05:18 PM
I do fly on eh MZ32. I am interested in the Opto Rom Sensor and I completely overlooked the two connections for temperature. What could be done if a 3 or 5 cylinder radial were used? Is it possible to daisy chain sensors? The new pitot tube is also of interest. Do you have any feedback on it?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2019, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottterjt1
I do fly on eh MZ32. I am interested in the Opto Rom Sensor and I completely overlooked the two connections for temperature. What could be done if a 3 or 5 cylinder radial were used? Is it possible to daisy chain sensors? The new pitot tube is also of interest. Do you have any feedback on it?
Up to 4 temperature sensors is possible with fairly reasonable efforts, as long as you feel somewhat comfortable with electronic components. It is really not that hard. As I had mentioned the module has already connections for 2 temperature sensors. The 2 inputs for voltage measurement could be fairly easy used/adapted for temperature as well. Texas Instruments makes some very nice temperature sensors which are easy to interface. They come in 2 versions, one for Fahrenheit LM34 and one for Centigrade LM35. These components are readily available and have a proportional output (10mV/F or 10mV/C). Here are the links to the spec sheets:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm34.pdf
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm35.pdf

Then there is a possible 5th voltage/temperature measurement via the receiver sensor input. I am sure there are ways going beyond that, but that would take some investigating.

The pitot tube does the job, I have already successfully interfaced/installed several of them.
Here is a link to my post from last year:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=25
Note: Take a little extra care during install, since the reference (static) pressure is measured on the board. The board should be at a location in the fuselage or wing which encounters minimal/no dynamic pressure fluctuations.

Hope this helps.
Jul 30, 2019, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info!
Aug 07, 2019, 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
Probably.

Are using the gyro receiver downloader under the link menu?

You can also use the newest receiver only updater https://www.graupner.de/media/archiv...4-1191-jar.zip
Thank you Doug for the video, I updated both my receivers to the new version.
Aug 10, 2019, 03:57 PM
FinnK

Log files and receiver data

Is there a document or "place" explaining the various data received via telemetry for RX ?

There are columns for Receiver named "RF RXSQ" - "Quality" - "Strength" - "LossPack". What are this datatypes representing - and what are good and bad values? What are the signs to look out for?

If I get the warning «Telemetry link inactive» during flight from my MZ-16 - is it correct that I still should have a good RC signal range because the telemetry signal from RX is transmitted with less power than the signal from the RC-transmitter?
Aug 15, 2019, 12:01 PM
ned
ned

How can I use gyro and phase trim?

I posted this earlier but suspect I was in the wrong group.

I have a couple of gliders with ailerons and no flaps and Falcon 12L receivers using an MZ16 transmitter.

The handbook says not to use phase trim with the gyro but I'd like to use the ailerons as flaperons and set launch and landing phase with different amounts of droop. I've experimented a bit but weird things keep happening! I've set thermal and landing phases and moved them up the list so they are 2 and 3 above the gyro phase which is 4. I can set a couple of mm droop for the ailerons in the thermal phase and this is cancelled when I select the gyro on: so far so good. However when I try to set more than a few degrees droop the aileron servos seem to have a mind of their own and the ailerons just move up and down randomly. Sometimes the rudder joins in too. I've learned that the gyro sets itself to neutral when turned on and that any trim changes require the model to be turned off and on again to allow the gyro to reset (wasted a lot of time before I learnt about that one!).

Does anyone have any idea on how i can achieve the phase settings i want while allowing the gyro to be used?
Aug 15, 2019, 05:31 PM
'n boer maak 'n plan
I honestly have no idea what affect the gyro would have on flaps but it most likely would not be good. I don’t fly anything with flaps so I really have a hard time to figure out how to help here. Knowledge I have is from helping others at the field (Yes I have converted a number of pilots to Graupner..)
I have made a video on setting up flaps but really only cover the basics here :
Aileron_Setup_Graupner_MZ-32 (4 min 37 sec)
Aug 15, 2019, 07:56 PM

Pitot Tube Installation

The HSS-330 Dynamic Pressure Speed Sensor (Pitot Tube) instructions state that it cannot be used at the same time as the GPS Sensor but is there a way around that? I want to use the pitot tube for airspeed during flight and the have the GPS tracking for evaluating flight tracking post flight.
Aug 15, 2019, 08:42 PM
c/f
c/f
I too would like to use the HSS-330 for airpsreed and a Vario for altitude reporting, I'm interested in a work around as well
Latest blog entry: Amt 180
Aug 15, 2019, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottterjt1
The HSS-330 Dynamic Pressure Speed Sensor (Pitot Tube) instructions state that it cannot be used at the same time as the GPS Sensor but is there a way around that? I want to use the pitot tube for airspeed during flight and the have the GPS tracking for evaluating flight tracking post flight.
Unfortunately not at this time. The HSS-330 utilizes the same device ID/Address as the GPS sensor. Therefore it will cause an address conflict.
Aug 15, 2019, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f
I too would like to use the HSS-330 for airpsreed and a Vario for altitude reporting, I'm interested in a work around as well
I have not tested the Vario combination yet, but that should work just fine. The Vario has a different address than the GPS sensor.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrag
Unfortunately not at this time. The HSS-330 utilizes the same device ID/Address as the GPS sensor. Therefore it will cause an address conflict.
Not the answer I wanted but it is the one I expected. Vario plus speed is a good combination but I think I'll stick with the GPS module in the majority of my aircraft for now. Thanks
Aug 16, 2019, 06:52 PM
Thread OP
We have been in talks with the developer to make firmware changes that allows you to set the module id manually which allows the use of both modules simultaneously.
Aug 16, 2019, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
We have been in talks with the developer to make firmware changes that allows you to set the module id manually which allows the use of both modules simultaneously.
Excellent! I'll stay tuned in.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:51 AM
Hello all, I am exploring different TX/RX options and came across Graupner. I have been looking over their website and earmarked the items I am most interested in. The MZ-32 would be the TX of choice and I also need a handful of full range receivers. I am unclear on what telemetry modules/sensor to get for my purpose.
I currently use Spektrum TX/RX with telemetry for all my electric as well as gas powered planes (Saito 4 stroke on ignition). For my electric models I like to monitor my flight battery voltage. For my gas planes I have my RPM and engine temperature on telemetry. On Spektrum receivers you simply plug the sensor for pack voltage, RPM and/or Temp sensor into the receiver.

1) With Graupner receivers, is it necessary to connect a General Engine/Air Module in order to use a RPM Opto Coupler for Electric Ignitions and 200C/400F Temperature and Voltage Sensor or can they be plugged into a GR-16 directly?
2) Can a Voltage Module VM-80 connect directly to a GR-24 or does it require a General Air Module?
My biggest concern in regards to using yet another module is available space inside my EDFs.

Thanks.

Quick Reply