Mar 10, 2014, 11:32 AM
UPDATE!

This weekend a fellow member of our model tractor truck club destroyed his $14,000 model at our season opening.

He is using a Graupner mc-32 (just like me), and he has two models: A tractor truck (show truck) and a excavator.

He parked the truck at a table and didn't switched the RX off. Then he selected the excavator on the mc-32 (model no. 2), switched the excavator on, and started to drive.

Unfortunately, the model tractor truck also started to move and drove off the table. It was completely destroyed. $14,000 and more than 600 hours of work is lost due to a missing safety feature in the HoTT receiver.

@Graupner Support
It is very important that a receiver will go into Fail Safe when another model is selected on the transmitter.

I know that the transmitter shows a warning about "turn off model" when selecting another model, but the receiver should go into Fail Safe - just as a safety feature.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 10, 2014, 11:39 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBM
....he selected the excavator on the mc-32 (model no. 2)....
Interesting update.

On MC-20, it will not allow you to select a different model if the current receiver is still switched on, it will only allow you to reverse out of the model select menu.

I guess that would still not prevent you from switching on a "wrong" model after you had done the switch process correctly.

Seems to make some assumptions about "normal" sequence of events.
Mar 10, 2014, 01:42 PM
Why didn't he shut the RC off of the other vehicle? Always shut the RX off first correct? I haven't tried to program a second model to see what's happens yet.
Mar 10, 2014, 03:06 PM
Yeah well... That's what happens when lack of danger (such as a propeller on a plane or helicopter blades potentially spooling up) doesn't make you develop a safe startup/shutdown sequence. AFAIK only Spectrum/JR have model match, no other brand has it, no one to blame here but the modeller.
Mar 10, 2014, 03:17 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hati
....no other brand has it.....
Others have it, they just can't use the patented name "Model Match".

F'rinstance, Taranis behaves the same way as Spektrum. Rx only responds when correct memory slot is selected.
Mar 10, 2014, 03:43 PM
Futaba doesn't for instance. The point is that safe on/off should be common practice no matter what kind of model one has, but vehicle modellers dismiss this, because what's the worse that can happen... Right? I fly helis and some planes, but predominantly helis. Big ones. The first thing you learn is how to turn the system on and off without getting killed by a 5 foot rotor disc.
Mar 10, 2014, 05:08 PM
Tx on first and receiver off first when finished. Standard safety practice.that Taranis looks like. Chinese JR/ spectrum knockoff.
Mar 10, 2014, 07:41 PM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr
Tx on first and receiver off first when finished. Standard safety practice.that Taranis looks like. Chinese JR/ spectrum knockoff.
I think it is a JR case. The hardware is on the low end of the scale. The OpenTX is light years ahead of anything else. But the model match works just like Spektrum.

Personally I don't see ever getting stung by the way the Graupner works unless somebody goes and turns on a Rx behind my back. And even then with no flight battery connected it would be moot point. I think all possible disasters would be avoided with main power batteries diconnnected. As far as I can see at least with MC-20 it is not possible to switch models until the current one is turned off first. I will soon have the MX-20 in my hands too so I can see if it works the same way.
Mar 10, 2014, 09:05 PM
So I have it changed to ch6 for the second aileron and it says 5 is for the sensor. But it doesn't let me turn the gen gas module on. So no telemetry. I have power coming out from the extension that's plugged into ch5 of the RX. What am I missing or just doing wrong? There is also power on the out of the module.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtraflyr
So I have it changed to ch6 for the second aileron and it says 5 is for the sensor. But it doesn't let me turn the gen gas module on. So no telemetry. I have power coming out from the extension that's plugged into ch5 of the RX. What am I missing or just doing wrong? There is also power on the out of the module.
The gas module should be connected from the port labeled T on the module to ch5. The module is not supposed to power the RX. The module should then be recognized by the TX after you turn the power on.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
Others have it, they just can't use the patented name "Model Match".

F'rinstance, Taranis behaves the same way as Spektrum. Rx only responds when correct memory slot is selected.
The patent is on the behavior of matching a model with a specific RX and not the name which is only copyrighted. This is why most of the brands out there have not implemented something similar as it would infringe the patent.

MichelBM - Sorry to hear about your friends model loss. I see no relationship with the radio and his accident but I will certainly make a note of testing the mc-32 against the designed functionality and see if there are any issues.
Mar 11, 2014, 03:19 AM
No bounce, No play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
The patent is on the behavior of matching a model....
I can see how Sanwa gets away with Safety Link making it a user programmable feature instead of automatic and hard coded.

Now that I think about it that's how FrSky works too. You assign numbers to Rx's and match them up during bind.

From there on out they are functionally the same as Spektrum as long as you don't overlap Rx numbers.

I wonder why Graupner does not incorporate the same system?
Mar 11, 2014, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupner USA
The gas module should be connected from the port labeled T on the module to ch5. The module is not supposed to power the RX. The module should then be recognized by the TX after you turn the power on.
The tx doesn't seem to recognize it. On the data page with the list of the modules I can touch the "gen" button and nothing happens. Do I have to re bind again maybe? I'm sure it's me and not the system missing something.
Thank you.
Mar 11, 2014, 08:58 AM
Thread OP
After you touch the GEN button then you should press ENT several times going throughout the RX menus until you reach the GEN settings menu.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:24 AM
I'll try that when I get home from work. I did get the triple rates to work though! Thanks for the help!
Frank.

Quick Reply