This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 12, 2013, 05:05 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Data

Hangar9 F4U-1D Corsair-Looking for better Power System

Yes, I have already flown my new Hangar9 F4U-1D .50 size Corsair "Electric" and did so, very scale like using the E-Flite Power 60 with just 4-Cells, Lithium Polymer and you can view that news at:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2033692

================================================== =======
Okay, fast forward:

I have been studying the two E-Flite (Power 46 versus 52) all morning and just did not like the selections so, I look for more motors and....

I have found one brand new in the box Model Motors AXI4120/18 (510Kv) and the additional 110Kv will provide that level of confidence that it will zoom out just a little better and keeping the AMP (Current Draw) at a minimum and provide additional RPMs to the Master Airscrew 13 X 8 X 3 for additional margin.

I have to admit that the Power 60 will not work, even though it flew the model but, to squeeze in 6 Cells is just not possible without cutting and modifying the Battery compartment.

Therefore, I am going to give the AXI4120/18 (510Kv) a try since I have already have it for a number of years in my Hobby Drawer and it will allow the continued use of 4-Cell, 3300mAH, 30C, Lithium Polymer packs and keeping the model as light as possible which is my goal.

It may not be that performance oriented for some of you out there but, considering that I now know how it flew completely SCALE like any improvement in RPMs is better than keeping the Power 60 on the model.

Also, I am happy to report that the AXI4120/18 is practically a Drop in for the Power 46/52/60 as it has identical Bolt Patterns for the X-Mount mounting and the Prop adapter bolts spacing are identical to the E-Flite motors!

Well, last night I changed out the E-Flite Power 60 and replaced it with my Model Motors GOLD AXI-4120/18 and I am very happy with the initial physical looks and manner in which everything just fell in place.

Again, the AXI-4120/18 is a drop in as far as the Bolt pattern for the X-Mount and bolt patterns for Propeller adapter. Therefore, the AXI-4120/18 accepted the E-Flite X-Mount and Propeller Adapter from the Power 46/52/60 series. Yes, the AXI came with its own Propeller adapter, however, the shank threads were of a different pitch and I could not use the Hangar9 optional Spinner and reason why I went with the Hanagar9 Propeller Adapter.

First, I trimmed a little more the inner cavity of Cowl to allow for a little more space for ease of removing and reinstalling the Cowl and making sure motor can spin freely as it was just too close to motor for my taste.

Okay, I went ahead and did a weigh-in analysis of batteries and can tell you that keeping the weight down on my model was the ultimate reason for keeping it a 4-Cell Lithium Polymer System. In past years without so much Brushless motor selections we really could not seem to keep em light as possible, however, with today's incredible selections of different motors we now can and I am taking advantage so, here is the weigh-in of two different battery selections:

This is my Target, 4-Cells that will keep it less than one pound:

This is the minimum battery that I needed in order to keep using the Power 60 and it was just too much weight and hassle to get these batteries in the Stock battery compartment, as a matter of fact, I would have needed to carve out some space and I was not about to modify anything on this nice Balsa model:

Here is a picture showing the AXI-4120-18 with the Optional E-Flite Adpater:

Picture showing the AXI-4120/18 with Optional Adapter and Spinner:

Soldering the Bullet Connectors:

AXI-4120/18 installed on the Model:

to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2015, 12:05 PM

Spinner Nut

I am working with a similar setup but the thread size of my spinner is to small for the EFLM1934, how is this adapted or did hangar 9 include the wrong size spinner?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Feb 17, 2015, 05:29 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioplanit
I am working with a similar setup but the thread size of my spinner is to small for the EFLM1934, how is this adapted or did hangar 9 include the wrong size spinner?

Any help would be much appreciated.
This is a quote from my first posting......

Quote:
Again, the AXI-4120/18 is a drop in as far as the Bolt pattern for the X-Mount and bolt patterns for Propeller adapter. Therefore, the AXI-4120/18 accepted the E-Flite X-Mount and Propeller Adapter from the Power 46/52/60 series.

Yes, the AXI came with its own Propeller adapter, however, the shank threads were of a different pitch and I could not use the Hangar9 optional Spinner and reason why I went with the Hanagar9 Propeller Adapter/Spinner.

Here is the Spinner that I used:
http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...odID=HAN259022

Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 17, 2015 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply