Nov 17, 2013, 10:15 AM

Pandora servo questions

A couple of servo questions, please.

I already ordered a couple of FMS 9g servos, on reverse, plus a Y-cable for the flaps. It now occurs to me that with my Spektrum DX6i radio that the flaps will "pop" very quickly, and I should have sought out a couple of slow-speed flaps servos. Any recommendations on this?

Second, to replace the steering servo with a metal gear variant because of the stripping problem, what size is this servo, and is it a normal or reverse servo?

Thanks much,

jv
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2013, 10:52 AM
You could add a servo rate control; usually used for retract servos, but would work for flaps, too. That's just one more electronic device in the path, though. This is one reason I got a Futaba 7C - I use the knob function to dial in the amount of flap.

The steering servo appears to be a standard size 9g; you can always reverse it in your radio, so direction shouldn't matter. I had to reverse channels 2, 3, and 4 in my transmitter.
Nov 17, 2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
You could add a servo rate control; usually used for retract servos, but would work for flaps, too. That's just one more electronic device in the path, though. This is one reason I got a Futaba 7C - I use the knob function to dial in the amount of flap.

The steering servo appears to be a standard size 9g; you can always reverse it in your radio, so direction shouldn't matter. I had to reverse channels 2, 3, and 4 in my transmitter.
Thanks, yea, don't have the "knob" for flaps on the DX6i, unfortunately. I just ordered a couple of FMS 9g slow, flap servos (one reverse), and a 9g metal gear servo. I like the idea of putting a loop in the control wire, I may do that, too.
Nov 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss
Thanks, yea, don't have the "knob" for flaps on the DX6i, unfortunately. I just ordered a couple of FMS 9g slow, flap servos (one reverse), and a 9g metal gear servo. I like the idea of putting a loop in the control wire, I may do that, too.
Just FYI, the larger diameter the loop, the more flex; also, some use a V, which is stiffer than a loop and takes less wire, but still provides some anti-shock.
Nov 17, 2013, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Just FYI, the larger diameter the loop, the more flex; also, some use a V, which is stiffer than a loop and takes less wire, but still provides some anti-shock.
Gotcha, thanks. Makes sense, though it hadn't occurred to me.

So, on the question of repair - if you have to cut out a crushed section and replace it with a piece of new foam, where can you purchase EPO foam?
Nov 18, 2013, 09:47 PM
This might be over kill. But if you like Spektrum gear the DX9 has a turning type switch that I'm sure can be programed for flaps. It is a good radio for us, as it has a really cool buddy box system. The only issue is the daul rates are harder to setup than my 6J Futaba for a novice like me. One more thing I have found good on the DX9 is it has 3 way switches. The Futaba 6J only has 2 way switches.
I am setting up my flap servos with reversing cable which finally arrived the other day.
Nov 19, 2013, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg law
This might be over kill. But if you like Spektrum gear the DX9 has a turning type switch that I'm sure can be programed for flaps. It is a good radio for us, as it has a really cool buddy box system. The only issue is the daul rates are harder to setup than my 6J Futaba for a novice like me. One more thing I have found good on the DX9 is it has 3 way switches. The Futaba 6J only has 2 way switches.
I am setting up my flap servos with reversing cable which finally arrived the other day.
Thanks,

Well, yes, the DX9 is a $400 transmitter; the DX6i, with receiver, fit my budget at $160 total.
Nov 19, 2013, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It's all good, jv, many folks aren't aware of the difference in the JIS screws, and end up stripping them out with a Phillips driver. That's why I threw it out there.

Unfortunately, winter is coming to my field, and it's too turbulent for a maiden. You never know around here, though, so December could have a week of calm, spring-like days.
We are hoping for good weather in Missouri so that we can get a flight report
Nov 23, 2013, 04:21 PM
I ordered the Freewing 9g servos for the flaps from MotionRC, the plain and reverse, to install the flaps. I noted physical differences, most important was the servo arms are different lengths, with different distances from the center to the control rod holes. Turns out, the part numbers are different; I didn't notice the 9g Standard part number (MA30091) was the same as the 9g Reverse (MA30091R), and had ordered the other 9g (F90181). So, I checked them with a servo tester, and the reverse moved more than the plain, so I measured the amount. The reverse moves ~92.5 degrees, while the plain moves ~79 degrees, with the same command. So, I took some measurements, and determined the second hole from center was just about the same distance from center on each, and, if the control rod is connected to the lowest hole on the flap control arm, the amount of flap movement is just about 31 degrees.
The bottom line: check all part numbers when ordering. Also, connect both servos trough a Y connector to a servo tester, and compare. You don't want one flap moving more than the other.
Last edited by Wintr; Nov 23, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Nov 23, 2013, 04:41 PM
What goes up .....
I'm using a servo reversing cable so the servos are a match. Do you know of any problems with this setup?
Nov 23, 2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacondor
I'm using a servo reversing cable so the servos are a match. Do you know of any problems with this setup?
That's how I run the flaps on my T-28 Trojan; works fine, so far.
Nov 29, 2013, 07:08 PM
the_PilotRyan
Pilots we filmed all four configs of this plane check it out. If you have any questions let us know.
Freewing Pandora 4-in-1 PNP Flight Review - Config 4: High Wing and Tricycle Gear (10 min 8 sec)

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...uGYXLaOnBr2ooT
Dec 05, 2013, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Ryan for the post and the link to the videos. Yep, you can fly it. Wonder how a beginner would do? Any surprises?
Dec 05, 2013, 07:01 PM
the_PilotRyan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowb
Thanks Ryan for the post and the link to the videos. Yep, you can fly it. Wonder how a beginner would do? Any surprises?
I think it's a great plane for beginnerish flyers. I think it would help to have an experienced person be there for the maiden and or trimming and setting it up but after that no bad habits. The power system is very efficient while still being gentle enough not to give anybody the dreaded left torque effects. It really is a great plane.
Dec 06, 2013, 04:14 PM
Ryan I just order and Motion RC just shipped out my Pandora. Man, MotionRC is great in my opinion. So now I have the Pandora to start out with and learn and I bought the FMS P-51 Mustang 1450mm Redtails. I am saving that baby for when I am ready.

Quick Reply