Aug 16, 2019, 10:27 PM
Hey EPA - Ban Glyphosate NOW !
A little concerned about those two screws that hold the tail fins on ... 3x10mm. Are these correct?

They seem very short. My other planes had screws twice this length for the tail.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 12:57 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot
A little concerned about those two screws that hold the tail fins on ... 3x10mm. Are these correct?

They seem very short. My other planes had screws twice this length for the tail.
This Pandora was my first plane, the one that I learned to fly with.

I used it in the tricycle config and the front wheel/strut/steering mechanism were the only things that couldn't withstand the hard forces that happen when learning to land lol.

Since my front steering servo broke and after replacing it a few times with a cheap servo I finally used a quality Savox all metal gear servo, no problems since.

The plastic part in the fuse that hold the front strut was weak also, that was solved also with some wood blocks making everything stronger.

Those are the only 'weak' issues on my Pandora, never had a problem with the tail fitting.
Aug 17, 2019, 01:06 PM
Thanks Icarus - that's consistent with what I've been reading. Hopefully I can be somewhat gentle with the landings

I built up 3 of the 4 configs just to make sure all parts were accounted for and to get familiar with the differences. They look much better in person!

Also installed a 6Ch LemonRx DSMX and satellite. Needed a slightly longer Y cable than the one provided. Swapped with the one in the Sensei - Perfect!

Will be using a Spektrum DX6, and a bunch of old 3S 2200mAh packs (from the helis) to get started. Gonna pick up some 3S 2600s too ...

Can't wait to maiden the Low Wing Tail Dragger Pandora
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Aug 21, 2019 at 09:34 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 09:46 PM
After getting the receiver installed and tested I noticed a slight wobble when viewing the spinning prop from the side.

So, I spent some time tinkering with the prop adapter.

Turns out the front of the motor (where the adapter mounts) isn't as flat/perpendicular to the shaft axis as it could be. Removed some high spots and it's much better now.

Not perfect, but the vibes should be much lower than they would have been had I not done this.

Servos and Y-adapter ordered for the flaps ...
Aug 21, 2019, 01:04 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR4-Pilot
After getting the receiver installed and tested I noticed a slight wobble when viewing the spinning prop from the side.

So, I spent some time tinkering with the prop adapter.

Turns out the front of the motor (where the adapter mounts) isn't as flat/perpendicular to the shaft axis as it could be. Removed some high spots and it's much better now.

Not perfect, but the vibes should be much lower than they would have been had I not done this.

Servos and Y-adapter ordered for the flaps ...
I had the slight wobble as well on mine, but since this was at the time I was just learning to fly I left it like it was didn't kno any better then haha

Never had a problem though with the wobble, it was mostly only visible at low throttle and the slight vibes never gave me any problems.
Aug 21, 2019, 03:00 AM
The Other Side of Your Screen
I was just checking out this plane today on MotionRC ..... how did you get the red one.? It shows out of stock today.

I don't really need another trainer, but think this would be a great touch and go practice plane .... my Decathlon has been down, and the Apprentice gets taken out every now and then - and neither has flaps anyway .... and I realy need something low wing to help me learn to keep from cartwheeling the landings on my warbirds.
Aug 21, 2019, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
I was just checking out this plane today on MotionRC ..... how did you get the red one.? It shows out of stock today.

It was purely timing. The red ones were in stock last couple of weeks while the blue ones were out. Now it seems to be reversed (?) Glad to see they're getting new stock though

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus the 2nd
I had the slight wobble as well on mine, but since this was at the time I was just learning to fly I left it like it was didn't kno any better then haha

Never had a problem though with the wobble, it was mostly only visible at low throttle and the slight vibes never gave me any problems.

At first I thought the prop adapter was bent. I probably spent more time than necessary on this. It's a carry-over from building helis
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Aug 21, 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Aug 21, 2019, 01:43 PM
Awesome .... then I might just be able to wait a short time while I recommend people to buy up the Blue stock so I can get a Red one! Maybe Callie will create some multi color graphic like she has for the apprentice. Or I could order the decal kit for the other color, change it or I could make either as both Red and Blue ..... that would be a non partisan solution.

I have a few Tactic 624 Rx's and a few Admiral stabilized and non stablilzed "6" channel Rx I could put in it. I think I want to use the Tactic TT850 Tx on it as it would be great to finally get to use the sliders on the back side for some fully proportional flaps. Right now I only use it for a few micro SLT TxR planes (AirCore) and my HiTec Zipper.

BTW, what servo's are people finding work/fit best for the flaps on this model? It is still something that has to be optionally added, correct?
Last edited by SilverSport; Aug 21, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
Aug 21, 2019, 03:41 PM
LOL - Non partisan Red white and blue would look pretty cool.

I too would like to know what servos are good/better for flaps. I ordered the recommended Freewing servos ($7) one regular and one reverse. I noticed my old Hitec HS-55s fit in there as well, and they're not super fast (but a reverse module thingy would be needed). The DX6 has a 3 position switch for flaps (no dial unfortunately) so one setting for no flaps, one for 50% flaps, and one for 100% flaps (?)
Aug 21, 2019, 04:06 PM
Yea .... my DX8g2 doesn't have the sliders like the iX12 and the DX18 have, it does have a knob on the top, which I really only use for the volume ... even though I am sure it could be used for gyro gains, or even flaps (like I learned on Real Flite with the Interlink controller all those years ago).

In the video Pilot Mike mentions he uses the FMS slow servos .... probably like the ones on my FMS Staggerwing or FMS 980mm P-40 I guess .... wonder what he would use now, of course out of their inventory since they don't do FMS anymore? I guess if I can put it on a slider, I really don't need it to be a slow servo, it will just depend on my moving the slider slowly.

Oh wow .... it WOULD be Red White and Blue ....

Guess I would have to get Callie to make me some graphics for the underside that I have wanted to put on a plane for just a few seasons - "Stand when these colors fly." Or something punctuated and capitalized a bit differently!
Aug 22, 2019, 03:55 AM
Fly as high as the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport
Yea .... my DX8g2 doesn't have the sliders like the iX12 and the DX18 have, it does have a knob on the top, which I really only use for the volume ... even though I am sure it could be used for gyro gains, or even flaps (like I learned on Real Flite with the Interlink controller all those years ago).

In the video Pilot Mike mentions he uses the FMS slow servos .... probably like the ones on my FMS Staggerwing or FMS 980mm P-40 I guess .... wonder what he would use now, of course out of their inventory since they don't do FMS anymore? I guess if I can put it on a slider, I really don't need it to be a slow servo, it will just depend on my moving the slider slowly.

Oh wow .... it WOULD be Red White and Blue ....

Guess I would have to get Callie to make me some graphics for the underside that I have wanted to put on a plane for just a few seasons - "Stand when these colors fly." Or something punctuated and capitalized a bit differently!
With your DX8 you can slow down the flap servo movement in the flap system menu.
Flaps system menu will only show up of course if you choose the right aircraft type (wing type).

You can either Y the flap servos together when you have a normal one and a reversed one. You can also choose to have the flap servos connected to a separate channel each that's no problem for your DX8 but you need at least a 6ch rx.

The flap servos I used are cheap white ones from HK.
Aug 22, 2019, 10:20 AM
Sounds like the DX6 has the same flap system menu too, somewhere ... have to read some more.
This could be cooler than I thought it would be !

I 'think' the correct setup is Wing: 1 Ail 1 Flap, Tail: Normal (but the asterisk doesn't need to be there)

Those drawings are a little odd ... don't think I understand them completely (?) (pg 34 of DX6 manual)
I 'think' the little rectangles aren't servos but channels instead ... maybe ?

They could be drawn a little better
Last edited by FR4-Pilot; Aug 22, 2019 at 11:21 AM.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:14 PM
I think I tried that on one of my planes ..... the Lanyu 1400mm Super Decathlon I have does have flaps, but they deploy fast. I recall at least one time messing with it and it didn't slow it down, it made it delay before deploying. May have been something else.

Half the reason I got the TTX850 was to use those sliders .... I think I will try it on that one first, if I don't like it I can always move it to the Spek.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:03 PM
Waiting for the next clear day
The sliders were a big reason I got the Taranis X9D+. It was either that one or the DX9 (the cheapest Spekrum with sliders). The DX9 was more expensive and didn't have telemetry at the time. It was an easy choice.
Tony
Aug 22, 2019, 08:00 PM
Seems to work very well, actually.
I'm testing things out with ailerons, since my flap servos haven't arrived yet:
Slow Flaps - Aileron Test (0 min 21 sec)

First: 0 flaps, then 50%, then 100%, then 50% then 0.
Second: 0 flaps, then 100%, then 0.
Speed set to 5.0s, Wing: 1 Ail 1 Flap, Tail: Normal

Quick Reply