Freewing Pandora - RC Groups
Nov 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
Discussion

Freewing Pandora

Any preflight mods need to be done to Freewing Pandora?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2013, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowb
Any preflight mods need to be done to Freewing Pandora?
Oh, wow, did you get it already?

I take it you're a beginner, like me; is that so? I'm really curious to hear how you find it. Are you going to do any simulator work first?
Nov 11, 2013, 07:13 PM
I am trying to find out a little more about this plane before ordering. I have been flying with a simulator using a Spektrum dx6i tx while I have been shopping for a plane.
Nov 12, 2013, 06:00 PM
Well, I didn't get any replies of input on the Pandora but I kept digging. If anyone is interested there is a good bit of info out there on the Blitzrcworks Star Trainer. The planes seem to be the same.
Nov 12, 2013, 09:27 PM
I'm not exactly a beginner, but I ordered the Pandora, too. The idea of high wing and low wing in the same model is interesting, and I thought I'd check it out. I'll go over it closely, looking for weakness; it should be here in a couple of days.
Nov 12, 2013, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
I'm not exactly a beginner, but I ordered the Pandora, too. The idea of high wing and low wing in the same model is interesting, and I thought I'd check it out. I'll go over it closely, looking for weakness; it should be here in a couple of days.
Please let us know how it goes,
Thanks
Nov 13, 2013, 11:32 AM
According to UPS, it's on the truck; it should be here before 5pm, CST. Woo-Hoo!
Nov 13, 2013, 05:13 PM

First impressions

Overall, this is a model made for a beginner. The main gear wire is 3.5mm, and tail wheel is on 2mm wire, which is very strong for a model this size.
The large TD wheels are 10cm, and are securely mounted with 4 3x18mm lag-type screws. The same screws are used to mount the tricycle mains through plastic brackets. The tail wheel is 3.5cm, and the wire is well supported with a plastic bracket, that is screwed to the tail, and acts as a second bearing for the wire. I see no reason not to leave the tail wheel mounted, even in tricycle config, as it will help protect the tail on nose-high landings.
The tricycle main wheels are 6cm, and the nose is 5cm; plenty large for pavement or short grass. One of the review comments was that the steering servo strips, and should be replaced with a metal gear servo for tricycle use. Looking at the nose gear, one can see why: the wire bends forward, which will cause the wheel to yank on the control rod on touch down. Putting a loop in the control wire may reduce the damage.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd7fef1ae.jpg
That plastic bracket is just for show.
Another potential weak point is the support for the nose gear. It is plastic, and will flex against the foam behind it, causing the foam to compress, which allows more flex, and so on, until the plastic breaks. I plan to glue in a CF strip between the plastic and foam, filling any gaps with a flexible adhesive.
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps47878308.jpg
Last edited by Wintr; Nov 13, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
Nov 13, 2013, 05:23 PM

more observations

The wing is strong, and has a spar running full length of each panel, with a 17cm long CF tube to support it in the wing root assembly, 5cm of which fits into a corresponding tube in the root. It is a very snug fit, and two small screws attach the wing through tabs. You can see the spars in shadow in this photo:
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps06a081fe.jpg
You can also see the mostly molded flap and servo mount; it came with the control horns for the flap. One servo must be reversed, though, because the servos mount the same way the aileron servos do, unless you modify one wing panel.
There is plenty of room in the fuse to mount your receiver. In this photo, the blue-tinted area is part of the wing root and/or fuse bottom panel, the rest is available:
http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/a...psbfe86408.jpg
Speaking of wing root, there are two, with corresponding cockpit and fuse bottom sections. The canopy used with the low-wing config snaps in place with magnets, while the bottom panel is screwed on, the same way the wing would be. You can store the extra set in their normal place, under the canopy, while in the low-wing config.
Nov 13, 2013, 05:30 PM

a final note

If you don't have them already, I suggest you get a set of JIS standard screwdrivers, as they fit much better than Phillips. The model comes with a small JIS screwdriver, but it is really too small for the screws you'll be adjusting the most.
If you change the config often, however, you may want to get same-sized screws with Allen heads.
Nov 13, 2013, 05:34 PM
Excellent posts, thank you! I'm eagerly anticipating the delivery of my Pandora by Santa Claus; I hope to benefit from your experiences.

Thanks,

jv
Nov 13, 2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr
If you don't have them already, I suggest you get a set of JIS standard screwdrivers, as they fit much better than Phillips. The model comes with a small JIS screwdriver, but it is really too small for the screws you'll be adjusting the most.
If you change the config often, however, you may want to get same-sized screws with Allen heads.
Holy Cow, I was not even aware of "JIS standard screwdrivers" until your post. Now that I reflect on it, it explains a lot.

Thanks!

jv

p.s. can you say what size JIS screwdrivers I should have on hand?
Last edited by jviss; Nov 13, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Nov 13, 2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks, Wintr. Those are great informative posts about the Pandora. We are now waiting for a report on whether the plane performs as you would expect. At first look, this plane is what a new flyer like me would want, but I certainly might be wrong. It is large enough to fly in a little wind, has a high wing config., it is a 4 channel, has dihedral, tail dragger config., offered by a dealer with a good reputation, and is backed by available parts. Please keep us posted on how it flies
Nov 13, 2013, 08:18 PM

Info

I too am interested in the Pandora. If you go to the motionrc.com website there are a few review's. It seems to be a pretty good a/c.
Frank
Nov 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviss
Holy Cow, I was not even aware of "JIS standard screwdrivers" until your post. Now that I reflect on it, it explains a lot.

Thanks!

jv

p.s. can you say what size JIS screwdrivers I should have on hand?
A #2 fits the wing mounting screws best, as well as the quick-link type screws on the servos. A #0 fits the cowl screws best, which is the size of the included driver. For the screws that mount the tail wheel bracket, a #1 fits the head best, but doesn't clear the bracket well on the aft screw, so I used the included driver to finish tightening it. The wheel mounting screws will take either the #2 or #1; probably #1 is the better fit, but either will work. Basically, get a #2 and #1; I got kits of 4 each, one from #2 to #00, the other #1 to #000, all from searching eBay.
This type also fits standard Phillips screws well, since the main difference is the tip is more blunted in the JIS.