This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 10, 2013, 12:38 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Cool

HANGAR9 F4U-1D .50 Size Corsair!

Guys!

What a Baby Doll of a model....this thing can fly really slow, I mean there is another RC Club member that has a converted Glow-To-Electric Eindekker E-1 with the same wing span as my Hangar9 F4U-1D .50 Size and it was seen flying faster! Well, at least the owner does not want to risk a stall on that Eindekker E-1. Additionally, that Eindekker is so big that the E-Flite 46 (yes, he is using the same power system) gets lost in that large round Cowling!

Anyway, going back to my new acquired (Discontinued) HANGAR9 F4U-1D .50 size Electric Corsair, it was a dream come true as the model behaved just magically with super gentle manners (I did take off and flew it with Low rates, Ailerons 78% Low, +20 Expo, Rudder the same and most importantly the Elevator the same) and never went to High Rates!

The Master Airscrew 3-Blade 13 X 8 X 3 (Part Number T1380) was rather a disappointment as it did NOT seem to have enough Get UP and GO but, I placed the model facing a good head wind coming from the North (Runway is North-South) so, it took off very scale like and once in the Air it finally unloaded a bit but, I was so scared from taking it off from FULL THROTTLE....it was not until perhaps 2 minute mark of the flight that I did reduce to 3/4 throttle.

Landing was something to look at and witness in person, really. This model does NOT need any stinking flaps like the HANGAR9 designer mention in the John Redman Video interview almost 2 years ago! In the last turn over the Lake, I found myself almost Dead Stick and I gently pushed the throttle back to just below 1/4 throttle and it came in like a BABY DOLL and when it was one (1) foot off the artificial Asphalt runway, I killed the throttle completely and it just continued to float down the runway and against the 10 MPH steady head wind!

This model will be one of my best in the fleet and I am glad I am returning to Balsa instead of Foam!

EDIT: VIDEO showing Retract Operation after replacing the offending E-Flite Y-Connector Harness!
Hangar9 F4U-1D Electric Corsair 50 size E-Flite Retract Operation 11-09-2013 (1 min 30 sec)

A few pictures thanks to my buddy, Gerry Rivera (simano):

TAKE OFF:

Gaining Altitude in a SCALE Manner:

It is a KEEPER!!!

For those that like a larger Picture Format then, please visit:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l#post11659161

Here is that German Eindecker mono plane that I mentioned using the same Power System! Of course he had the APC "E" 2-blade 14 X 8

Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 11, 2013 at 04:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2013, 01:19 PM
Jungmeister 55
I enjoyed watching this Corsair fly as much as I enjoyed photographing it. The F-4U is one of those planes that, no matter the angle, always yields great photos!!!.

Gerry.
Nov 10, 2013, 01:27 PM
Plane Nuts
A long way from your old gws zero. Great job on the maiden.

Maidened my highly bashed Seagull Dual Ace twin and H9 katana 50 yesterday. The new twin tails on the dual ace fly awesome. Even had an engine out and didn't notice any difference in flight.

Got to make it back there for a visit.

Rob
Nov 11, 2013, 06:10 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Oh my Lord! I flew this model with a Power 60!

Guys,

The older gentleman that sold me this model had an eBay ad that showed it had a E-Flite Power 60 and then, when I picked it up he gave me what was supposed to be the BOX showing a Power 46!

Talk about massive confusion! It's no wonder that this thing did not have enough Airspeed! I was flying with just 4-Cells, 3300mAH, Lithium Polymers and as most of you know the Power 60 delivers just 400Kv!

I am glad the model did not crash on take-off and instead it flew very scale like and once in the air it did very well considering!

Okay a few pictures of the mass confusion!

Lessons learned: ALWAYS OPEN UP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU GO FLY!

Nov 11, 2013, 06:15 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Oh, My Lord! I flew it with a Power 60!

So,

I am looking for some 3-Cells to connect to other 3-Cells in series for better performance and get UP and go!

Stay Tuned!
Last edited by PittSpecial; Nov 11, 2013 at 06:51 AM.
Nov 11, 2013, 07:30 AM
Plane Nuts
just goes to show that it will cruise around and even do aerobatics with little power. A power 60 will hover that thing at half throttle. A power 52 is more than enough for unlimited vertical.

H9 stuff always flies great - people may complain about the price but it is worth it. Much better performing and thought out planes.

Rob
Nov 11, 2013, 07:59 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
I have found two (2) 3-Cell, 3300mAH, 30C discharge Lithium Polymer Packs and found the Series connector!

They are charging as I type!
Nov 11, 2013, 10:39 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
This Power 60 already sticks out 3/4 of an inch and a Full Inch to the edge of where the Output shaft meets so, yes, I will purchase the recommended E-Flite Propeller Adapter for sure in order to get the propeller closer to the cowl.

I just fitted the two (2) 3-Cell, 3300mAH, 30C discharge Packs and they fit in like a Glove. Certainly, they do not provide long flight times but, for 4 - 5 minute flight is all good for me.

I will shop around for the smaller 4,000mAH cells soon.

Carlos
Sep 06, 2015, 07:51 AM
Right Rudder
Thread OP

Turnigy 5-Cells, 4000mAH, 30C, LiPoly and 3-Blade 13 X 8

Guys,

I had been flying this super nice discontinued Hangar9 F4U Corsair with the APC 13 X 10 "E" propeller and just 4-Cells, 4000mAH, 30C Lithium Polymers. The model took off at FULL THROTTLE like it was never going to gain any airspeed. So much was my concern that I had to quickly put UP the retracts as soon as it lifted off the ground and then, and only then it finally gain some respectable airspeed and my throttle setting was around 3/4 throttle for good cursing speed. There were some questionable times where I really felt uncomfortable and stopped flying the model.

Fast forward to just one week ago when I finally received my brand new Turnigy 5-Cell, 4000mAH, 30C discharge, Lithium Polymer and finding the Master Airscrew 3-Blade, 13 X 8 X 3 propeller, the results were spectacular! Runway run-UP was with much better speed gain and raise off ground (ROG) was effortlessly and with good power. The model cruises nicely one click above 1/2 (half) throttle and with very good airspeed. The amazing part is between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle the model can be slowed down (main gear UP) like a large park flyer (5 mistakes high!).

In summary, the model is just amazing with this power setup!

Quick Reply