Jan 09, 2018, 05:15 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give the microphone idea a go when I can find something suitable with audio gain, reasonable postage cost and no risk of a customs fee hit. Everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment RMRC included.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 09, 2018, 07:18 AM

stick v servo travel

I built my Tundra with max control surface travel all round. I tested it first with the servos connected directly to the Rx. All looked good.

Then I fitted a Vector system. I'm fairly familiar with Vector - this will be the third plane I've used it with.
I ran the Rx Analysis Wizard (remembering to set to max rates on the Tx). All looked good.

But then I realized I'm now getting slightly reduced travel on the rudder and elevator with a little bit of "dead" movement on the sticks at the extremes of the stick travel. The ailerons remain spot on in all respects.

The rudder and elevator servos are hitec HS-65 servos set to 150% travel. The ailerons are Tundra stock servos set to 100% travel.

Is there a restriction with Vector whereby it only goes to 100% ?
Jan 09, 2018, 01:15 PM
s'like freakin' NASA in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacklashRC View Post
I use one on all of my airframes. Sound helps troubleshoot in the event of a malfunction. Also, in at least two cases, I have seen people land some distance from themselves only to have people talk about stealing the UAV. These conversations were caught on the ground station recording. (In some states recording audio in public requires that all parties consent, so be careful with this.)
I wish I could use a mic on my plane... I've tried 2 mics, and 2 different 1.2ghz vtx's and I still get this loud buzzing noise that makes it pretty much useless. No idea where it is coming from.
Jan 09, 2018, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsSummer View Post
Thanks guys. I'll give the microphone idea a go when I can find something suitable with audio gain, reasonable postage cost and no risk of a customs fee hit. Everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment RMRC included.
Ive got my groundstation setup to send audio down to my dvr and goggles. Decided to buy those cheap mics from bg
They works will for me a while back so they should work again.

Would be call to hear the vector talk to me
Jan 09, 2018, 04:34 PM
Last edited by matchbox; Jan 18, 2018 at 06:00 AM.
Jan 09, 2018, 07:29 PM

Artificial Horizon

Before I ask the question I'd like to thank all the members whom have helped me with this setup.

I have everything working well with my fixed wing Artizan as I await a Mini Talon. Aircraft flies level, holds altitude, returns to home etc.
While flying hands off sticks in stab off mode the plane flies straight and level so It is mechanically trimmed correctly. It also flies straight and level hands off in 2D and 2DH modes. No complaints there at all. In fact I can fly this 1.5 kg (approx) plane in winds of 35 km with 50 km gusts using stab. Really amazing actually.
There is one last thing is like to tweak.
While flying straight and level in any mode and holding altitude the artificial horizon shows approx 10 degrees nose up. It is possible that the plane is actually at this attitude and that's how it likes to fly. So....
Is there a way to just move the AI to the centre (0 degrees) without actually messing with the "set level" feature. I dont want to mess with it and have the craft climbing or diving hands off in 2D but would like to have the AI showing level when the craft is maintaing altitude without alt hold.
Thanks for reading!
Jan 09, 2018, 08:03 PM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by energeezer View Post
While flying straight and level in any mode and holding altitude the artificial horizon shows approx 10 degrees nose up. It is possible that the plane is actually at this attitude and that's how it likes to fly. So....
Is there a way to just move the AI to the centre (0 degrees) without actually messing with the "set level" feature. I dont want to mess with it and have the craft climbing or diving hands off in 2D but would like to have the AI showing level when the craft is maintaing altitude without alt hold.
Thanks for reading!
If you mean that the AHI is showing 10 degrees above the horizon that's the camera angle. If that's not what you mean and the AHI is indicating a 10 degree climb then the level setting is off. Even with it off the plane will fly level in 2DH because of the altitude hold. In 2D it would probably lose altitude. Setting it correctly is easy. Fly in 2DH (preferably no/low wind) and let it settle in. When your happy with it toggle the mode switch 5 times. Done!

Most planes do not fly with the wings/fuse level, most fly with a slight nose up attitude so if you set the level on the bench that will lead to the AHII indicating the slight nose up attitude. Setting the level in the air as described above is easy and get's it right on.
Jan 09, 2018, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmel View Post
I wish I could use a mic on my plane... I've tried 2 mics, and 2 different 1.2ghz vtx's and I still get this loud buzzing noise that makes it pretty much useless. No idea where it is coming from.
What type of microphone is it
Jan 09, 2018, 08:59 PM
Three ways to do your microphone. Depending on the element and what the problem is.

Common-mode current

#1.... connect 0.01 F and 0.001 F 50-Volt disc ceramic capacitor from the red ( + ) to the black ( ) output terminals at the microphone element

De-coupling phantom DC power

#2....install a 1 F non-polarized tantalum capacitor in series with + mic lead. You may get by with a .68 F or a .47 uF, but anything less (.01 F, .005 F, etc.) will not pass any audio worth listening to

#3..... Toroid on element wire. At least 5 wraps
Jan 10, 2018, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotsSummer View Post
These mics are easy to use and have level adjust.

https://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Tiny-Mic...Connector.html

And great customer service.

Geoff
Jan 10, 2018, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf View Post

Most planes do not fly with the wings/fuse level, most fly with a slight nose up attitude so if you set the level on the bench that will lead to the AHII indicating the slight nose up attitude. Setting the level in the air as described above is easy and get's it right on.
Ya. Kinda thought so. I've been procrastinating with regards to in air levelling because I have limited channels on my receiver and limited switching on my JR 9503. This led to mixing switches on the mode channel instead of using sub mode which in turn meant that to toggle the mode switch I had to toggle 2 three position switches at the same time. Timing is everything lol. I have since free'd up a channel after following your procedure for gains incorporating a few pages back. I will now reconfig mode/submode switches so I can toggle mode using 1 switch. Then Ill have the nuts to do in-flight level.
BTW. Your process for gains incorporating worked great. Thanks for that!
Jan 10, 2018, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
These mics are easy to use and have level adjust.

https://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Tiny-Mic...Connector.html

And great customer service.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, I'll have a look.
Jan 10, 2018, 10:19 AM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by energeezer View Post
Ya. Kinda thought so. I've been procrastinating with regards to in air levelling because I have limited channels on my receiver and limited switching on my JR 9503. This led to mixing switches on the mode channel instead of using sub mode which in turn meant that to toggle the mode switch I had to toggle 2 three position switches at the same time. Timing is everything lol. I have since free'd up a channel after following your procedure for gains incorporating a few pages back. I will now reconfig mode/submode switches so I can toggle mode using 1 switch. Then Ill have the nuts to do in-flight level.
BTW. Your process for gains incorporating worked great. Thanks for that!
It seems like only yesterday when I used to hear "How could you possibly use more than 8 channels?"! Glad the gain tuning worked out.
Jan 10, 2018, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchbox View Post
Are you in "stab off" when testing your travels?
Yes, stab was off thanks.

I'm guessing that the Vector can only generate PWM signals between the range of around 880 to 2160 microseconds.
A Taranis can generates a range of 732 to 2268 microseconds depending on settings.

I think some sort of difference in valid range explains the dead areas at the extremes of my Taranis stick travel. I'll experiment on it this weekend if I get the chance.
Jan 10, 2018, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf View Post
It seems like only yesterday when I used to hear "How could you possibly use more than 8 channels?"! Glad the gain tuning worked out.
Yep. When using Safe and flying warbirds LOS I never really understood channel limitation
either or the need for range. My existing radio equipment is fine for that purpose but is showing limitations now.
Now I understand the criticism against the manfacturer who charges a premium for just a 9 channel radio regardless of its build quality and the possibility it may be range limited compared to some other brands.
Having said that my JR9503 is rock solid reliable and has a true quality heft and feel about it despite its limitations. Glad I bought it used but a little disappointed I still paid as much as a new X9D.
My excuse.....FPV was not on my radar 4 years ago when I bought my radio.
Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply