Thread Tools
Nov 17, 2013, 02:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker
You can always get ail diff mechanically on one channel by moving the servo horns for cam effect.

My next plane I do want flatiron programming on inboard flaps though.

Disappointed there is no autonomy in Vector yet.
nope, because I still need to move them both up for air brakes (big glider).
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2013, 03:28 PM
Registered User
I am vary excited for this OSD!!!!

I have been looking at getting a good OSD that has RTL and other nice features, but the only ones I have liked have been a lot of money or need a lot of programming and trouble shooting to get them working. I am wanting something thats cost effective, and does not take a lot of time to get it working right!

Question:

Has there been any thought of adding the capability to GPS track a OSD flight controller? So if your plane or quad does go down you can still track it to its landing point.
Nov 17, 2013, 04:35 PM
Registered User
nickboul's Avatar
Are you planning to upgate the pc software for the old system? It is a really cool feature to have a preview of the screen.

Will you offer upgrade packages for old customers?
Nov 17, 2013, 09:24 PM
Pseudo-Pilot
emagnee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillas
Will you offer upgrade packages for old customers?
Great question!
Nov 18, 2013, 03:29 AM
Registered User
WEREE's Avatar
Finally ET has something for multirotor autopilot! I will probably be getting one for a multirotor project.

But what about helicopter autopilot support? It shouldn't be hard to do once you have multirotor autopilot. Of course, for collective pitch helicopters, we need to control throttle and pitch separately.

The DJI Naza-H cheats a little and just sets the throttle to some fixed value and then controls the power only through pitch -- essentially a 1-point throttle curve. To be safe, I'd set the throttle to slightly high level like 90% "flat" curve. But adding a simple 3-point throttle curve shouldn't be hard to do. Please don't forget us helicopter FPV enthusiasts!
Nov 18, 2013, 10:02 AM
Pseudo-Pilot
emagnee's Avatar
I just ripped all of my FPV equipment from my trusty old Magister yesterday for my long-awaited purpose-built FPV plane that I plan to take my time and build over the winter. While researching possible upgrades to my OSD Pro last night, I came across this, and it looks very promising! My dilemma now is whether or not to delay my build for this device.

In looking back through the forums, I see that the OSD Pro was announced on 9/4/08, and the first units began shipping on 5/25/09 - about 7 mos. after the announcement. The Eagle Eyes ground station was announced on 5/11/19, and the first units began shipping around 2/18/10 - about 9 mos. after the announcement. My question for Bill is - Is the Vector at about the same stage of development as the other two mentioned devices were at the time of their announcements?
Nov 18, 2013, 11:46 AM
Registered User
Please Bill give us an Android software...
Nov 19, 2013, 03:45 AM
Registered User
Himalaya's Avatar
This will make my quad really neat, with almost everything needed built in. Can't wait to have one.
Nov 19, 2013, 05:46 AM
Registered User
wazoo22's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by emagnee
I just ripped all of my FPV equipment from my trusty old Magister yesterday for my long-awaited purpose-built FPV plane that I plan to take my time and build over the winter. While researching possible upgrades to my OSD Pro last night, I came across this, and it looks very promising! My dilemma now is whether or not to delay my build for this device.

In looking back through the forums, I see that the OSD Pro was announced on 9/4/08, and the first units began shipping on 5/25/09 - about 7 mos. after the announcement. The Eagle Eyes ground station was announced on 5/11/19, and the first units began shipping around 2/18/10 - about 9 mos. after the announcement. My question for Bill is - Is the Vector at about the same stage of development as the other two mentioned devices were at the time of their announcements?
Glad someone took the time to look into this.
We all know when introducing a new product that's as sophisticated (and tiny) as the Vector, it's tough to get all the ducks lined up and the bugs exterminated, and it can take a few weeks or even months. But now at least we know what we're waiting for. It's also an unanswerable question, I think.
As for me, I'm gonna assume a similar time delay, and live with it.
Nov 19, 2013, 06:36 AM
Registered User
Himalaya's Avatar
So there will be Bluetooth/WiFi built-in or add-on adapter and iOS/Android software to do the adjustments in the field in a effortless way rather than fighting hard digging in the OSD menu. Right?
Nov 19, 2013, 08:15 PM
billpa's Avatar
Thread OP
All, thanks for all the questions - if I missed something just ask again!!

Redemptioner, WOW, thanks for the offer! We will definitely be in touch via PM.

ortego,
Quote:
Is there a setup guide for adjusting/setting up your sticks, motors and ESCs? Is PID tuning done in software or all on screen (OSD screen setup) or both? Sensor calibration?
Nearly all setup/tuning features are available BOTH in the on-screen menus and the PC menu. Some people want nothing to do with PC setup (or are at the field without one) and others never want to touch on-screen menus, and we've tried to accommodate everybody.

Quote:
One thing that people seem to like a lot but hasn't been available in many controllers is PID profiles. So one can change between different PID settings.
You can save and restore the Vector's full configuration via your PC, and the PID settings are part of those configuration files, so yes.
Quote:
Do you have any high resolution videos of a multirotor with a vector to see how it flies? For fixed wings there are plenty of videos of the guardian so we sort of know what to expect. For multirotors not so much.
We'll be posting more and more videos as we go along.

Maxintheair,
Quote:
Has there been any thought of adding the capability to GPS track a OSD flight controller? So if your plane or quad does go down you can still track it to its landing point.
The Vector works with our EagleEyes ground station which can drive an antenna tracker, and also can display the present/last GPS position and display the flight path in Google Earth.

gorillas,
Quote:
Are you planning to upgate the pc software for the old system? It is a really cool feature to have a preview of the screen.
We will look into this, as time permits!
Quote:
Will you offer upgrade packages for old customers?
Let me get back to you on this as we get closer to shipping the product.

WEREE,
Quote:
But what about helicopter autopilot support? It shouldn't be hard to do once you have multirotor autopilot. Of course, for collective pitch helicopters, we need to control throttle and pitch separately.
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't want to rule that out. We'll need to look into this more once we get the Vector shipped with its present feature set.

emagnee,
Quote:
On looking back through the forums, I see that the OSD Pro was announced on 9/4/08, and the first units began shipping on 5/25/09 - about 7 mos. after the announcement. The Eagle Eyes ground station was announced on 5/11/19, and the first units began shipping around 2/18/10 - about 9 mos. after the announcement. My question for Bill is - Is the Vector at about the same stage of development as the other two mentioned devices were at the time of their announcements?
Wow, great question (and observation). I believe we are much farther along in production now than we were when those products were announced. But, the Vector won't ship until it's ready!

michel49,
Quote:
Please Bill give us an Android software...
We definitely want to have that! It will be after the Vector's initial release though.

wazoo22,
Quote:
It's also an unanswerable question, I think.
No truer words were ever spoken!!

Himalaya,
Quote:
So there will be Bluetooth/WiFi built-in or add-on adapter and iOS/Android software to do the adjustments in the field in a effortless way rather than fighting hard digging in the OSD menu. Right?
A couple of notes:
a) The on-screen menus are really easy to use. It takes on the order of a minute or two to configure controller settings from scratch. Customizing the display is faster/easier with PC setup of course, but typically that's not done at the field.
b) we have a lot of plans/ideas around the "UART" port of the Vector, including a bluetooth interface, but those won't be finalized or realized until after the Vector ships.
Nov 20, 2013, 07:55 AM
Registered User
Very promising new osd!

Apropos Android sofware: The new customizing via the aileron stick seems to be intuitive and quick - an app for this seems to be neat but not necessery in my opinion.

But it would be definately great if it is possible to display the telemetry data (via the ET Ground Station) to your smartphone (GE Tracking, Instruments from the Windows Applications etc.) Any (further) plans on that?
Nov 20, 2013, 09:39 AM
Team Basement RC
Yuvski's Avatar
been using Eagle eyes since I started flying FPV, crashed my OSDpro many moons ago, LOVE the 2D/3D (own 3 units) really looking forward to this most amazing (Gordon Ramsay) OSD combo.

in a desperate need for a new OSD/GS and been considering switching to RVosd/GS, so my question is, how long aprox. before this becomes available, are we looking at 2-3 months, worth the wait... but if it's more like 5-6 months...

Fantashtic product!
Nov 20, 2013, 12:30 PM
JohnET's Avatar
Redemptioner,

Seems the PM link is missing on your page. Maybe PMs are disabled? Can you shoot me a PM with your email address?

Regards, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
Mate hit me up with a PM, happy to work through a tone of things with you, have a few of you OSD setups so I know what works/does not work and what pains me to use on them (as well as other FC's). Also had a lot of experience with other FC's as I do UAV services as a profession as well as doing FPV multicopter racing and LR FPV fixed wings.

I also do very detailed builds so happy to do later reviews for you on a bunch of different airframes (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1903557).
Nov 20, 2013, 07:39 PM
Professional UAV Services
Redemptioner's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnET
Redemptioner,

Seems the PM link is missing on your page. Maybe PMs are disabled? Can you shoot me a PM with your email address?

Regards, John
NP John, done


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools