The Great FPV Scavenger Hunt - November

Splash

Thousands of dollars in prizes from your favorite FPV dealers

Alright goggle jockeys, charge your batts and make sure you're recording, 'cause you now have a chance to win some epic fpv gear every month in the RCGroups.com Great FPV Scavenger Hunt. We have some big-name dealers donating fpv-related components as well as fpv-ready turn key aircraft! RCGroups will also be giving away 12 month Plus memberships along with the prizes... it's just that awesome.

The contest

Every month, we'll choose a few objects that you must find while flying fpv. These will either be man-made or naturally occurring, and nothing will be placed by us; everything is already out there. Once you spot the item(s) for the month, create a short video from your flight camera or HD camera, highlighting the items. Upload it to either Youtube or Vimeo, and title it: The RCGroups Great FPV Scavenger Hunt: June (or whatever month the contest is on). At the end of the month, everyone who has successfully spotted the items on video and met the rules criteria will be assigned a number. We'll choose the winner from a random-number generator.

The rules

Yes, every contest has rules (bummer, right?), but we think these are fair enough to allow for some healthy competition. And since this is a new contest, we reserve the right to adjust the rules if someone decides to cheat the system (yea, we're THAT hardcore).

The Great FPV Scavenger Hunt rules:

• You must fly fpv while spotting objects. No line-of-sight (los) flying will be accepted as an entry. We expect you to use the honor system on this rule, but if we think you are not flying fpv, we may ask you to prove it.
  • All video used in the contest must be yours, No copyrighted music will be allowed in the video unless you own the copyright. No 3rd party logos, symbols, or websites will be allowed in the contest entry videos (the exception will be the RCGroups.com logo/url, and the sponsor's logos).
  • New and previously captured video will be accepted. No entry videos will be accepted that have been loaded before the contest start date. In other words, you can use video from previously recorded flight, but you will need to compile it into a new video titled: The RCGroups Great FPV Scavenger Hunt: month
  • The spotted objects must be clear enough for us to identify in your video. Feel free to pause the video, or add text markers when the object is on screen... anything that makes the items stand out!
  • All RCGroups members can play, but those outside of North America must pay actual shipping charges on any prizes won.
  • Be safe! We'll do our best to choose objects for the scavenger hunt that don't require dive-bombing the general public to get the shot, but ultimately you are responsible for the safe operation of your aircraft. RCGroups.com, its affiliates, sponsors, and employees will not be held responsible for any incidents that may occur during this contest or at any time.

The sponsors

So far, we have a great group of sponsors on board, and the list will be growing as the contest gains momentum. If you are a dealer and interested in donating, please contact Matt (webdr).

Sponsors:

• Readymaderc
  • RangeVideo
  • Hobbyking
  • TrueRC
  • Skylark FPV
  • Video Aerial Systems
  • ChickenSashimiFPV
  • Mongrel Gear

Have fun!

Get out there, fly FPV. Relax. Have a good time. No whining. Be safe. Did I cover everything? Oh yea... good luck!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 06, 2013 at 02:39 PM..
Nov 07, 2013, 08:46 AM
The Great FPV Scavenger Hunt for November is sponsored by Chicken Sashimi FPV, Video Aerial Systems, and Hobbyking
This month, we have prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, as well as 1-year RCGroups.com PLUS memberships for all 3!

Grand Prize:
A pair of BluBeam Ultra antennas from Video Aerial Systems (your frequency choice). * See post #11 for alternative antenna options.
A 1 year RCGroups.com PLUS membership

Second Place
A Hobbyking Bixler II

Third Place
Airframe Decal set (for the Zephyr or similar wing) or a pile of stickers at equal value from Chicken Sashimi FPV.

Scavenger Hunt items:
1. Capture a kite flying.
2. Dawn Patrol! Capture the rising sun (no setting-sun foolery allowed!)
3. Fixed-wing: Fly inverted for at least 20 seconds, followed by 2 loops. Multi-rotor: Fly backwards for at least 20 seconds, followed by 3 consecutive 360-degree yaw turns (don't get dizzy!). Ground pounders: Drive backwards for 1 minute.

Read the contest rules before you start! Remember, you must be flying FPV while capturing the items on video. Create a video with the items you captured while flying FPV, and title it: The RCGroups Great FPV Scavenger Hunt: November, then post it to this thread. November's contest will run through the 30th, at which time we will assign all entries a number, and choose a winner from a random number generator.
Good luck and have fun!
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 07, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Nov 07, 2013, 08:52 AM
AGL Aerial Video Solutions
Kite? Hmmmm. Can we tow a kite with another plane? Possible, we shall see....
Nov 07, 2013, 09:10 AM
Horray...Let's begin.

@Matt: does a flying parachute counts in? I've had that felling and captured something last weekend

Nov 07, 2013, 09:34 AM
Traction kites/stunt kites are fine. We're looking for a kite flying in the traditional sense. No towing it like a banner from an rc aircraft.
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Nov 14, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Nov 07, 2013, 09:55 AM
FPV enthousiast
Cool items!

I hope we get a sunrise at all in this part of the year...
It's grey grey grey...

Now, where did I left my kite...
Nov 07, 2013, 09:57 AM
time to find a kite club.... brb
Nov 07, 2013, 10:08 AM
Unfortunately, work has called dibs on my backside. I was hoping to enter this month but look forward to seeing everyones vids. I've just started in FPV and heard about this on the podcast. Great idea guys! Having objectives just makes it so much more fun and the possibility of winning cool stuff to boot! Thanks for starting this, to those doing it, and to the sponsors!
Nov 07, 2013, 11:08 AM
Just to clarify, you can go right side up and do the two loops after inverted flight, correct?
Nov 07, 2013, 11:14 AM
Yep, right side up is fine. 20 seconds of inverted followed by two loops (orientation does not matter for the loops).
Nov 07, 2013, 12:10 PM
Engineer for Christ
I want to add to this: If anyone wants to trade-up their BlueBeam Ultras they can do so for the following:

5.8GHz: 12.5dbic Black cannon
2.4GHz: 12.5dbic Black cannon or 10dbic Crosshair
1.3GHz: 9.5 dbic helical or a 10dbic Crosshair
910MHz: 10dbic crosshair

Good luck in searching!

-Alex
Nov 07, 2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks Alex, Ive added this to the prize post.
Nov 07, 2013, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
I want to add to this: If anyone wants to trade-up their BlueBeam Ultras they can do so for the following:

5.8GHz: 12.5dbic Black cannon
2.4GHz: 12.5dbic Black cannon or 10dbic Crosshair
1.3GHz: 9.5 dbic helical or a 10dbic Crosshair
910MHz: 10dbic crosshair

Good luck in searching!

-Alex
That is great I am looking for a Black Cannon!
Nov 07, 2013, 12:47 PM
Hey, that's cool. I'd like to have Alex's antennas but I think this is first time I want to be second instead of first
Nov 07, 2013, 03:09 PM
going to assume powered kites don't count either?

Quick Reply