1926 FORD Flivver A2 - RC Groups
Nov 06, 2013, 01:59 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Build Log

1926 FORD Flivver A2

Going to change up this project and add a few cylinders.....
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2013, 01:39 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

Bought the engine from Tom - "teeceeveecee"

SDV_0094 (4 min 51 sec)
Nov 08, 2013, 09:01 PM

So, you're going with the "Anzani"-powered version...

Dear Simages:

The PIPE Here - looks like you're going with the Anzani-powered version...!

The first "Flivver" used an opposed twin mill, much like the small Saito 60TS and 90TS for our models, AND in the below late-1920s video footage...

Ford Flivver 3218 (1928) (1 min 5 sec)

...and later the Flivver would use a slightly more modern version of the three-jug, "lower-power" Anzani radial mill, much as it powered aircraft from about 20 years before in the "Pioneer Era"...do you recognize WHERE this one in the following video exists today, which actually could be closer to YOU than you might possibly believe?

1909 Bleriot XI (0 min 52 sec)

...check HERE to find out!

Best of luck with the Flivver...and someday, when you've got it flying on the Saito 90-size three-jug radial, bring it with you on the WEEKEND AFTER LABOR DAY to where this above full-scale aviation video star's "hopping" flights occur, on their RC Jamboree Weekend !

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Nov 08, 2013, 10:24 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

Thanks for the post and links..... PIPE

Yes, ever since I became interested in the Flivver. I've always favored the first "original" 2A prototypewith the Anzani 3-cylinder radial.

Love the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome and it continues to get better wih time...... Didn't do much flying thid year nor did I get a chance to attend or support the Aerodrome. Hope to next season as well as get this Flivver project further under way.

I do have another Flivver unbuilt kit and might consider doing a twin version.
Nov 10, 2013, 06:54 AM

I mentioned the WEEKEND AFTER LABOR DAY for a very SPECIAL reason..

Dear Simages:

The PIPE Here again - as I hinted at with my original reply, the WEEKEND AFTER LABOR DAY is when, once you've gotten your Saito-powered RC Ford Flivver going, that's THE weekend to actually BRING it to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome's RC Jamboree event that's held on the weekend after Labor Day, and actually FLY it there, along with dozens of other Golden Age aircraft, WW I warbirds, and even the occasional Pioneer Era aircraft like the Blériot XI, which HAS been done for RC at least once by the Québecois RCers from Canada before that usually visit ORA for the Jamboree weekend.

I've even flown there at ORA nearly three decades ago (in 1984, to be exact)...

...with the very same 1/6th scale sized Bücker Jungmeister "sporty scale" model you'll ALSO spot at the German Bücker Museum's website, too.

My 1/6th scale Old Rhinebeck Fleet Finch was there in that timeframe as well...

...and even though I never had a chance to fly the Fleet at any of the ORA RC events (I was still workin' out the "bugs" in its fully sprung, shock-absorbing main LG and tailgear units) you'll notice that the fellow in the lower Fleet model photo with the pastel yellow pilot's scarf, helmet and goggles is none other than COLE PALEN, the founder of Old Rhinebeck, when he was still with us.

These days, as I try to overcome my nearly 62 months of unemployment with continued resume-sending, and hoping for more interviews, I simply want to stay CONNECTED to the RC community, and help out my fellow aeromodelers through outlets like the Internet and RCGroups.

The 1980s-era Jungie got too oil-soaked to ever fly again, and I've been CAD-ding up a new version of it that uses a very scale structure, and will also be enlarged to quarter scale size for four-stroke power, perhaps for the smallest Evolution/Seidel 35 cm3 seven-jug radial...the CAD plans for a new small Jungie are nearly complete, for powering nowadays with a brand-new never-run Saito FA-40a four-stroke mill I've got here at home, as one of TEN four-stroke mills awaiting my return to the hobby someday.

Thankfully, my Fleet Finch is in much better shape — despite its needing a new set of elevator surfaces framed up and covered for it to fly again, and a re-powering with a well broken-in Saito 56 four-stroker that I've had since 2005 for much more useful power to suit its seven pound finished weight, not to mention similar plans to CAD IT up for quarter scale flying with a Saito FG-30 gasser four-stroker when it's built in the future.

I'm simply doing whatever it takes to GET BACK TO WORK again...then updating my RC support gear can commence, towards a return to RC enjoyment...but the job has to be acquired first!

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
Last edited by The PIPE; Nov 20, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Nov 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

Documentation.....

Too bad the construction instruction are limited to pretty much zip......
Nov 10, 2013, 07:07 PM
deanz406

Ford Flivver

Hi gentlemen-- I just wanted to chime in about ur post on building the Ford Flivver. A member of our club spent most of last winter, and early spring this year, scratch building a almost 1/2 scale Flivver. I think he had RCM plans, and had someone local blow up the plans for him. His has a 10 ft W/S, and is powered with a 55cc gas motor, which flies it quite well, and is just enough power to look scale in the air. Here are a few pics of his on the maiden flight this past July-- Dean
Nov 20, 2013, 08:38 PM
AMA# SIMAGES

A little progress

Things like work, weather and darkness keep getting in the way of too much progress. Besides I don't have a lot of glow and gas pieces and parts in the bin.....

Got the engine mounted, plumbed and pulling fuel
Secured Fuel tank, filler
Secured the glow driver unit, batteries and switches mid fuse location
Nov 21, 2013, 11:57 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Want to use OS "F" type plugs in the R3, but the Sonictronic / McDaniel standard MCD473 locking plug harness will not fit the plug. It won't fit the Hanger 9 plugs either.....

So, I ordered the R2473S Scale Glow Plug Harness kit besides; it will look much better.
Nov 26, 2013, 09:10 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Had to order a new 4000mAh NiMH for the glow driver because the one I had just wasn't up for the task. Besides; the replacement trimmed 3oz off the weak 4 cell pack.

I'm pleased with my first radial...... and the smell of glow fuel brings back many memories too!
Last edited by simages; Nov 27, 2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: anal retentive correction
Nov 29, 2013, 11:48 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Had to modify the aileron controls removed the bellcranks and installed the servos and moved the horns.

The new glow driver battery corrected the run issue old one lost charge too quickly losing the extra needed output.....
Nov 29, 2013, 10:23 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Time to cover and glue hinges.....
Nov 29, 2013, 10:26 PM
AMA# SIMAGES
Need to do some covering......
Dec 02, 2013, 07:36 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
A little progress......
Dec 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
Looking great! You got that covering on tight!