Nov 05, 2013, 01:54 PM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Discussion

Topmodel CZ Adriana - Firewall Angle?

Hi Everyone,

I've just started my Adriana build (I'm told it's the latest ver. with built up wings) and could really use some advice regarding firewall angles and fuselage sanding.

The instructions indicate a 1.5˚ slant to the right and -2˚ downward angle. However, it appears that the built-in angle is 5˚ to the right and 0˚ downward. Which do I follow?
If I need to sand down the fuselage to match the angles, what's the best way to do so?

Thanks in advance,
-8th
to remove ads between posts
Nov 07, 2013, 11:24 AM
Follow the instructions. 5˚right thrust is too much.

OTOH motor mounting angles are a hang over from free flight. Nowadays I usually install motors with no down or right thrust and use throttle mixes on the transmitter to make the model climb out without needing stick input.

Neil.
Nov 07, 2013, 05:17 PM
AMA 7224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton

OTOH motor mounting angles are a hang over from free flight. Nowadays I usually install motors with no down or right thrust .............
X2. 0 x 0 works well. You're only running the motor for a short time to climb out so it don't matter all that much. Side thrust for torque on a sailplane is negated quite a bit if not entirely by the long wing span. Need for a any down thrust is just as easily compensated for by pushing your thumb forward on the stick.
Nov 11, 2013, 03:53 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Thread OP
Thanks Neil and Leadchucker for the helpful replies :-)
Esprit Model's advice was to just use the 5˚ angle molded into the kit, and that the angles won't make much difference with my setup. Looked very odd to me since all my other motor gliders have 0˚ mounts, and the 5˚ would actually make my outrunner rub against the fuse!

The throttle mix sounds like the way to go. I've begun making a new carbon firewall too, since the included fg one doesn't even fit the mounting thread placement of the suggested MVVS motor.

I'll post my photos when the install occurs.

Happy Soaring,
-8th

Quick Reply