IOM Do It Yourself DESIGN - Page 238 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 05, 2017, 01:15 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
All these methods rely on accurate measuring, alignment & centering of frames with the possibility of human error. My method eliminates any need for measurement for frame spacing, squareness or centering as it is all part of the jig. All you need is a table saw to cut a slot down the build board and an MDF board for centering . Then cut up the MDF board (I used a piece of primed MDF baseboard) into 94mm lengths, assuming you are using 6mm frames, for 100mm spacing. Everything is press fit so no screws are even needed except for the end frames and spacers. See these posts for pics and descriptions.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...78&postcount=2
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...06&postcount=3

BTW, the 2x3 frame below the laminate covered Jig allows the tilting of the whole model at a 45 angle which assists with the building process.
Also I have covered the laminate with packing tape to make epoxy spills and drips easy once the model is finished and removed from the build jig.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2017, 03:04 PM
Agreed, and if I had woodworking tools that could handle that size stock I would probably try it.

Cheers,

Earl
Dec 18, 2017, 09:00 PM
Will fly for food

Just in time for the new year

Just got my ribs from National Balsa. Good cuts and at a very good price. I have my West Systems resin and hardeners and my glass cloth. I have my balsa wood and my building boards. I have 2 weeks to figure out what else I need to get started. The count down has begun.
Dec 18, 2017, 09:10 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
just got my ribs from national balsa. Good cuts and at a very good price. I have my west systems resin and hardeners and my glass cloth. I have my balsa wood and my building boards. I have 2 weeks to figure out what else i need to get started. The count down has begun.

beers!!
Dec 21, 2017, 10:34 PM

V8 kit build.

Well progress is still on schedule. Cockpit glued in and rear deck glued on also. Cheers Scott.
Dec 29, 2017, 01:47 PM
Will fly for food
I finally got to play around with creating surfaces in cad. This one has a distinct rear end which could help a lot in choppy conditions (or not)
Dec 29, 2017, 07:06 PM

3D Surfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen
I finally got to play around with creating surfaces in cad. This one has a distinct rear end which could help a lot in choppy conditions (or not)
Hi David,

Is this from AutoCad? Are they NURBS surfaces?
Dec 30, 2017, 03:16 PM
Will fly for food
Surfaces
Jan 05, 2018, 07:31 PM
hey guys, I'm finishing off my keel/bulb and it's coming in a bit light. I need to add about 40g which is a bit much for paint. I was thinking of painting the bulb with a thick mix of epoxy and lead powder. Or something like that. I already tried thickened epoxy with high density filler but that only added about 10g.

Any other proven solutions?
Jan 06, 2018, 12:33 PM
Any major sporting goods stores nearby? See if they cater to the shooting clubs nearby that shoot skeet as many load their own shells. Locally here we can purchase fine #9 lead shot in25 lb.bags. keep in mind weight for shipping costs. Maybe you can share costs h other builders.
Jan 10, 2018, 08:23 AM

Flyer proto born

Finally after months of work on the plug and female molds, proto Flyer #1 is born.
Jan 12, 2018, 08:41 PM
Hi Davidwood. Proto flyer looks great. Well done. Love the spirit of do it yourself builds. Just think what you have learnt in proto flyer build mold making. Keep the info and photos coming. Cheers Scott. Ps. Is that the Wedge in the background with the purple fin????
Jan 13, 2018, 10:06 AM

Flyer proto

Thank you, it certainly has been an adventure. The fins on the Wedge are actually pink haha.
Jan 15, 2018, 10:25 PM
"consumerwil"

360 Race Cam .. its alive

360 Race Cam from Race Mark / Buoy - Its Alive!! (2 min 40 sec)

Quick Reply