Thread Tools
May 23, 2015, 10:08 AM
Registered User
Dick L.'s Avatar
Well done, Ted - it's great when planning, building and execution all come together for satisfactory performance. Good luck now, with the final tuning efforts.

Dick
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2015, 10:09 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack
Raced my wood Alternative at our club race last week against nine boats and managed to win the day, my son Bobby was sailing his Britpop and we were really close. I won by one point after 10 races but he was fouled twice (once while leading) which ended up giving me the win, I'll take it though.

I'm still playing with mast rake and sail trim but it is clearly a competitive boat. It will only get faster as I get it tuned and I get used to it.
How do you think the Alternative would do in fiberglass ? I have only seen pics, hopefully I get down to Hansen Dam soon to see her on the water.
May 23, 2015, 06:13 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy
How do you think the Alternative would do in fiberglass ? I have only seen pics, hopefully I get down to Hansen Dam soon to see her on the water.
Whose boat is that?

As far as performance I would assume it will be the same. Keep in mind that it also depends on how close the plug (or boat in my case the hull) is to the plans. It is quite easy to change the shape slightly whilst sanding, I had a heck of a time keeping the chines exactly per the plans (one swipe with the sandpaper and a sharp chine becomes a soft chine. I ended up making a bunch of templates to make sure the shape was what it was supposed to be. A wood strip boat also tries to change it's shape when it comes off the shadows, I put mine back on the shadows and gave it a little extra time for the glue to dry and added a layer of glass/West System to the outside while it was on the shadows. Plus the amount of corrector weights has a small effect as well.

Dick L-Thanks Dick, it is another part of the hobby that I finally got to enjoy, building your own boat certainly adds to the pleasure.
May 23, 2015, 06:29 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Ted not sure if you know Tui from Handen Dam, I believe he is licensed from BG to produce the Alternative. Tui may have met up with BG up at Foster City to show him the boat. The pics above were shared on BGs Twitter feed.
May 23, 2015, 06:33 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy
Ted not sure if you know Tui from Handen Dam, I believe he is licensed from BG to produce the Alternative. Tui may have met up with BG up at Foster City to show him the boat. The pics above were shared on BGs Twitter feed.
Yep, I know Tui. I didn't know he was going to produce them though.
May 23, 2015, 06:37 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack
Yep, I know Tui. I didn't know he was going to produce them though.
I need to double check, but I think he may be producing this hill.
May 24, 2015, 06:14 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Waiting to hear from Tui. But he did send me a couple of pics from Foster City. This hull is now in Thailand.
May 24, 2015, 09:28 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
gpzy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFlack
Yep, I know Tui. I didn't know he was going to produce them though.
Tui will not have any for sale. His club bought the plans to build six of them. So Thailand has a fleet of Alternatives.
May 26, 2015, 06:14 PM
Registered User
For your interest, the Frigate. Turned out pretty weird. Question is: will it sail weird? At the moment it's away having the keel fitted then we shall see.
May 28, 2015, 08:47 AM
Registered User

ready to receive FG covering


hull planking finished today. All shadows remain tack glued in position and will be taken out after outer fiberglass covering get cured. This is to ultimately prevent hull from distortion. Will do inner covering when outside is done.
Last edited by triplane; May 28, 2015 at 10:57 AM.
May 28, 2015, 09:50 AM
David Cook Victoria, BC Canada
Thread OP
Very impressive Patrick!
May 28, 2015, 02:05 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplane
hull planking finished today. All shadows remain tack glued in position and will be taken out after outer fiberglass covering get cured. This is to ultimately prevent hull from distortion. Will do inner covering when outside is done.
On Facebook you say youve altered the bow.
As its had a nose job better call it Rhinoplasti. (spelt right???)
May 28, 2015, 08:47 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychosis
On Facebook you say youve altered the bow.
As its had a nose job better call it Rhinoplasti. (spelt right???)

It does bear a much finer entry plus a flared chine at station 2,3 and 4.
Now please, let me learn the Katha of "Rhinoplasti"...
May 28, 2015, 09:20 PM
Registered User

first fin and rudder out of mold


newly designed fin and rudder with laminar foil section test molded with pretty happy result.
Last edited by triplane; May 29, 2015 at 04:52 AM.
May 28, 2015, 10:06 PM
John - In my private capacity
hiljoball's Avatar
Very nice workmanship.
I think that the rudder shaft is too far aft in the blade - it looks close to 50%.
I think that will make the boat twitchy - like too much power steering.
I would suggest 20% aft.

JOhn


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools