This thread is privately moderated by Tom B 1956, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 05, 2013, 10:31 AM
Ahh another money pit. :)
Thread OP
Build Log

Twin Star Build

The parts
Motors NTM 2826/1200kv 17amp continuous B28-47-22S 1800kv In runner
Props: MAS 7x4x3
ESC : Castle Creations Talon 35 amp
Servos: HighTec 82mg
Receiver Futaba 7chn
Things in work
Motors mounting using provided motor mount but installed backwards. Going to use motor power wires with the little board but only to run power to ESC that are going to be mounted in the motor nacelles. Servos in normal mounting locations.

Sanding all bumps off the entire plane. Using Dap lightweight filler to fill any dents. Going to use enconokote to cover the the plane.

Wings have been sanded and filler applied. Giving a day to fully harden. Rudder and Elevator next. Will cover those four pieces before mounting hardware. Before installing in fuselage. Will keep wings a two piece easier to store And transport.

As for fuselage. Going to fill linkage runs with with the lightweight filler. And sand and cover after mounting that little board and servos. Covering it with econokote.
Lots of work to be done and can't go to fast have to be careful to not over heat the Elapor.

My Irons have been tested for temp settings and will verify temp using temp meter. Wings, tail, and elevator are going to be to hard. Mostly flat surfaces. The fuselage nose is very rounded so covering it may be the challenge for me on this project.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Nov 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2013, 02:19 PM
Thread OP
Sanding the wings completed. Happy enough with results. Dap lightweight spackle is some neat stuff. Filled the rings in where I guess manufacturing input ports for the elapor was injected quite nicely. Smooth out all the little circular bumps. So on to the rudder and elevator.
Nov 07, 2013, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
Finished sanding tail and elevator this morning. Also the canopy and wing inserts have been filled and sanded. Those pieces and the wings are ready to be covered.

Fuselage I needed to open the interior battery Bay Area up by 3mm. 1.5 mm on each side to accommodate the battery I planned on using. Ecalc using half the weight and half battery size in Mah. The 2628/1200kv motors calculated using 7x4x3 blade prop at about .75 to 1 thrust ratio on a 3s battery. The plane can fly with those number. But I may be upping the pay load with a GoPro and OSD in the future. So I changed the battery to a 4s and I like those numbers better. Better than 1 to 1 ratio now. So I started sanding the battery Bay Area and realized that is going to take while to sand. Then I had a thought. I didn't want cut the foam with an exacto knife wouldn't get a level cut all the way from the nose to under the wing. So I used a planner and set the blade to just come out of the bottom. That worked ok. All I had to is sand the roughness out and it looks like it was made that way. Well almost.

I purchase several rolls of econokote and have a pretty large selection of colors that I can use. Think the base color will be cream. But the cream looks more like a light brown. Orange wing tips dark and light blue for trim. For the windows I am planning the back decals but adding passengers. Probably Bugs and crew. So I guess I better get busy.
Nov 08, 2013, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Wiring for ESCs and Batteries done. Not much else accomplished today. Next step is to modify engine mount for motors. Wing servos will be installed and motor wiring then wing caps glue in. Then I think I can cover the wings.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Nov 08, 2013 at 06:36 PM.
Nov 11, 2013, 01:12 PM
Thread OP

Ready to Cover

Hi all
Little more progress. I Soldered all the wiring together for ESC's and Battery. Used the distribution board that came with the plane. I glued wing tube covers in. Hot Glued the Fuselage servos in and Glued the Fuselage together. All the control linkage tubes are installed. Filled in the Glue lines and the tube runs with Spackle.
Sanding the wing and fuselage not as good as would have liked then again it's good enough for the purpose. last fill applied to wings little dents from handling. As soon as that dries. I will start to cover the foam with Econokote today. I'll do the best I can with it I am nowhere good enough to avoid some creasing but i'll still try and start the bottom and see how it goes. Engine Nacelles black with orange trim. black on the top of nose with orange trim. Dark Blue bottom and Light blue trim I I thinking of trying. So with that It's time to get to it.
Nov 13, 2013, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
Started covering the wing and elevator. first few attemps to cover the nacelles failed. I finally pieced the nacelle covering into place. Not the best. But better than I expected. Color choices are questionable. I like them. I ordered more covvering for the Rudder and Fuselage. Are next in line. Start work tomorow so progress will slow way down. Darn Job is getting in the way again.
Nov 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
Swiwin Turbine Dealer
looks good. how much extra weight do you expect??
Latest blog entry: Ryan S-T
Nov 13, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thread OP
Hardly any. The covering is .02 per square foot. The light Spackle is very light stuff. and most of it is sanded off any way. So at most maybe a couple Ozs I'll weight it when done.
Nov 14, 2013, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Well I was going to install the motors today. Well I liked the Flight for Cancer planes motors and I thought that an in-runner motor made more sense anyway. So I ordered 2 In-runners brushless B28-47-22S In-runners from HK international. So there will be a up to two week delay in finishing the TS. But I have enough to do and it can wait till the end.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24948.

The Econokote will be delivered today. should have bought more Cream Color when I first ordered. So back to covering tomorrow.
Nov 15, 2013, 03:02 PM
Thread OP
Covered the Tail today. Picked up Prop adapters and #in extensions for ESC's. Also the receiver finally came in Futaba R617FS. So everything except the motors is here. Picked up some yellow Econokote. My thinking is to use it as trim around the Orange and Cream and motor nacelles. Not sure if it will work out but I'll try it and see how it looks. Well that's all for today.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Nov 15, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
Nov 20, 2013, 10:03 PM
Thread OP
Got Back to the covering project. I am going to use three colors on the Fuselage Light blue that you see in the Picture. The cream color on the top and part way down the sides. Yellow on the side following the ridge line on the side to the edge of the light blue. Dark Blue on the top of the nose wraping around the canopy the Dark blue on top of the canopy that's it . I go back to the wing and elevator and add some more yellow and light blue trim to fit it all in.

Also received the Motors today That was pretty fast Shipping. 5 days from China.
Nov 21, 2013, 08:17 PM
Thread OP
A little more done today. Fuselage is half covered. ignore the base color it will have trim applied after I get the base all on. So it does look a bit Creamy!. Now to the rest of fuselage maybe tomorrow. Since it has been raining here the field I fly at the dirt road up the hill will have to dry out first. Maybe Monday I can fly again. gives me time to work on the project.

Note on Motor Mounts. My friend he broke both his and I am going to repair his. I have the CNC mounts ordered. And I was able to get a hold of two mounts that are for the FunCub expect those in a few days.. I am told they are made out of metal now and i'll be putting those in.
Nov 23, 2013, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
A little more done. Each day I try and get a little done. The TS is fully covered now and I am going to put some trim to it now. Dark Blue on top of Fuselage Rounding off at the nose going all the way back to the leading edge of the tail. Dark Blue on the leading edge of the wing and elevator. Dark blue strip next to the orange on top and Light Blue on the bottom of the wing and elevator. Side of fuselage some how I am going to work some orange in maybe triangle shape at the nose moving all the way under the elevator. And last thing is to pin strip wing, elevator and fuselage.

Pictures of the Plane just put together not glued. I wanted to get a look at it so I cold decide on trim color. Decided to stay with what I have. I have used Cream as a base and light blue, orange and Dark blue as accent colors. So I was worried that This will not come out very good looking. But I try it. Once it is on it doesn't come off easy so I am stuck with the results.
Nov 26, 2013, 04:53 PM
Thread OP
Well I have no excuses the Covering came out ok. Just ok. But I am now to the point that I have to start putting the motors in. ESC's in position and glued. Pull the ailerons servos up and re- install the horns. Run the linkage for rudder and Elevator. And then add what decals I want on this.

Motor is very strong and quite. surprising how quite they are. The master screw 7x4x3 props seems to be well suited.
Last edited by Tom B 1956; Nov 26, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Nov 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
Your INVERTED!
Dang man! Lookin Good!! I'm about to cover a Sensei I converted to taildragger, and kinda thinking about one of these in the future. I've never flown a twin, so this seems perfect. I like the looks of it, and seems to fly real nice from the videos I've seen. I would add landing gear. Are you planning on any gear?

Have you ever used Towerkote? Same as Econokote, but cheaper! I use it 100% of the time now if they have the colors I need.

Quick Reply