$26 Turnigy Accucel 6 charger review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 02, 2013, 08:04 PM
Registered User
Discussion

$26 Turnigy Accucel 6 charger review


So I just got this the other day and I have to say I'm impressed. especially for the price. One thing that is a bummer is that you will need an adapter for a wall plug. It has clips that can clip on a battery. I usually just bring along my extra car battery or I can simply just hook it up to the charging quarters at the local club. It has a nice bright screen that makes reading easier. There are quite a few options to choose from. I only charge my lipos on this ad it's great. Small, easy, and dummy proof. For the price it is definitely worth it.


Here is the link:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...66&aff=1195875
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2013, 08:13 PM
Registered User
stamp80's Avatar
I have had one for several months now. Love it works great. I bought a a/c power supply off amazon that works great! Was only like $12 shipped

Power supply link.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gotta use the 15v on the power supply. Hope this helps you.
Nov 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
Registered User
I'll definitely check that power option. I was looking around and I think you might have caught my eye on that one from amazon. Thanks!!!
Nov 02, 2013, 09:19 PM
AMA 537620
ChillPhatCat's Avatar
I have a clone of that charger and power supply to charge at home... it's been running strong for about 4 years, great simple, cheap charger to start.
Nov 02, 2013, 09:39 PM
Registered User
scirocco's Avatar
Good charger, I still have mine, but unless you want to stick with about 3S 2200, IMO 50W is a little limiting. I think better value overall is the Eco6-10 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_w_acc_.html

I run multiple 500W chargers at home, but the 6-10 is my faithful field charger
Nov 05, 2013, 09:09 PM
Registered User
Does anyone have a scanned manual for this guy? I would like to look it over as I can't find mine.
Thanks!
Happy flying
Nov 06, 2013, 03:46 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
I have a clone of that charger and power supply to charge at home... it's been running strong for about 4 years, great simple, cheap charger to start.


The Accucel is a clone itself !!

Nigel
Nov 06, 2013, 03:54 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmx2996
I'll definitely check that power option. I was looking around and I think you might have caught my eye on that one from amazon. Thanks!!!
The power supply must be capable of delivering more than 60W ...

Most people buy a 12V x 5A mains adaptor .... this is fine but will be working at or near it's limit most time - making adaptor run warm / hot and shortening it's life ... so I advise go higher ... I use a 12V x 10A mains adaptor on my B6 - which is basically same charger ...

I know you can get a higher rated charger for larger packs ... but I do 5S 3000 packs with mine and OK - I accept that it takes a while - but I know I am not pushing limits when charging ...

Many LiPo online sites recc'd 1C rate anyway ... despite people saying go for 2C .. 3C etc.

Here's 4max Uk for example with their high power high C rated packs capable of 5C charge :

http://www.4-max.co.uk/lipos.htm

Nigel
Nov 06, 2013, 04:46 AM
Registered User
scirocco's Avatar
a decent power supply was probably my biggest and best investment. 30A @ 28V lets me charge 3 6S 5000 at 2C. if you're going to use 5 or 6s packs, a higher voltage charger and power supply is a good move
Nov 06, 2013, 05:26 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
a decent power supply was probably my biggest and best investment. 30A @ 28V lets me charge 3 6S 5000 at 2C. if you're going to use 5 or 6s packs, a higher voltage charger and power supply is a good move
Agreed ... but a 30A @ 28v adaptor is no use to a person with a '6 charger ... a) its only rated to 18V and only requires 50W for a B6 or 60W for an Accucel 6 at 5A / 6A respectively.

Now a 30A @ 12V ... to max 18V makes sense ...

Nigel
Nov 06, 2013, 06:41 AM
Registered User
scirocco's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Agreed ... but a 30A @ 28v adaptor is no use to a person with a '6 charger ... a) its only rated to 18V and only requires 50W for a B6 or 60W for an Accucel 6 at 5A / 6A respectively.

Now a 30A @ 12V ... to max 18V makes sense ...

Nigel
Quite true Nigel I drifted off topic there with the charging larger packs bit, but definitely worth considering a power supply capable of the max input voltage of whatever charger you have if you plan to charge 4S or higher.
Nov 06, 2013, 07:23 AM
Registered User
flypaper 2's Avatar
I used the Acc 6 for many yrs but when I went to the bigger batts I went to the Eco 6-10 as mentioned in post 6. It's pretty much the same charger with the same charging format, just higher amp/batt capability. Both great economical chargers.

Gord
Nov 06, 2013, 08:39 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Never had a problem with mine but have only charged up to 4S 4000. I like it.
Nov 07, 2013, 01:03 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
JetPlaneFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid
Never had a problem with mine but have only charged up to 4S 4000. I like it.
I envy your patience. With batteries of that size you could save a lot of time with a faster charger. The 50W limit means you will be charging at about 3 Amps, so you would take 80 minutes to fully charge that battery. If the battery will do 3c charging (many do these days) then a more powerful charger would fully charge it in 20 minutes.

More to the point if you have a few batteries a powerful charger can parallel charge them all in 20 minutes, whereas the 50W charger could quite literally take all day.

Unless you only fly small models IMHO life's too short to use a 50W charger.
Nov 07, 2013, 01:55 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer
I envy your patience. With batteries of that size you could save a lot of time with a faster charger. The 50W limit means you will be charging at about 3 Amps, so you would take 80 minutes to fully charge that battery. If the battery will do 3c charging (many do these days) then a more powerful charger would fully charge it in 20 minutes.

More to the point if you have a few batteries a powerful charger can parallel charge them all in 20 minutes, whereas the 50W charger could quite literally take all day.

Unless you only fly small models IMHO life's too short to use a 50W charger.
I suppose because of the work I do and have done - I hate putting all eggs I one basket ... so I have 2 B6's ... yes two 50W chargers .... At less than $30 a pop - I'm happy to have redundancy and also having the two means I am not hanging around so much for batterys. I run from 3S 800 up to 5S 3000 .... and so far not been put out by lack of high rate charging.
If I do need more packs when flying ... I can charge up another of usual packs in the time I have 2 flights and a chat with the guys ... but seldom needed as I have plenty of packs in sizes I use.
The biggest hurdle I had was not charging ... but discharging after session if I didn't use packs.
That's solved as you know.
Nigel