Nov 02, 2013, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Balsa USA Sopwith Pup

Well, I did glue a few laminated and spliced pieces together earlier, but I'm officially starting the build as of Halloween night.

Got a few mods in mind, but I'll talk about them later.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2013, 10:51 AM
T-Squared
Excellent!
Nov 02, 2013, 12:25 PM
Is there a 4-star 60 in the box?
Nov 02, 2013, 02:37 PM
Lookin' up at the centerline
Is that the 1/3 scale?

Nick
Nov 02, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggroyal1117
Is there a 4-star 60 in the box?
No, but you can have what's left of the smashed up wings?
Nov 02, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
Is that the 1/3 scale?

Nick
Yes
Nov 02, 2013, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nergall
Well, I did glue a few laminated and spliced pieces together earlier, but I'm officially starting the build as of Halloween night.

Got a few mods in mind, but I'll talk about them later.
Wooo whoo let the fun begin!!
Nov 02, 2013, 08:16 PM
Thread OP
OK, the mods:

1. Firewall might need to move back for the engine I have. (It's a little big, but I'd rather a big engine over a bunch of lead weight.) However, I don't want to move it back too far, or I might lose the balancing advantage of the heavier motor. Thinking of a bit of a compromise where the propeller sticks out a bit more than usual. With that big round cowl, I don't think it will be too noticeable??

2. Landing gear:
a. First, a nice scale bungie system
b. Second, I've heard moving the wheels forward an inch helps with stability and nose overs.
c. Third, since we have a paved runway, I probably need a steerable wheel on the tail.

3. Two aileron servos in the wings near the ailerons - more of an option than a mod here.

4. Vertical stab on the real one is on two posts. There is a visible gap between the horizontal stab and the vertical.

5. The kit shows a couple dowels supporting the tail group where the real aircraft uses wire. I plan to use wire here as well.

Things I plan to skip:

1. Visible pulley system or fake pulley system for the pull - pull aileron setup on the real one.

2. Flying wires on the real one pass through the lower wing to attach to the landing gear. On the kit, they attach to the fuselage above the lower wing. This seems far simpler, not that noticeable, and should make a longer lasting model.

Things I haven't decided on:

1. The real one has a sort of sew up panel on the right side. This looks fairly cool and is fairly distinctive, so leaning toward including it.

2. The rear most panel on the fuselage is uncovered on the real aircraft - exposing the rudder hinge. Again, this looks fairly cool and distinctive, but this might make the rudder hinge need to be a little too realistic for my tastes. Still thinking on whether this is possible using RC style hinges.
Nov 02, 2013, 09:08 PM
Quote:
OK, the mods:

1. Firewall might need to move back for the engine I have. (It's a little big, but I'd rather a big engine over a bunch of lead weight.) However, I don't want to move it back too far, or I might lose the balancing advantage of the heavier motor. Thinking of a bit of a compromise where the propeller sticks out a bit more than usual. With that big round cowl, I don't think it will be too noticeable??
agreed on this, however that far in front of the GC point probably wont matter too much on movement of the motor mount. I plan on moving mine back 1/2" on the Bearcat.

2. Landing gear:
a. First, a nice scale bungie system
b. Second, I've heard moving the wheels forward an inch helps with stability and nose overs.
This might be a good idea. I slanted the gear forward on the Yak about 1/4" or so and really made a BIG difference.
c. Third, since we have a paved runway, I probably need a steerable wheel on the tail.
Yes

3. Two aileron servos in the wings near the ailerons - more of an option than a mod here.
Depending on the length, could never hurt, and means you could use lower torque servos if you use two of them.
4. Vertical stab on the real one is on two posts. There is a visible gap between the horizontal stab and the vertical.

5. The kit shows a couple dowels supporting the tail group where the real aircraft uses wire. I plan to use wire here as well.
Nice to go with scale actuals

Things I plan to skip:

1. Visible pulley system or fake pulley system for the pull - pull aileron setup on the real one.
Depending on your plan to stick with scale authenticity here
2. Flying wires on the real one pass through the lower wing to attach to the landing gear. On the kit, they attach to the fuselage above the lower wing. This seems far simpler, not that noticeable, and should make a longer lasting model.
On this you got to think about time to assemble each flight. On my beast its pretty simple and take about 30 mins to assemble. Its a trade off, authenticity vers ease of assemble trade off.
Things I haven't decided on:

1. The real one has a sort of sew up panel on the right side. This looks fairly cool and is fairly distinctive, so leaning toward including it.
I'd say include it.

2. The rear most panel on the fuselage is uncovered on the real aircraft - exposing the rudder hinge. Again, this looks fairly cool and distinctive, but this might make the rudder hinge need to be a little too realistic for my tastes. Still thinking on whether this is possible using RC style hinges.
Authenticity is always nice on this type of plane. I'd say go for it.
responses above....
Nov 02, 2013, 09:26 PM
A bungee system is a real plus.
I went through 4 or 5 pairs of tricycle wheels (bent rims)
Had a Quadra 50 and it wasn't quite enough engine for the job.

Nick
Nov 02, 2013, 10:11 PM
T-Squared
Deciding how scale authentic you want to be is always a very tough process. There are no right or wrong answers. That is what is so cool about scale - every one is a little different, and they are all awesome.
Nov 02, 2013, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-squared
deciding how scale authentic you want to be is always a very tough process. There are no right or wrong answers. That is what is so cool about scale - every one is a little different, and they are all awesome.
. +1
Nov 04, 2013, 12:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger1589
A bungee system is a real plus.
I went through 4 or 5 pairs of tricycle wheels (bent rims)
Had a Quadra 50 and it wasn't quite enough engine for the job.

Nick
Yeah, this was the impression I had just from reviewing the plans. Without the bungie system, there is nothing to absorb the shock of a hard landing. And, since we're talking 30+ lb airplane, it probably doesn't have to be very hard.

I need to post in the Giant Scale forum and get some more details on this, but it's definitely happening.

Where did you obtain the tricycle wheels? I have a set of Dubro 9" scale wheels now, but I am still curious. The real one I saw had covers over the spokes anyway, so after I saw that, actual spoke wheels seemed like too much effort for too little gain.
Nov 04, 2013, 05:50 AM
Bellanca Kruesair
I'm on board....
I don't have the plans any longer, but I modified the scale tail skid with a 3/4 " tail wheel mounted in it,where it could barely be seen...A loooonnnnng wire from the rudder down to the skid operated it..
If I did it again, I'd install a separate servo in the aft fuselage with a pushrod to the wheel.
I made my firewalls of 3/4" plywood, and still added some weight...Trust me,this airplane is lightly loaded, much like a rubber powered small model......a couple of pounds will actually help the flying characteristics.

Earl.
Last edited by epoxyearl; Nov 04, 2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: add pic.
Nov 04, 2013, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Where did you obtain the tricycle wheels? I have a set of Dubro 9" scale wheels now, but I am still curious. The real one I saw had covers over the spokes anyway, so after I saw that, actual spoke wheels seemed like too much effort for too little gain.
#1 son gave the first pair, they had twice as many wires as the ones in the photo and looked *very* sturdy... But like you said....

After that we stopped at any garage sale where we saw tricycles, strollers etc.

Finally got rid of the beast a year later because we got sick of the 1/2 to 3/4 hour assembly time and got the Precedent 1/4 scale Stampe. (The fact that the owner of the Quadra 50 wanted his engine back helped the decision)

Nick

Quick Reply