New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2001, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by knut
Halloechen aus Texas !

Can a Monarch HLG be discus-launched ?

The DJ Aerotech Monarch is a Hand Launch Glider - meant to be "thrown" straight.

I understand that discus lauching, which brings better heights, puts more stress on an airframe then simple hand launching.

Would a Monarch tolerate a discus launch, though ?

Thanks,
Knut
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2001, 07:44 PM
Find More Posts by TThroop
I don't think that the fuselage would last. As I remember the fuse of a Monarch is fairly light weight. There is alot of flex placed on both the boom and nose during a discus launch. In fact Brian Buass' Raptor has extra strengthing in the nose because of the stresses.

Terry Throop
Old Dec 11, 2001, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Faded away
At least once!

Dave
Old Dec 11, 2001, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by knut
Halloechen aus Texas !
Quote:
Originally posted by DocData757
At least once!

Dave
Heh. Flying rc planes has taught me the gravity of the meaning of "once"

Thanks for the information, gentlemen ! I will handle the throwing conservatively...
Knut
Old Dec 11, 2001, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Watson
Discus launching also puts huge side loading on the tail. If I remember right, just an overhand throw used to cause the v-tail to wobble on the Monarch I used to have.

Keith
Old Dec 11, 2001, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by Far4nugn

Discus Launching

I finished my Art Hobby Elster 1.5M HLG Saturday and flew it Sunday. I started with javelin launches and then tried an easy discus launch- no problem. I kept increasing the force behind the launches until finally, the left V-tail folded at the joint (I'm left-handed). Luckily I had covered the tail and it didnt seperate. I just dumped full spoileron and got her down ok.

I rebuilt the tail out of thicker (1/8" vs. 3/32") medium balsa and reinforced it with a strip of .007 X 3/8" CF the full length on the underside and on top at the TE of the 'stabilizers'. Took her out today and gave her at least a dozen hard launches with no problem.

What a sweet glider!