This thread is privately moderated by GallopingGhostlr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 01, 2013, 12:06 AM
Rudder Only Lover
Thread OP
Discussion

Resurrected Airtronics Q-Tee

15 years later, Q-Tee will fly again after resurrecting through repairs. To make a long story short, I have collated photos from January 2013 to now. Some consider this a beginner's model. With the Norvel .061 Big Mig and 1/2 oz. (15 cc) tank, should provide for decent flight and better speed for sport stunting. It is an ultimate fun flier, IMO.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 06, 2013, 09:40 PM
Nice!!!
Nov 07, 2013, 10:36 AM
Rudder Only Lover
Thread OP
Thanks!!! Hopefully before the week is out, if the winds are favorable (15 mph or less), I'll flight test it.
Nov 08, 2013, 04:09 AM
You laugh... But it flies!!!
I used to fly one of these about 25 years ago. That thing looks wonderful. I am sure it will fly nicely. Great job on the resurrection.

My wife's family is in Alamaogordo, where do you guys fly out there?

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
Nov 08, 2013, 02:20 PM

Memories...

Poor scanned image but I remember these well. On the second build I added one extra bay to each wing side...really fun.

Another 'go to' 1/2A was the 'Honker'.

Would love to watch it fly, good luck.

Wayne
Nov 08, 2013, 07:30 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAJR66
I used to fly one of these about 25 years ago. That thing looks wonderful. I am sure it will fly nicely. Great job on the resurrection. My wife's family is in Alamaogordo, where do you guys fly out there? Be safe and have fun, Tommy
Tommy, there is an AMA club in Alamogordo and a hobby shop, too. It is located on 9th Ave. While there I didn't fly. I now live in Clovis, NM and fly here. While in Alamogordo you can stop by the hobby shop and inquire there. AMA website might have club info, too.
Nov 08, 2013, 08:49 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon-Run
Poor scanned image but I remember these well. On the second build I added one extra bay to each wing side...really fun. Another 'go to' 1/2A was the 'Honker'. Would love to watch it fly, good luck. Wayne
That's a sharp looking Q-Tee, really like the toothy shark grin.

I've got its cousin, the Honker Rocket pylon racer plans.
Nov 16, 2013, 09:17 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Thread OP
I flew the Q-Tee with Norvel .061 Big Mig CL engine and MECOA Texaco red long plug head adapter. It flew it with authority, no shyness there with a 6x4 prop, good wind penetration, definitely faster than with a Cox .049 Black Widow. It has a nice floating glide, this combination is a winner. However, it does struggle with the larger planes in windy conditions. It is a good lazy summer day flier though.
Oct 08, 2014, 09:26 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Thread OP
Q-Tee had a fuel feed problem with the earlier Norvel CL tank mount. I don't know if the current one is the same. This is an odd one in that the fuel pickup was not to the bottom (for RC or FF) or side (for CL), but about 1/4 inch off from the side diagonal. This meant that not all the fuel would be picked up by the engine, leaving about 1/4 tank of fuel left. I removed the fuel tubing and bent a new one out of copper (yes, it was the only one I had at the time) bent to reach the center back bottom. Also, the only vent was from front bottom through the top, with a slight crook forward to hopefully obtain positive fuel pressure. As long as I was flying level, the airplane performed, but as soon as I tried to loop it or barrel roll it, the engine would die.

Tonight I drilled a hole in the front bottom of the tank and inserted a nylon tube extending into the top front of the tank in order to vent the tank at the top, to make suction more consistent by keeping tank at ambient. We'll see how Q-Tee performs next time I fly.

Quick Reply