Thread Tools
Aug 17, 2019, 02:06 PM
Registered Abuser
Can anybody who bought a Giles G-202 recently tell me if it's a decent kit? Date on the box? Are they some old kits they found buried in the corner?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 03:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotasol
Nice.
What digital servos did you use?
I should try some on my unbuilt Yak.
I used the slightly heavier (IIRC 13g?) digitals from value hobby. They are my new GO-TO servo for everything. For $6 can't go wrong.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:28 PM
Registered User
And FWIW...

at the field today I handed my all digital bird to an 11 year old that flies the living snot out of an E-Flite Valiant. Now, this is someone who's NEVER touched a 3D anything. Aside from the beaming smile ear-to-ear, he had that thing hovering in all of about 15 seconds and was absolutely ripping across the sky. tumbles, hovers, knife edges, you name it. Absolutely fun to see and that's what this hobby is all about (we won't talk about my "acting like a 10 year old outburst from yesterday after losing another plane from radio issues, but....)

I know we can spend hundreds of dollars on flat-foam, but for the money? I think EVERYONE should have a $60 all-in toss around in their quiver. I think these planes make us all better pilots. Especially since you loose the fear factor in banging into a tree, the hill, the grass, the dog, the cat, or the pool.
Aug 17, 2019, 03:28 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
Can anybody who bought a Giles G-202 recently tell me if it's a decent kit? Date on the box? Are they some old kits they found buried in the corner?
My understanding is it's an all new order - they were waiting for the shipping container to get filled up coming from China.
Aug 17, 2019, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
Especially since you loose the fear factor in banging into a tree, the hill, the grass, the dog, the cat, or the pool.
Don`t forget yourself......DUCK.
Aug 17, 2019, 04:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondranch
Don`t forget yourself......DUCK.
I've only hit myself....twice LOL
Aug 17, 2019, 08:49 PM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
And FWIW...

at the field today I handed my all digital bird to an 11 year old that flies the living snot out of an E-Flite Valiant. Now, this is someone who's NEVER touched a 3D anything. Aside from the beaming smile ear-to-ear, he had that thing hovering in all of about 15 seconds and was absolutely ripping across the sky. tumbles, hovers, knife edges, you name it. Absolutely fun to see and that's what this hobby is all about (we won't talk about my "acting like a 10 year old outburst from yesterday after losing another plane from radio issues, but....)

I know we can spend hundreds of dollars on flat-foam, but for the money? I think EVERYONE should have a $60 all-in toss around in their quiver. I think these planes make us all better pilots. Especially since you loose the fear factor in banging into a tree, the hill, the grass, the dog, the cat, or the pool.
What kind of radio issues were you having?
Aug 17, 2019, 08:50 PM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondranch
Don`t forget yourself......DUCK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
I've only hit myself....twice LOL
I almost did this yesterday lol
Aug 17, 2019, 10:17 PM
Registered User
Goinstraightup's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
My understanding is it's an all new order - they were waiting for the shipping container to get filled up coming from China.
I was under the same understanding, but when I got my G202 that I just purchased, I was surprised to see a 2017 date on it! Maybe they are an old stock, but I thoroughly went over the contents and they are great. The printing is dark like the recent offerings and not light printing like when the G202 first came out.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:40 AM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinstraightup
I was under the same understanding, but when I got my G202 that I just purchased, I was surprised to see a 2017 date on it! Maybe they are an old stock, but I thoroughly went over the contents and they are great. The printing is dark like the recent offerings and not light printing like when the G202 first came out.
Thanks for the pics and info
Aug 19, 2019, 10:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooOoo
What kind of radio issues were you having?
complete loss of signal on multiple occasions at various distances but nothing more than about 150 feet away. It was an inexpensive RX so it's now landfill bound. Think there was a cracked solder joint somewhere, or the board may have been cracked since it was completely random
Aug 19, 2019, 10:55 AM
Registered Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
complete loss of signal on multiple occasions at various distances but nothing more than about 150 feet away. It was an inexpensive RX so it's now landfill bound. Think there was a cracked solder joint somewhere, or the board may have been cracked since it was completely random
Ah, I see. I made the mistake once of using a clone knockoff Chinese receiver with my Taranis once. And like the idiot I am I tested it in one of my favorite planes which was a total loss. Never again! I'll only use legit receivers from now on.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:53 AM
Registered User
Not for nothing - the knock off's are all the same as the "real ones". Same components, same antenna front-end.

Now, this one RX in particular was an old DSM2...who knows, maybe that's the issue. But I have a dozen other ones on various foamy's and they're all fine.

I have learned the hard way that DSMX only on stuff worth anything.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:58 PM
Registered User
speedy01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_N
... the knock off's are all the same as the "real ones".
Same as my experience, performance wise ... in particular with Lemon components.

Gene K
Aug 20, 2019, 11:26 AM
Registered User

Same here only mine are VERY low quality


Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinstraightup
I was under the same understanding, but when I got my G202 that I just purchased, I was surprised to see a 2017 date on it! Maybe they are an old stock, but I thoroughly went over the contents and they are great. The printing is dark like the recent offerings and not light printing like when the G202 first came out.
I just received 3 Giles kit and an Edge 540 and they're all dated 05/09/2017 and they're all crap quality. The Giles kits all have three different shades of green and the horizontal stabilizer is print reversed of what it should be top is printed on the bottom where the slot for the carbon fiber rod is. Cutting on parts is a mess also. Both the Giles and the Edge have tons of over spray or bleed on them. the Edge has the top design printed on both sides of the horizon stabilizer.

I have an older Giles kit that's perfect, don't remember what the date stamp on the box was however.

I called Value Hobby to inform them they want to open a box or two and check the contents that their vendor sent them and all I got was attitude from what appeared to be a smart a** kid in what I guess was customer service. Asked to speak to the owner, good luck with that. The guy/kid assured my that it was a total fluke that I just "happened" to get four defective low quality kits and assured me I was the only one this has happened to, apparently not!

Granted these are only $29 dollar kits but one should at least get what they paid for, these all appear to be rejects/seconds the vendor pawned off on Value Hobby and they don't seem to care.

These pictures are from one Giles kit, all three were the same. Notes the multiple shades of green and the leading edge of the one wing. Granted this won't affect their flying ability but come on, some QC would be nice. I guess quality control and Chinese should never appear in the same sentence.
Last edited by gbancrof; Aug 20, 2019 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Add pictures


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools