HobbyKing Pulse Jet

Feel and Hear the Nostalgia

Splash

You Know You Want One

HobbyKing has recently announced the availability of a Red Head Pulse Jet Engine.We had to do a double take on that one. We haven't seen or heard about pulse jet engines in quite some time. These engines are pretty simple, very cool, and very loud. They were the jet engine of choice before modern turbines came onto the scene.

HobbyKing has modernized this engine which starts with only a bicycle pump and includes mounting hardware, spare parts, and the ignition system. It puts out 3.5 lbs of thrust and runs on straight gasoline. If you've always wanted to try one out, now is a great time. The Hobby King Red Head Pulse Jet is only $99.99. Even if all you do is put it on display it's worth it. They even made the box retro, so check it out at HobbyKing.

Oct 30, 2013, 10:07 AM
DFS#000178
That's awesome. I remember these in old Model Airplane News magazines. Now all we need is a V1 kit to go around it.
Oct 30, 2013, 10:11 AM
The safety arguments are already going strong on the HobbyKing page. Note the AMA has separate safety regulations for pulse jets. One of those is that TWO fire extinguishers be maned and ready:
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/510-q.pdf
Oct 30, 2013, 11:20 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Was checking this out this morning, and dang it is tempting...
Oct 30, 2013, 11:52 AM
I remember the first time I saw an original Dyna-Jet Red Head run a long time ago when I was a kid and just beginning in aero modeling.

The originals on Flea Bay are just too pricey, so I am definitely picking one up so I've got one to play with and terrorize my neighbors with the sound..

I've always wanted to model the original Craig Breedlove Spirit of America jet car using a Dyna-Jet type pulse jet.

:harry
Oct 30, 2013, 11:54 AM
Nick
These run on straight gasoline?
Oct 30, 2013, 11:57 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
But the big question. What happens after a couple of hours when the reed valve breaks. This is a FREQUENT replacement item with a pulse jet. Are there any replacements available, or are you actually getting a disposable, very short term product here?
Oct 30, 2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksbbq
These run on straight gasoline?
They say you can run regular high octane gas, but the guys who still run these in control line speed events use very high octane brews that they mix themselves.

Oct 30, 2013, 12:01 PM
I need to find out if HK will be carrying replacement reeds.

Reeds have a life span measured in minutes so you need a supply.

Of course, a regular pulse jet run isn't very long to begin with.

Oct 30, 2013, 12:02 PM
Nick
Would you be able to say just run on a test stand? It seems like it might get to hot if you didn't have a lot of air moving across it.
Oct 30, 2013, 01:07 PM
Even in a short run, the rear 65% of the pipe will get so hot it will glow red! You don't want anything touching that unless you want it branded!
Oct 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
Got glue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaAKM
Even in a short run, the rear 65% of the pipe will get so hot it will glow red! You don't want anything touching that unless you want it branded!
Damn...I guess that prohibits mounting this to a foam Chuck glider and doing a drop from my Bixler.
Oct 30, 2013, 01:56 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
just watched some pulse jet videos and dang they have some pucker factor!
Oct 30, 2013, 01:56 PM
Frank
Just build your own Pulse Jet engine, without the reed valves, it would last longer.
Ive got some old plans laying around here somewhere.
Oct 30, 2013, 01:59 PM
"Have that removed!"
I want that

Napoleon Dynamite I want that (0 min 11 sec)

Tim
Last edited by KRProton; Oct 30, 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Quick Reply