Thread Tools
Oct 30, 2013, 04:19 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

MinimOSD Failed to talk to bootloader


I was getting an error whilst trying to read from the MinimOSD.
Everytime I hit the button, I got “Failed to talk to bootloader” and then “EEPROM out of date” (or something like that).
After spending hours and hours, reading and learning, I finally found the answer and decided to share it with anyone else in the same situation......

Buy a usbasp programmer (around £5 from eBay). The drivers are available at:

http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

Connect it up as per the attached images.

Run Arduino.

Select Tools > Board and select your board (mine is the Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (5v, 16MHz) w/ATmega128)

Select Tools > Programmer > USBasp

Select Tools > Burn Bootloader

Wait 2-3 mins and you’ll probably get an error of “warning: cannot set sck period. Please check for usbasp firmware update”. Just ignore it.

Unplug the USBasp board and plug in your FTDI (with MinimOSD)

Open the MinimOSD configuration software, select the COM port and click ‘Read from OSD’

It worked for me and I hope I've helped at least one person :-)

UPDATE 1
Before you spend loads of hours and spend unnecessary cash, please follow this video - it may solve the problem (video found by goshakv)

MinimOSD & FT232RL setup (3 min 1 sec)


UPDATE 2
Silicon Labs introduced driver 2.12.0.0 back in October 2015 which (unless you have a genuine Silicon Labs chip on your FTDI) will do a soft 'brick' on your device. For none genuine SiLabs FTDI device (90% of things with a Silicon Labs chip from China), you need to download an older driver.
If you've already installed the new driver and installing an older driver then doesn't work, follow these instructions:

Un-brick the FT232RL FTDI USB Serial Adapter (1 min 49 sec)
Last edited by Vortecks; May 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2013, 08:37 AM
Registered User
Thank you! It has worked for me!
Dec 05, 2013, 11:57 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirglider
Thank you! It has worked for me!
My job is done, I've helped someone
Dec 05, 2013, 12:26 PM
Registered User
I've had that error before, but it took a careful bit of timing. I hit the reset button on the MinimOSD then on the computer, hit "read OSD". this was through an FTDI cable to the 6-pin header on the Minimosd.
thank you tho, for your findings.
Dec 27, 2013, 02:41 AM
Registered User
koolkiwikat's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoy1973
I've had that error before, but it took a careful bit of timing. I hit the reset button on the MinimOSD then on the computer, hit "read OSD". this was through an FTDI cable to the 6-pin header on the Minimosd.
thank you tho, for your findings.
Confirmed, works perfectly, hit reset, then hit read etc etc
Dec 27, 2013, 07:40 PM
Registered User

Thanks for helping another person


Vortecks, I had the same issues as you, followed your instructions and fixed my MinimOSD bootloader problem...

Thanks for sharing your issue and helping out the community.

Bernie
Dec 28, 2013, 01:25 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGauweiler
Vortecks, I had the same issues as you, followed your instructions and fixed my MinimOSD bootloader problem...

Thanks for sharing your issue and helping out the community.

Bernie
No problem at all
I had to do it again recently, because someone posted some dodgy firmware which apparently added loads of extras.
Dec 31, 2013, 12:01 PM
Registered User
AeroHeadTW's Avatar
I'm experiencing the same problem.

I've tried various timing using the reset button and then clicking read--but no luck there.

I'm not sure I want to buy another component, load more software to do the reflash--is it possible that my board is just bad?
Jan 02, 2014, 04:53 PM
Registered User
Vortecks, Wow. Thanks ! It works!
I thought my minimosd was broken until I discover your post.
Thanks again.
Jan 02, 2014, 10:43 PM
Registered User
I faced the same issue with boot loader ... and I cannot figure out how to connect my OSD board to usbasp programmer - I have a bit different board (see the picture attached) and I was trying to connect it in different ways.. no success.

When I'm trying to flash it with arduino, it says:
warning: cannot set sck period. Please check for usbasp firmware update

when I'm trying to flash it with avrdude, it says:
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.


can you advise on how to connect my OSD board to usbasp in a correct way?
Jan 02, 2014, 11:41 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_psch
I faced the same issue with boot loader ... and I cannot figure out how to connect my OSD board to usbasp programmer - I have a bit different board (see the picture attached) and I was trying to connect it in different ways.. no success.

When I'm trying to flash it with arduino, it says:
warning: cannot set sck period. Please check for usbasp firmware update

when I'm trying to flash it with avrdude, it says:
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
avrdude: error: programm enable: target doesn't answer. 1
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.


can you advise on how to connect my OSD board to usbasp in a correct way?
Stupid question but....have you tried it with the MinimOSD config software since you tried flashing the bootloader?

As per the above, I did say that you'd get the error..... Wait 2-3 mins and you’ll probably get an error of “warning: cannot set sck period. Please check for usbasp firmware update". Just ignore it.

Just to add..... if you're unsure of the correct wiring (pin-outs) on the usbasp side, get a multimeter and check for the 5v pin which will give you reference/orientation of the other pins.
To add more... if you reverse the polarity (5v to ground etc), you WILL fry the protection diode on the MinimOSD so it's IMPERATIVE that you get the 5v pin correct - the others don't matter if you get them wrong, it simply won't work.
Last edited by Vortecks; Jan 02, 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Jan 03, 2014, 08:30 AM
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar

Aaaaauuuuugggghhhhhh!!!!


I have the v1.1 Minim osd and getting the "Failed to talk to bootloader" error. I have correctly connected it to usbasp. I've tried to flash it using arduino as per your instructions but it keeps failing to load the bootloader.

Can someone PLEASE provide me with step-by-step instructions on using arduino or avrdude or what ever the best loader program to use?

Thank you,

Fergy
Jan 03, 2014, 08:50 AM
Falling with style
metalfred's Avatar
Dropped the guns on mine, whenever I burn the bootloader it gets erased when I flash the firmware, minnazaosd in my case. I think this has to do with EEPROM mappings that minimosd config tool needs to update just after burning the bootloader. After flashing the firmware, bootloader is gone and can't read any configs anymore.

What I don't understand is why some people don't have any problems.
Jan 03, 2014, 09:17 AM
New York Highlander
GFergy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred
Dropped the guns on mine, whenever I burn the bootloader it gets erased when I flash the firmware, minnazaosd in my case. I think this has to do with EEPROM mappings that minimosd config tool needs to update just after burning the bootloader. After flashing the firmware, bootloader is gone and can't read any configs anymore.

What I don't understand is why some people don't have any problems.
I hear ya!

How do you burn the bootloader?
Jan 03, 2014, 10:00 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecks
Stupid question but....have you tried it with the MinimOSD config software since you tried flashing the bootloader?
Yes, I did, no success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecks
As per the above, I did say that you'd get the error..... Wait 2-3 mins and you’ll probably get an error of “warning: cannot set sck period. Please check for usbasp firmware update". Just ignore it.
I'm getting that error instantly once I click 'burn boot loader' and there are no LED flashing. So I just don't know what I should wait for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecks
Just to add..... if you're unsure of the correct wiring (pin-outs) on the usbasp side, get a multimeter and check for the 5v pin which will give you reference/orientation of the other pins.
I'm sure about pins on usbasp side, I just don't know how to map usbasp pins to minimOSD board - my board is a bit different to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortecks
To add more... if you reverse the polarity (5v to ground etc), you WILL fry the protection diode on the MinimOSD so it's IMPERATIVE that you get the 5v pin correct - the others don't matter if you get them wrong, it simply won't work.
is there any way to verify that? I mean, when I connect minimOSD board to ubasp, I see the red LED is ON (on minimOSD board)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools