Jan 03, 2014, 01:16 PM

RFU antenna length

Wow, Jim. I'm sure glad I asked. One of the white parts is 13.72 mm and the other is 17.24 mm. Which is correct, 27 mm or 1.1"? According to my calipers 27 mm is 1.063". The short one is almost half of what it should be. I would have thought that would be caught in final inspection. What should I do? Is it ok to trim the shield and clip the wire to 1.963" or 1.1" or 27 mm? ( which one of the above?)

Thanks,
Art
to remove ads between posts
Jan 03, 2014, 07:11 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Well, technically 2.45GHz is 27.8mm, which is close to 1.1". If the antenna is shorted or longer by up to .1" it will still work, but be off frequency from dead center.
Jan 03, 2014, 07:43 PM

RFU antenna

Hi Jim,

I was able to trim both antennas to 27.8 mm so that problem should be solved.

Thanks for your help.
Art
Jan 17, 2014, 04:28 PM
Build more, websurf less
Jim,

Can I bind the RFU to a transmitter by powering the RFU directly with a 4.8v receiver pack?

If that is ok, then I suppose it is also ok for using the XDP.

I plan to try having it talk SBUS to a Skookum SK540 flybarless gyro.

Please advise. Thanks,

Paul
Jan 17, 2014, 04:43 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Jim,

Can I bind the RFU to a transmitter by powering the RFU directly with a 4.8v receiver pack?

If that is ok, then I suppose it is also ok for using the XDP.

I plan to try having it talk SBUS to a Skookum SK540 flybarless gyro.

Please advise. Thanks,

Paul
yup, yup.
Jan 17, 2014, 07:08 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Yep!
Jan 17, 2014, 07:46 PM
Build more, websurf less
Done - see 3-axis gyro thread. Thanks KM and Jim for the tips.
Feb 25, 2017, 08:07 AM
I'll Fly Anything...
Hi All, I'm using RFU's in First Person View (FPV) Quads - they have great range and can be configured for PPM; which is perfect!

Question 1: What do you do when you chop up one of the Antennae like a blade of grass with the prop during an 'incident?' Do you send the whole receiver back to XTreme Power Systems, or can you get replacement wires? Sorry, no pics. I'm too embarassed.

Question 2: I'm using completely encased RC Car tubes to protect these antenna wires. So there are two tubes sticking out of these quads at a 90 degree included angle. Could I tape the antenna wires to the bottom of the quad at 90 degrees and still be okay? I am pretty sure not, but looking for guidance in this relatively new field of RC.

I could test this and report, but I do not want to be regarded as an idiot... Just saying...

Ross
Feb 25, 2017, 03:02 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
I was forwarded your email from Tech Support about this question. I will just answer you here...

The RFU has to come back to get the antenna replaced. It's a free replacement, you just pay for the shipping to/from us.

As long as you are not taping the antenna (the white portion of the coax wire) directly to metal or carbon fiber, it will work fine.
Mar 11, 2017, 03:10 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Thanks Jim! I'm working on a package to send your way. I remember seeing some instructions about having repairs staged in such a way as to include additional items placed in the shopping cart so as to combine items for shipping?

Ross
Mar 11, 2017, 04:09 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Look at the top of the home page of our website. You will see a link for repairing a product. You will add the "repair" to the shopping cart just like you would any other product. You can place any other items you want in the cart and then check out. When our system sees that there is a repair in an order, the order is held until the item to repaired has arrived, and then the repaired item and rest of the order is shipped back at the same time.
Mar 12, 2017, 06:35 PM
I'll Fly Anything...
Got it Jim, worked like a charm (or in this case, the way it was programmed). Thank you,

Ross