Nov 20, 2013, 03:06 PM
I too hope Jim chimes in on suggested installs for our skinny carbon fuses. I am waiting for the sailplane receiver to show up and then I will make the switch to XPS

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2013, 07:04 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
The sailplane receiver was discontinued a few years ago and will not be replaced. People are using the RFU with X10+. The X10+ is 1.4" wide. Installation is just like what you see above.
Nov 20, 2013, 08:47 PM
This seems to be the first time I have heard that the sailplane receiver was not going to be replaced, is that correct?
Nov 20, 2013, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
The sailplane receiver was discontinued a few years ago and will not be replaced. People are using the RFU with X10+. The X10+ is 1.4" wide. Installation is just like what you see above.
From "The" man himself.......
Nov 20, 2013, 10:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
That is correct. Most people use Nanos in sailplanes, and now the RFU for 100% carbon setups.
Nov 21, 2013, 06:15 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Adams
This seems to be the first time I have heard that the sailplane receiver was not going to be replaced, is that correct?
it has been mentioned before... what is in the works though is a more compact version of the X10+ (2x4 rows of servo outputs in a brick like format)
Nov 21, 2013, 08:03 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
I have that design, but the X10+ is a lot smaller than people thought it was. The X10+ fits in any of the gliders above. So, I am not sure how necessary a small version will be.
Nov 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
Live for speed
Jim, are you saying that the whisker style antenna placement in the pics above are OK for the RFU? They would be flapping and vibrating around in the air stream.
Nov 21, 2013, 10:04 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
These are hard tubes, not just wires flapping around.
Last edited by JimDrew; Nov 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
Nov 22, 2013, 05:52 AM
Quote:
These are hard tubes, not just wires flapping around.
Jim,

Someone recently asked if it was OK to completely encase the antennas in a plastic tube and I don't recall you specifically answering that question.....

Based on your statement above, that answer would be "yes" ?? If yes, will the range be adversly effected by doing so ??
Nov 22, 2013, 06:11 AM
Gotta Luv Gasser Helis..
The antenna is already encased in plastic, the white stuff over the wire , the wire is the actual antenna..

Another layer of PLASTIC will make no difference at all ....

Nov 22, 2013, 09:25 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
You will need to range test it. Some plastics will NOT work at all as they add capacitive load to the antenna system. I have not found any Nyrod or similar tubes that do cause a problem though.
Nov 22, 2013, 12:10 PM
Quote:
You will need to range test it. Some plastics will NOT work at all as they add capacitive load to the antenna system. I have not found any Nyrod or similar tubes that do cause a problem though.
Jim,

Thanx for the DEFINITIVE answer..... "Assuming" is not good enough for me !
Jan 03, 2014, 09:38 AM

RFU antenna length

On the RFU, are the two white portions of the antennas supposed to be the same length? The one I just got has one white portion about 0.150" longer than the other. If they are supposed to be the same length how long should the white portion be?
If the longer one is too long I can clip it to the same length but if the short one is the problem is it possible to peel back the covering and trimming the shield?

Thanks,
Art
Jan 03, 2014, 10:47 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Wow... yes, they are suppose to be identical - 27mm (1.1"). Those are all machine cut, so I am not sure how that could even happen. You can just use an X-acto knife and rotate it around the black portion, pull the black sleeve off and peel back the metal shield and trim with clippers.