Oct 17, 2019, 09:45 AM
Thread OP

Big Wind today?

Looks like some Clearing Winds are moving thru today, after that little dusting of rain last night.

Anybody get a chance to fly Coyote Hills today?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 12:27 PM
Old newb
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip.greely
Ah yes,..

,,,the old emergency Asia Trip. I don't miss those,...but I do miss the well planned Qtrly trips to the Subcontractors to 'Kick the Tires' so to speak.
Not so bad. There is a Tokyo lay over. Plus a Fujian tour. Might get to go to Xian (LOVE THE FOOD IN THE MUSLIM DISTRICT - Kabobs and noodle soup. YES!) PLUS it is not SUMMER! (I melt there in Summer....)

Have I done this before?????
Oct 19, 2019, 01:01 PM
Thread OP

Feels like a Plank Day

I'm thinking that Sunday will be a 'Break out the Planks' day at Coyote Hills,

Inspired by Mark's recent acquisition of a JW, its been far too long since I took my Planks out for a spin,.......so the California Special, the Tron, the M60, etc... will all get their turns tomorrow, as the forecast looks to be GOOD!
Oct 19, 2019, 08:12 PM
Quote:
I'm thinking that Sunday will be a 'Break out the Planks' day at Coyote Hills,

Inspired by Mark's recent acquisition of a JW, its been far too long since I took my Planks out for a spin,.......so the California Special, the Tron, the M60, etc... will all get their turns tomorrow, as the forecast looks to be GOOD!

Charging now. Alex will join you with his Bee2. Closest thing we have to a plank. Planning to be there around 1p..
Oct 20, 2019, 08:01 AM
Sokol
flew at Coyote on Sat afternoon, met with Gabriel and spouse.

I maidened my brand new Mini-Q, this thing is damm fast !!!

Flew nicely until met the ground unexpectedly...No damage except that the main former at the center of the canopy opening got partially unglued.
Did not notice at first , and attempted to keep flying,. The plane could not fly well after that, as it did not have any roll stability, it was just like jello.
The plane as it came from Aloft needed to be glued in this area, which I did, but did not last too long.
Back to the shop, and more glue , maybe adding a reinforcement bridge across the fuse, connecting the two wing halves more solidly.

About the weather , it was dead calm until 4:15,

had a great 1/2 hour at about 4:45, and then the wind dropped a bit.
At 5:30 was out of this world, true west perpendicular to the hill , blowing like crazy, hats flying etc. left at 6:15 with a big grin in my face !.
Oct 20, 2019, 08:54 AM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
JureZ,

Yes you are correct. The Mini Qs all come unglued in that center section and putting support across the opening helps dramatically.
I believe my CG is at 20mm. Have fun with it! I know I do!
Jeremy
Oct 20, 2019, 01:24 PM
Thread OP
I still like the idea of glassing the rear of that opening shut, to provide additional support. It looks like you could easily close that opening from the plywood bulkhead all the way back, maybe even before it. Just need enough room to get the battery in and be able to fish out wing servo wires
Oct 20, 2019, 05:04 PM
Ultrabatics enthusiast
Not everyone is good at glassing (me) so the bamboo sticks makes the wing real rigid and strong, plus 10x easier for me. LOL.
Oct 20, 2019, 10:31 PM
Thread OP
No worries Jer,

I'd probably just cut the canopy and Gorilla Glue the back part of it onto the wing
Oct 20, 2019, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Nice day at Coyote Hills today,

I got there at 1pm and started thinking about what Yuri said happened to him yesterday, while watching Flat Water in the center of the Bay. Things started picking up about 2pm (make a note for future reference) and the day produced from then on. Logged some well deserved flight hours on the JW,....almost forgot how much fun that 38oz California Special is for Frontside flying,...so agile. Mark & Alex got a future glimpse of what their JWs will be doing shortly. Between flights, I sat and provided Sound Effects for Matt's Mini-Q as it tore up the place. I told him I call it the "2 second plane" cause if you take your eyes off it, you've got 2 sec to find it before its down.

Wind continued due W and skirting around 20mph so launched the Raider Racer for some laps and an occasional let the lift take her all the way up. Love watching her coming down from altitude with the North Hill in the background on a Right to Left

Just about as good as a day gets, here
Oct 20, 2019, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Nice day at Coyote Hills today,

........,...so agile. Mark & Alex got a future glimpse of what their JWs will be doing shortly. ...........

Just about as good as a day gets, here
Really fun day. After flying for about an hour and a half Alex fell asleep while we kept on flying. Was nice to see your JW fly! Went home and check the weight the build one I just got. It's 29 oz without being balanced.. I think this one will be in the mid to high 30's. On a good note the single 'servo' wire sticking out of it is actually a battery power to the receiver. Pretty sure its a FM. ..... would be nice to find out what channel with out ripping the cover off the receiver and then use my Stylus if its comparable

Time to start building and rebuilding.

Mark

PS. It took ~9oz. to balance to the recommended CG. AUW will be ~39 oz. I can shave off a few ounces if I use my tungsten powder way up front in the nose.. The receiver IS a Hitec 5 channel FM - not sure yet what channel - suregery is going slow to minimize the scarring
Last edited by gp49; Oct 21, 2019 at 10:24 AM.
Oct 20, 2019, 11:44 PM
Not to be a complete heretic, but has anyone here had any luck sticking an electric motor in the Mini-Q? Not getting to the slope as much as I'd like these days...
Oct 21, 2019, 09:46 AM
Building gliders aaagain...

e mini q

https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...c-sports-racer

take a look might give you a hint.
Oct 21, 2019, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JureZ
flew at Coyote on Sat afternoon, met with Gabriel and spouse.

I maidened my brand new Mini-Q, this thing is damm fast !!!

......it was just like jello.......

Did you CG maybe shifted as well?
Oct 21, 2019, 11:49 AM
Sokol
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp49
Did you CG maybe shifted as well?
no, the CG was checked , correctly.

about the cross-spar joining the two wing halves,
I will use some carbon fiber plates from a donated quad frame,
as I think it should be strong in both compression and tension,
in order to avoid flexing of the wings ( +/- 2mm observed ).

Quick Reply