This thread is privately moderated by fh64_lucky, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 24, 2013, 06:33 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP
Cool

My Koi pond is finished!

Built this by hand, it has twin waterfalls each with own pumps, filters. UV light to kill Algea. Aprox 1500 gallons, 8x10 x 2-3.5 feet deep. I buried all plumbing and electricle wires underground so nothing shows. Been a really fun project and never ending as I will be adding to it and the backyard probably forever!
Koi pond 1500 gallons with twin waterfalls finished Oct, 2013 (1 min 16 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 24, 2013, 08:06 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP
What are those?? I bet they would do just fine in my pond!
Oct 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
Plowin Dirt
I'll go for Mary-Ann. That being said, I did a pond for the wife. Had to get a small backhoe in to dig the hole. Single pump, no filter system because it was to far to hide the filtration system/power and it freezes here. Just plain old goldfish.

You did a really nice looking job & I love the water sounds. I know the work you put into it & it shows. You should be proud.

I designed, pre-fabbed (it's not completed in the pic) the Pergola in the back ground for the wife. If you're married, look forward to more work.. I guess the best part being everything makes the wife SUPER happy. Costs be damned..

Dan
Oct 25, 2013, 08:56 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP
Wow! Very nice! Our backyard I hope will look that good over time, that is really relaxing.
Oct 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP

Pictures

1st picture
Oct 26, 2013, 03:07 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP

more

2nd
Oct 26, 2013, 03:08 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP

more

progress
Oct 27, 2013, 06:35 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP

building waterfall

Getting it done!
Oct 27, 2013, 06:36 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP

Liner

installing
Oct 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
Plowin Dirt
Hurts my back just looking at the shovel. We 'stepped' our pond kind of like you did. The wife wanted a 2-1/2' deep center, a 1' wide 'shelf' around the perimeter for plants and the whole pond tapered up towards the pump intake in case any kids/cats/dogs fell in and could get out. I think we're around 1500~1600 gal.

If you decide to build a Pergola, add picnic table, benches, chairs, slabs etc. or something similar, you might take a look at using Google SketchUp. It's free and is 3D. You can design/layout your whole yard with it. I used it for our Pergola. Did all the design so I could pre-fabricate/paint everything on the ground and just set/bolt everything into place. I still have the drawings I used although I did some minor changes. I saved around $3K by designing/building it myself instead of hiring it done. It really added some POP to the yard.

I like your waterfall more than ours.

Dan
Oct 27, 2013, 01:05 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Thread OP
Thank you for advice sir! We got some plants yesterday along with 2 butterfly Koi....added nicely to pond. Will start building deck in spring under tree so we can enjoy everything on summer nights, I will have to check that out, would be nice to design backyard before we do anything. Joe
Oct 28, 2013, 12:37 AM
Plowin Dirt
Joe,
Shoot up some huge pics. We'd love to see them.
The area we live in had a Koi disease go through a few years ago and wiped out a whole bunch of ponds. One dealer was wiped out and he had to close the business. Wasn't his fault but he took the brunt of it. Something like 2 to 300 ponds.

Dan

Quick Reply