Dec 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
KE Spins make me dizzy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack
Now is there a small frame that we could build a brushless quad, and what do we use for an FC?
excuse the OT answer to this...

the alias frame looks promising for such a project. motor pods are in the correct orientation, has room for a decent pack underneath and the fc space looks large enough.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2013, 03:14 PM
Jake From Planet Mascoutah, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team F.A.R.T.
There is a video on YouTube on how to calibrate the 180qx. I tried to post a link but couldn't. Just search blade 180qx calibration. Don't know why it has to be such a big secret. So stupid.
That is not a video from Horizon Hobby, but one made by another user who got the fix from Horizon Hobby.
Dec 13, 2013, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131
That is not a video from Horizon Hobby, but one made by another user who got the fix from Horizon Hobby.
So what it works right. Who cares who made it.
Dec 13, 2013, 04:43 PM
Anyone notice the Hobbyking Qbot quad copter looks exactly like the Blade 180Qx? I'm thinking about getting one for spare parts. The radio looks better also and it's only $40.
Dec 13, 2013, 04:48 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Quote:
Anyone notice the Hobbyking Qbot quad copter looks exactly like the Blade 180Qx? I'm thinking about getting one for spare parts. The radio looks better also and it's only $40.
Actually, the Hobbyking Qbot is a rebranded (with a new canopy) WLToys V929 quad. The V929 looks very similar to the Blade mQX (the mQX came first, I believe).

FWIW, the Qbot / V929 uses the FlySky radio protocol which is incompatible with the Blade Spektrum protocol that the 180QX uses.

Otherwise, the V929 series quads are fairly parts compatible with the mQX and thus should be pretty good about being compatible with the 180QX. The motors have a different plug but that's no problem if you don't mind soldering. Not sure if the mQX/180QX FC board will fit on the mainframe of the V929/Qbot, but the booms should still fit (if memory serves...)
Dec 13, 2013, 04:52 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Here's the link to the RCGroups forum about the V929:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1680188

and here's a link to the 2nd gen V929 called the V949:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8501&highlight

You can search/ask there for which parts would be the ones that fit the best for the 180QX
Dec 13, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Here is a Helifreaks thread on calibrating the 180QX:
How to calibrate the 180QX with video
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=584607

As mentioned in the title, post 10 has a video on performing the calibration.

This other Helifreaks thread
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=583782

mentions a HH rep mentioning the procedure being posted by HH once they finalize it.
Last edited by flying-llama; Dec 13, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Dec 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli
Otherwise, the V929 series quads are fairly parts compatible with the mQX and thus should be pretty good about being compatible with the 180QX. The motors have a different plug but that's no problem if you don't mind soldering.
On some forum is a post about desoldering the plug on a stock mQx motor (the plug has pins sticking out both ends) and using that plug to connect a V929 motor to mQx motor wires (without any further more soldering).

From looking at images, I believe that the motor wire coloring (red/blue and black/white) to indicate a cw versus a ccw motor are the opposite on an mQx and a V929.
Dec 13, 2013, 05:40 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Quote:
There is a video on YouTube on how to calibrate the 180qx. I tried to post a link but couldn't. Just search blade 180qx calibration. Don't know why it has to be such a big secret. So stupid.
Quote:
So what it works right. Who cares who made it.
There is only one video I could find about the calibration sequence,(embedded below), but the instructions given in the video are not the instructions from HH to correct the drift issue. I've tried it the YouTube guy's way and it doesn't work. I'm not even sure if the guy even tried it for real before he posted that video.

KC

Blade 180 QX Calibration how to (10 min 8 sec)
Dec 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
There is only one video I could find about the calibration sequence,(embedded below), but the instructions given in the video are not the instructions from HH to correct the drift issue. I've tried it the YouTube guy's way and it doesn't work. I'm not even sure if the guy even tried it for real before he posted that video.

KC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9hHg...e_gdata_player
I found a set of instructions in this Helifreaks thread:

Do the instructions in this Helifreaks thread match the instructions from HH?

Thanks.

LATER: As answered in a later post, the instructions in this Helifreaks thread and the instructions from HH mentioned here are somewhat different.

Blade has released calibration instructions (actually 2 types of calibration):
http://www.bladehelis.com/ProdInfo/F...bration_EN.pdf

Looking at it explains why the instructions from HH mentioned here are not the same as the instructions mentioned in this Helifreaks thread:
*the instructions in this Helifreaks thread resemble the agility mode calibration instructions from Blade.

*the instructions from HH mentioned here resemble the stability mode calibration instructions from Blade.
Last edited by flying-llama; Dec 20, 2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Blade has issued 2 types of calibration instructions: agility and stability
Dec 13, 2013, 06:11 PM
Rocket Programmer
Here's the official Blade Helis channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/bladehelis

They have not posted the 180QX calibration yet, but I bet they are working on it. They just posted all the 350QX calibration stuff last week. I might do one if we think it's a big need, but this is a rare problem, right?

I posted my review last night. It took a few tries to get some flight footage and it still isn't perfectly centered but you can see the thing flying. I didn't include radio setup or anything in this video like I usually do, because that's posted in separate videos already...

Blade 180QX Consumer Review and Flight Test (w/ Crash) (10 min 21 sec)

Radio Setup for Blade 350 QX and Blade 180 QX (9 min 26 sec)

Blade 180QX Video Test (2 min 54 sec)
Dec 13, 2013, 07:40 PM

Calibration comparison....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama
I found a set of instructions in this Helifreaks thread:

Do the instructions in this Helifreaks thread match the instructions from HH?

Thanks.
Those instructions are similar but not the same as instructions I received from HH. They asked me not to post as a courtesy. Definitely not trying to ruffle feathers here. Those that don't want to call HH or pm me might enjoy reading the YouTube video description on post 343.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=343
Last edited by NewPil0t; Dec 13, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Dec 13, 2013, 07:52 PM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
The instructions from Helifreak mirrors the YouTube guy, but it doesn't work to correct the drifting problem. You shouldn't have to use the trim after caliberating like they are reporting. It might be a method for calibrating for something else, but who knows what.

I'm finding that the 180Qx needs to be calibrated quite often. A slight bump or jarring can cause it to start drifting.

Nice videos, Jasmine! I've seen your posts from other threads and always thought you were a girl, but I guess your dog must be Jasmine.
Dec 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC

Nice videos, Jasmine! I've seen your posts from other threads and always thought you were a girl, but I guess your dog must be Jasmine.
Lol no, the dog is Akira. The etymology of jasmine2501 is a little obscure, but it's anime related... someone on here got it once.
Dec 13, 2013, 09:02 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPil0t
Those instructions are similar but not the same as instructions I received from HH. They asked me not to post as a courtesy. Definitely not trying to ruffle feathers here.
Understood. Thanks!
One possibility: HH support may have given out slightly different sets of instructions to different people (at different times) as they try to figure which sets will both work and be easier to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
The instructions from Helifreak mirrors the YouTube guy, but it doesn't work to correct the drifting problem.
The YouTube guy appears on post 10 of that Helifreak thread, so as far as I can tell, it is more like the YouTube guy was making a video for the instructions found in that thread. In that YouTube video, the guy mentions that his 180QX did not have a drifting problem (so he was not really in a position to independently test if the instructions would fix a drifting problem).

Quick Reply