Feb 23, 2004, 05:29 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Another fine looking model....
to remove ads between posts
Feb 23, 2004, 05:34 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
This FUN FLY seems like a significant turning point. Many members are flying more and more Electric models such as two members that built their own 3D models using BLUE COR material by DOW and CORNING and using stock GWS EPS-300 assemblies.

The flew great and for a long time just using Ni-MH packs!

Lots of older members getting into the Electric modeling as well.
Mar 02, 2004, 12:02 AM
Account closed
Thread OP

HABBICO SUPER STAR EP with ENDOPLASMA

Gang/Fans:

The HABBICO SUPER STAR EP (Electric Power) flew with the newer 3300mAH, 8-Cells, Ni-MH monster Batteries weighing at 18 ¼ oz.!

The delta between the original 7-Cell, SC-2100mAH, Ni-Cd and the Monster 8-Cell, 3300mAH, Ni-MH is 5 ½ oz. So, the model tips the scale at a whopping 3lbs.-2 1/4oz. With the 7-Cell, 2100mAH, Ni-Cd the model tipped the scale at 2lbs.-12 3/4oz.

FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS and DURATION:

The model with this extra weight and the way I had to squeeze the 8-Cell, 3300mAH, Ni-MH pack made it a little nose heavy. The new 3300mAH, Ni-MH pack was conditioned last night and this morning at MOON PORT MODELERS CLUB she was placed at the field facing the South with just 4MPH winds. I throttled up nice and easy and she started to roll but, with lots of speed. Using the APC “Thin Electric” 11 X 8.5 Propeller I was able to maintain her tracking straight and she lifted off level but, as she gained air speed it was easy to get her up in altitude with no problem. Turns have to be very gentle since she is much heavier.

Coming over the field and over the flyer (me) she exhibited lots of air speed with the extra voltage to the motor. It was close to 40 MPH as she zoomed by at ¾ throttle. Loops were real tricky since she lost lots of momentum at the top of the loops because of the extra weight and using a smaller diameter propeller. However, a little more throttle and an extra nose down gave her the needed speed to perform an adequate loop with good control.

I timed the flight and because the wind started to pick up, I landed the SUPER STAR after 14 minutes and 47 seconds with ample power to taxi all the way to my feet! I picked her up and throttle up and demonstrated to those there at MOON PORT that she still could have flown for another 3 – 4 minutes! The best thing was those 3300mAH were not even warm!!

Carlos.
Mar 02, 2004, 12:04 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn Brush Motor (3,785 RPM/VOLT)
GD-600 gearbox by GREAT PLANES
Using the optional pinion for 3.8:1 ratio
8-Cell, Slightly larger than Sub-C, 3300mAH, Ni-MH.
Great Planes 50 Amps Speed Controller
APC "Thin Electric" 11 X 8.5 Propeller

FULL THROTTLE: 26 Amps Steady (Fully charged)
HALF THROTTLE: 17 Amps Steady (Fully charged)

FULL THROTTLE: 21 Amps Steady (After 12 minutes)
HALF THROTTLE: 13 Amps Steady (After 12 Minutes)

Very good duration and performance.

I will try to fly her soon with the original SC2100 Ni-Cd, 7-Cells and will report back later!

Carlos
Mar 02, 2004, 12:07 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Great flying at MOON PORT MODELERS with those other members such as Rodney, George, and others who seem to be flying more and more electric models. Rodney flying his Tiger Moth (Originai GWS Tiger Moth) and others with some RTF such as AEROBIRD did very well considering the windy and cloudy conditions.

Nice to have a club on the way to work!

Carlos
Mar 15, 2004, 07:48 AM
Account closed
Thread OP

GP-3300mAH Ni-MH Batteries

HOBBICO SUPER STAR EP FLIGHT REPORT
Weight: 3lbs. - 3 1/4oz.
Motor: KYOSHO ENDOPLASMA
Gearbox: GD-600 with optional 3.8:1 pinion
Servos: 2-Standard HS-300's
Receiver: RSA 535 Dual Conversion
ESC: Great Planes 50 Amp
Battery: 8-Cells, GP-3300mAH, Ni-MH
Prop: APC "E" 11 X 8.5
AMPs: 26.5 AMPS@ WOT (19 AMPs @ Half Throttle)

Flew with great authority and much less AMP draw using the APC "E" 11 X 8.5 comparing it to the APC "E" 13 X 10 when I bought it from Chuck.

Flew this morning while Chuck watching and she flew for a whopper of 25 minutes! This is a record ladies and gentlemen!
Second Flight was just 20 minutes with lot s of high speed passes and TOUCH & GOES. Those GP-3300mAH batteries are just wonderful! Well, I did have an unexpected cut-off right over the WEST Fence but, managed to gluide her in at the very soft dirt at the WEST end of the field.

She even flew for 9 minutes using the older and original 7-Cell, SC-2100mAH, Ni-Cd's!

I am trying REAL HARD to get the SKY RAIDER built and flight ready so, I will be logging off for now.

In the morning, I will be at the AIR SHOW in Titusville, Florida! Hope to see some of you there!

Later!
Carlos
Mar 15, 2004, 08:21 PM
Hey Carlos,
I was just about to click on the Orlando Squadron link when the MoonPort link caught my eye.
Good job and great idea for getting a thread going for the clubs over here in Brevard.
If only more KARS Flyers would jump in here and chatter away. Maybe if alot of messages showed up about the KARS field activities there would be more leverage in getting the new proposed field. It's hard to get NASA moving when there appears to be little or no interest in the hobby. I'll try to do my part in keeping the Moonport link at the top of the list.

Found another person at KARS field Sunday morning that I have never seen before. He apparently visited the Viera field alot and wanted some place he could fly after work.

I let him know we seem to congregate at the field on Thursday afternoons. Maybe he'll be there this week ... weather permitting (me too).

Nice pics of the Moonport Fly-in and the TICO airshow. I wanted to go to the TICO airshow myself but was overcome by the urge to fly myself. Such is life.

See ya at the field,
Dave T.
Mar 18, 2004, 06:33 PM

03-18-2004 Kars Field Activity

Hello,
Several people showed after work today at the KARS Flyers Field 1. The weather was nice and sunny. The wind was the normal crosswind for the field but a little more gusty. KTTS wind predictions were fairly accurate.
John (Eagle II trainer) and I (UltraStick40) were the only ones flying for a little bit. A few watchers showed up. John offered his buddy box to them but I guess the wind was a little intimidating. A Zaggi pilot showed (sorry I don't remember the name) and flew his electric.
I had the wonderful experience of getting to wade out into 3 foot deep water to retrieve my plane. The engine quit just after I turned to the west (down wind). I thought I got it down OK but forgot about the 4 foot embankment that you can't see from the field. Most planes do OK until the run off the edge of this and find themselves flying again. Fortunately, the UltraStick40 was suspended by the tall grass/reeds growing in the retention pond. Unfortunately, they did hold MY weight. So I got wet from the knees down. The plane didn't have a drop on it nor did any "spears" puncture the covering. After ringing out my socks and dumping the water from my boots, I was in the air again.
Since the spectators had to go to work or home, John and I decided to quit a tad early.
KTTS shows a prediction of higher winds on Saturday morning than on Sunday morning so I guess Sunday morning will be my primary day to fly this weekend.

See ya at the field,
Dave T.
Mar 21, 2004, 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by guapoman2000
Kyosho Endoplasma 16-Turn Brush Motor (3,785 RPM/VOLT)
GD-600 gearbox by GREAT PLANES
Using the optional pinion for 3.8:1 ratio
8-Cell, Slightly larger than Sub-C, 3300mAH, Ni-MH.
Great Planes 50 Amps Speed Controller
APC "Thin Electric" 11 X 8.5 Propeller

FULL THROTTLE: 26 Amps Steady (Fully charged)
HALF THROTTLE: 17 Amps Steady (Fully charged)

FULL THROTTLE: 21 Amps Steady (After 12 minutes)
HALF THROTTLE: 13 Amps Steady (After 12 Minutes)

Very good duration and performance.

I will try to fly her soon with the original SC2100 Ni-Cd, 7-Cells and will report back later!

Carlos
i have a bunch of these cells here my brother bought because he wanted to learn how to fly, but never did... so now im going to use them.... do you know how many amps is safe to draw from the SC2100's? im planning on using it on a mega 22 , in the manual it says the stock motor draws 25amps... i wonder if thins thing will put out 40A?
Mar 21, 2004, 02:33 AM
Account closed
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally posted by midnitedew
i have a bunch of these cells here my brother bought because he wanted to learn how to fly, but never did... so now im going to use them.... do you know how many amps is safe to draw from the SC2100's? im planning on using it on a mega 22 , in the manual it says the stock motor draws 25amps... i wonder if thins thing will put out 40A?
I would not go over 22 AMPS continuous, if you are referring to the SC-2100's, however, when my HOBBICO SUPER STAR EP had the APC "E" 13 X 10 propeller, it was drawing 33 AMPS at take off and I quickly throttle back.

The newer GP-3300's can take 40 AMP draw at short bursts and perhaps low 30 AMP steady.

Carlos
Last edited by guapoman2000; Mar 21, 2004 at 02:36 AM.
Mar 21, 2004, 12:01 PM

KARS Field - Vernal Equinox +1

Went flying today. What a beautiful morning. Arrived at KARS Field at about 0745. Had field to myself the whole morning except when a NASA heli over fly the field to the east. Good thing my heli was on the ground at the time. The door gunner looked like he had that "make my day" attitude (gimme something to shot at!).
I made two very pleasing flights with my RAPTOR30. I hadn't flown the thing in a long time. Felt good to stir the sticks again.

About 1000 the winds made their presence be know. It wasn't blowing hard (about what KTTS predicted for 1000) but was at the limit of my heli flying skills. So I chnaged over to the UltraStick40 and made three more flights with it.

Over all, a very relaxing morning. I will post a few photos of the field. No flight shots because no one was there to operate the camera or fly their plane.

See ya at the field,
Dave T.
Mar 21, 2004, 12:24 PM

Photo KARS-1: Sign designating this as Flying Field #1. I still have found flying field #2, #3 , or .....
Mar 21, 2004, 12:27 PM

Photo KARS-2: Photo of the wind streamer pole. Just a mild wind blowing.
Mar 21, 2004, 12:32 PM

Photo KARS-3: My Raptor30 prep for flight with the Ultrastick40 wing in foreground.
Mar 21, 2004, 11:00 PM
Account closed
Thread OP
Dave,

Super shots of our KARS field at the Space Center!

I for one will be coming more often since I had a run in with a fine piece of human being this afternoon on a dirt bike (4 X 4 All ATV).

He and another guy was just tearing up everything in sight and one fly waved his hands when this guy and his buddy started to rip through our park side and where we stand to fly our models.

He didn't like it one bit and when I told him that there's 10 acres of field and no need to come over us he told me, "HEY YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ME MORE THAN ONCE! MOTHER FUXXX!

At this point he and I came face to face and Earl, and another new flyer came right behind me and this guy just got on his bike and left.

I really don't know what are in peoples heads these days!

Quick Reply