Oct 30, 2013, 09:09 AM
testing mine

Onboard Cam: APM2.5 AC3.1 rc5 Autotune ride on 800mm Quadcopter (1 min 56 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2013, 09:24 AM

Jabram, What motors?

Joe, I was wondering what kind of motors you were running on the hex with the new 12 inch props. I ask because I have 4 new 2814 rctimers that have a 5mm shaft and want to use the collets that came with them. They take a 8mm prop hub diameter and I was wondering whether you reamed out the props?

P.S. Is it ok to ream out the props to 8mm to use with the supplied props adapters?
Oct 30, 2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenosha
Joe, I was wondering what kind of motors you were running on the hex with the new 12 inch props. I ask because I have 4 new 2814 rctimers that have a 5mm shaft and want to use the collets that came with them. They take a 8mm prop hub diameter and I was wondering whether you reamed out the props?

P.S. Is it ok to ream out the props to 8mm to use with the supplied props adapters?
The motors I am using on the Hexa are Rctimer 2820-1080KV prototype motors with a 4 screw prop adaptor, prop shaft on the adaptor is 5mm which fits the Rctimer CF 12 x 4.5 prop without any modification to the prop.

Same motor with the 9 x 5, again without any modification to the prop
Oct 30, 2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by afxdz
Neat, love the way the earth bends when doing the Pitch gain tuning
Oct 30, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charosenz
Dang impressive! Good job, and thanks for posting. It is encouraging to those of us who are just not quite there yet....but close...

I would like to see a screen shot of your copter PIDS and I am curious which frame is that?

OK, set up...
Turnigy 2836/9 950kv motors 12.22
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Turnigy Plush 25a esc's $13.44
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html

Goodluckbuy Flycat Quad Frame $37.70
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/flycat-mw...er-black-.html

Gemfan 9 x 4.7 props $6.04 (4 of each)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...7SF_4_pc_.html
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Rotation_.html

Arduflyer 2.5
Mavlink OSD
GN06 GPS
Current sensor
Sony 800tvl CMOS camera
Boscam 200mw VTX with clover leaf antenna
GoPro Hero 2 HD

I disabled the roll axis on the camera mount as it induces horrible vibrations, I replaced it with a simple 90 deg plate
I also fixed a carbon fibre tube across the top of the mount bracket (between to two front arms) and fitted it with earplugs to further dampen vibrations
A short peice of pool woggle (pool noodle) on each leag to raise it a little bit as the camera mount would hit the deck otherwise

I'm sure my firmware is 3.01 but don't know where to look to confirm that

PID's

Oh yes one more thing
It has 6 led's on each side of each arm to aid night flying

Here's the video again for anyone else wants to see it

Radian and Arduflyer 2.5 Spider Quadcopter in 27mph gusts (3 min 9 sec)
Oct 30, 2013, 12:23 PM
.... flyin' dirty ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmd
It would be boring if we just talked about the APM constantly although 99% of this is the APM. But that little story really deserved to be told because it's just once in a lifetime you actually get to do that. Now of course he did get out on bond and the resort did put a restraining order on him and while I've seen his buddies I haven't seen him since and the one time I saw his buddies they didn't say a damn word they just kept their heads down and kept on walking
How bout a quick point if you know where to find the story so I dont have to put my waders on.
Oct 30, 2013, 12:57 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
@jabram

I made a instruction sheet for the module
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...structions.jpg

Modules will Soon be available at http://www.canadadrones.com
Last edited by irun4fundotca; Oct 30, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Oct 30, 2013, 01:10 PM
Quit Cryin and Get Flyin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyThirty
How bout a quick point if you know where to find the story so I dont have to put my waders on.
So I had to put the waders on

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=9233
Oct 30, 2013, 01:15 PM
DipStick
Subscribed
Oct 30, 2013, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdpru
From an engineering configuration management piont of view, the revision from 2.5 to 2.6 makes all the sense in the world. You can't have a 2.5 with a magnetometer and a 2.5 without. The Form, Fit and Function have to be the same for them to be identical and in this case, the Form and Fit are good, but the funciton is not.

I think you should edit the post to describe why the mag was removed. I'm sure you know and it was removed for pretty good reason.
I cannot think of any good reason for removing the Magnetometer and calling it APM 2.6 simply because none exists.

I can think of many reasons for not removing the magnetometer and then calling it APM 2.6, here are just some;
  • It misleads and deceives people into thinking it is a New Improved model when in fact it is not.

• There is already a perfectly adequate easy provision to cut the trace and disable the on-board magnetometer on every APM 2.5 board ever made.

• Leaving the Magnetometer off or cutting the trace are IDENTICAL with absolutely no difference whatsoever to the operation of APM 2.5

• The explanation/excuse was that user's had difficulty cutting the trace, so why did they not simply offer to cut the trace for them.

• 3DR sell 2 versions of APM 2.5, one with straight headers and one with right angle headers, they are both called APM 2.5, no different dot increment required, cutting the trace is just another option to APM 2.5

• 3DR could have offered to cut the trace if in fact cutting the trace is just oh so difficult for some poor dears and continued to call it APM 2.5 just like they do for the 2 existing APM 2.5 with different headers.

Leaving the Magnetometer off is actually a disadvantage
You are deprived of the option of re-enabling the magnetometer [as you would if you simply cut the trace on any APM 2.5 board ever made] in cases where you may want to not use an external magnetometer or if your external magnetometer is damaged, or for a quick test if you suspect the external magnetometer is damaged, or if you decide to install it in a frame that does not need an external Magnetometer.
It makes no sense for a manufacturer or re-seller to stock 2 different models that are already covered by one model with the Magnetometer trace cut or not cut.

There is no good engineering nor any other reason for leaving the magnetometer off nor for giving it a new incremental part number other than the intent to mislead and deceive people into believing it is a New Improved Model when in fact you get "less" than if you buy APM 2.5.

It is patently obvious reading this forum that many have fallen for the "clever" marketing trick.

If you know of a good reason for removing the magnetometer and calling it APM 2.6, I certainly would love to read all about it.
Last edited by jabram; Oct 30, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Oct 30, 2013, 03:09 PM
.... flyin' dirty ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadmd
Pictures of the waders or it didnt happen

Thanks Doc
Oct 30, 2013, 03:25 PM
Done it all
Quadmd.

I love the unrelated story and pictured it while I read it.

I met a guy in the airport parking lot last week, he was crying. I asked him why? He said it was about his wife. He told me she is hot, good in bed, she cooks, she cleans, she waits on him hand and foot. So, I said "Well, what are you crying about then?"

He said " I forgot where I live"

That story comes close to home I forgot how to start my Hex, I have too many multimotor copters. 1 Phantom that tries to run back to China, 2 Blade QX350s that fly pretty good, and 1 Flamewheel 550, DJI stuff removed, modified to run with the 3DR Ardu 2.5 system. I never upgraded the system because it flies perfect.

How do I start it, I forgot because I mainly use the QX350 for video. Also I might want to sell it, don't need a heavy multicopter.
Oct 30, 2013, 03:59 PM
Yep, Naza-controlled Tricopter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
Connect your MP to your frame. Go to the Flight Data tab and watch the AHI. Try to arm the motors. If an 'arming precheck' parameter is not satisfied it will show ....
Thanks, Van. Nope, it won't even try an arming pre-check because the problem starts before that. The ESCs are beeping non-stop because they are getting bad info from the output ports.

I believe this is a hardware issue. My APM is an early version from 3DR last year, and I've had issues in the past with the motor outputs coming out the wrong port with some versions of the Quad firmware. I've been able to solve them using test>motors, but this time there are no valid motor outputs coming out anywhere. Maybe I'll give up and get a new board from a different supplier.
Oct 30, 2013, 04:06 PM
Rick / Phobotic/Famous Dealer
Scalefan: Throttle stick down and to the right to arm, down and to the left to disarm.

Make sure to wait 5 mins after plugging in the battery for the GPS and accelerometers to stabilize :-)
Oct 30, 2013, 04:22 PM
Is the FC able to run a roll only gimbal on a quad?

I never use the simple modes. I know there have been issues, but I only heard of it with hex/octos.

Quick Reply