Feb 21, 2004, 01:21 AM
The ProCreator
Thread OP

Epp Bugatti R-100 Racer

Just finished adding pannel lines to this blue beauty. She weighs in at 62 ounces giving her a wing loading of 18.7 oz per sq ft. She tracks like she's on rails. I flew her last Friday on temple hill in about 8mph winds and it is with out a doubt the best flying epp ship I have ever flown.

The wing has a 1/2 x 3/4 bass wood/carbon laminated main spar with an additional four lengths of solid carbon fiber rod. The tail is laminated coroplast. There is no strapping tape at all. With four solid carbon rods in the fuse she's pretty stout. Wrapped in blue solartex and sporting carbon bagged ailerons, this baby shines!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 21, 2004, 01:22 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Awesome. I love that plane, and you've done a killer job of building and detailing it. I'm glad to hear that it flies well!

Hope that rudder holds up to landings...I'm sure you've reinforced it. Not a functional rudder by chance, is it? That would be fun

Steve
Feb 21, 2004, 01:25 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
Looks like a warbird to me !!!

That is so cool R.

Steve
Feb 21, 2004, 01:26 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
What did you use for your panel lines?

steve
Feb 21, 2004, 01:27 AM
Mr Jiggy Fly
Suh-Weet!!! Now that is one hot looking ship!!! Im guessing you scratched it? Too bad you didnt do a build thread on it.

Jay
Feb 21, 2004, 01:33 AM
The ProCreator
Thread OP
If you have ever seen a "profile" airplane, that is essentially what the rudder is. The rudder's "root" takes up the entire height of the fuse and stops about 1 inch after passing the wing's TE. Since the bugatti does not stall, she comes in rather hot, but still very manageable. With this in mind, I indeed had to make a very sturdy rudder. There is no need for it to be functionable.
Feb 21, 2004, 01:43 AM
The ProCreator
Thread OP
The panel lines were done with a pilot extra fine silver marker. A bit if weathering was added by spraying a paper towel with WD-40 and giving it a light wipe. Gives a it great "airbrushed look."
Feb 21, 2004, 02:18 AM
CaliforniaSailplanes.com
R. I have seen the real plane at the EAA museum in Oshkosh, it is cool.

Now here is the "real" news. This can fly in the warbird slope races. There was a military version planned, so I believe that qualifies it.

Quoting the rules:"Warbird means: any military aircraft past or present or any military concept aircraft past or present."

I translated the info from this page:

http://users.hrnet.fr/~morlock/bugatti.htm

According to the Album of the Fanatic of Aviation n7 January 1970:
At the end of 1939: The Ministry for the Air requires of Bugatti a military version, the 110P of hunting. The aerofoil is more significant on the military version. The armament envisaged is a gun of 37 mm in the axis of the propeller and 3 machine-guns in each wing (information of M.Jean Sibille). The order relates to 2 planes, 2 engines of replacement, and 1 complete mechanism of transmission. The price of the contract is 6 900 000 francs. A premium of 1 800 000 francs will be granted if a plane beats the record of the world speed on basis (709 km/h or 803 km/h) and that speed on 100 kilometers (634 km/h).

Second quote:

"Bugatti 110P: military project of drift of the 100P. would have been ordered into 1 or 2 specimens by the French Army. Unknown characteristics. According to certain sources, it would have had smaller wings, but these sources undoubtedly confuse with the plane of record (101P?). According to other sources', it would have had on the contrary the increased wings; it is much more probable for a military alternative, armed with a gun and 6 machine-guns. ."

Steve
Last edited by stegre; Feb 21, 2004 at 02:31 AM.
Feb 21, 2004, 02:30 AM
The ProCreator
Thread OP
I also read that it was indeed planned to be a fighter.

http://main.1ie.com/1ie/rare_exotic/bugatti.htm

Bugatti Aircraft: the 100P/110P

In 1938 Bugatti set up a special design office in the rue de Debarcadere in Paris, to design and build an airplane. It was to be a high-speed fighter, but the first aim was to enter in the Coupe Deutsch, a special race for planes.

Anyway, Brian was nice enough to insist that I fly it in the race. I am also nearly done with my 60" He P.1067 that I was going to fly in its place. Now since the race has been postponed, I'll have a chance to finish'er up and have a nice stand by. Stay tuned for a peek at that beast!
Feb 21, 2004, 03:49 AM
Artsloper,
That is one sweet looking aircraft you built, Is that a kit? if so from who?. I might have to get me one of them.

Tony
Feb 21, 2004, 04:02 AM
plane obsessed
Star Wars meet slope racing. I would love to see a vid of it flying!

Cody
Feb 21, 2004, 10:53 AM
I also am working on a Bugatti and being a history buff I have read a great deal about this plane. The Military end of the deal hinged on it winning the race. It never flew so it was never a military concept plane only a civilian racer. In short, it is not a warbird.

Rich
Feb 21, 2004, 11:38 AM
Moderatee buncha places
Looks great Ralph, welcome to RCgroups as well!

tawg
Feb 21, 2004, 12:12 PM
The ProCreator
Thread OP
Rich,

The reason Steve and I are emphasising the militaty background is in order to justify its place in the ISR Warbird Race. The rules state that it must fill one of three criteria.

1. Any military aircraft past or present.
2. Any military concept aircraft past or present.
3. Allowance by the CD.

Now Concept is defined as Something formed in the mind; a thought or notion, or a general idea derived or inferred from specific instances or occurrences.

Searching through the Buggatti archives I have found information that a millitary concept was actually part of the Bugatti's plan.

1. Bugatti 110P: military project of drift of the 100P. would have been ordered into 1 or 2 specimens by the French Army.

2.While construction proceeded, the threat of a coming war increased. France was behind the times in aircraft design and was seeking everywhere for modern warplanes. Consequently, Bugatti received a contract for a light pursuit version of the wooden structure racer, designated 110P, which would be equipped with two guns, ammunition, oxygen and self-sealing fuel tanks.

3. Bugatti 110P
This fighter design was derived from the 100P racer, which was built but never flown. The 100P itself was a sleek, very unusual aircraft, with two engines in tandem behind the cockpit, driving contra-rotating two-bladed propellers. The 110P was never built.

Although the CD has allowed entrance of this plane in the upcoming race, it is interesting to learn that in fact there was a military concept of this design in the works under the name 110P therefore it does meet the official qualifications of the EPP warbird race.

Whew!
Feb 21, 2004, 12:34 PM
No fuse too fat
WOW! What a great looking plane. Then again, I wouldn't have expected anything less from you, Ralph. Looks very scale. Most excellent!!

BTW, welcome to RCGroups!

Russ.

Quick Reply