Turnigy 9XR Pro, new open source radio - Page 361 - RC Groups
Nov 10, 2017, 09:59 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfcgt
Can I take the eeprom file and restore it to anorther 9xrPro, with r221?
If they have the same hardware configuration, like the same number of pots, switches, etc, then yes.
But you will have to calibrate sticks and pots on the radio you've just copied it to.
The calibration settings saved on the eeprom are from the radio that supplied the eeprom..

Joćo
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 10:30 AM
treefinder
I happen to have the TGY tx lipo with "protective circuit". I haven't tried charging it with the 12 v connector. Like Joćo, i figured it had no balancing circuitry, i typically recharge it once a month by connecting up my little 850mah charger to the balance connector and trickle juice into it while i am working on planes. I fly several times a week, and easily get a month out of it.

Considering how long the pack lasts i could charge through the port and every other month do the balance charge, i suppose. But i have the balance charge habit now
Interestingly the only one i know who had a catastrophic fire was charging nimh batts, left to go to store, and came back to find his house in flames. I have wondered if something else was going on there as i've never heard of another nimh battery fire.
Nov 10, 2017, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
I have wondered if something else was going on there as i've never heard of another nimh battery fire.
Me neither. As far as I know they just "Vent" (is this the right expression?) if REALLY overcharged..
But still they are much less likely to catch fire than lithium batteries.
Well, me being curious about it I have just searched about the subject. What I found is that they can catch fire but you will really have to mess with them, like shorting a full battery or opening it. As you can see on one of the videos one of the batteries caught fire, but because it was fully charged and then they have shorted it. Perhaps it was what happened on the case you mentioned above

Joćo

5100 MAh NiMh Akku in Flammen. 5100 MAh NiMh battery in flames (4 min 24 sec)

Overcharging an old NiMh battery pack (2 min 30 sec)
Nov 10, 2017, 05:27 PM
treefinder
I suppose, as I recall there wasn't much left to analyze. Could have been the charger itself, depending on which type he had. Might have been one of those fancy ones that charges all types. I have steered away from chargers with too many capabilities, as I have other friends who inadvertently set the wrong settings and nearly toasted packs. My lipo chargers are all simple ones with switches for amp draw ( and max of 2 or 4 amps), and LEDs for charge state - hard to mess up.

I suppose the takeaway is that all batteries have some risk, and the more powerful have more risk. Like a chain saw, table saw, etc, they are useful tools but must be respected for what they can do and what damage they can cause and treated accordingly.
Nov 10, 2017, 06:37 PM
Yes, all must be respected, but LiPos are special on their own

Yes some chargers are dangerous and it is very easy to cause a disaster if we are not paying attention to what we are doing. I have a couple of those Imax B6. For example you connect a 2s Lipo battery and select 3s on the charger and then press start. The charger will warn you that the cell count is incorrect. But if you insist and press start again, it will actually start charging the battery with the incorrect settings. I have tested this on these chargers, and it really happens. It could also explain why my club mate nearly burnt his house down.
I have another charger that I have bought from HK recently that it doesn't start charging if the setting is incorrect, and it actually beeps like hell. We must be really careful with these things.. LiPos are dangerous whether they are 1C or 30C. NiMhs can also be dangerous, but they will take way more abuse before they catch fire..

Joćo