Turnigy 9XR Pro, new open source radio - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 30, 2013, 05:45 PM
Brent, I love your design philosophy. Just sayin'.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to these.

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Nov 01, 2013, 05:32 AM
I might buy whichever one gets to market first (not including waiting lists).

But I'll probably be leaning towards the 9xr pro if it's alot cheaper.
Last edited by RC Aerobat; Nov 01, 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Nov 10, 2013, 08:58 PM
@Brent, Great to hear the sky9x will live again!

What kind of power supply setup will there be? I'm interested specs on both 3.3 and 5V will available for extra devices, sensors, components etc?

What kind of extra ports and pins will be available from the original sky9x design?

I gather there will no co-processor setup?

Thanks.

Robert...
Nov 11, 2013, 01:46 PM
It uses a 5V ,1.5A switching main regulator , which supplies power to the 3.3V 1A Linear regulator.
There is no co-processor , it was replaced with a dedicated RTC chip
There is also a switched battery connection on the Futaba port , for powering external accessories , the port can also be easily hacked to provide a telemetry
connection for older FRsky RF modules.

The Pro , is a Sky9x re-designed to fit in the 9XR, There are spots for a I2C connection , rotary encoder , Haptic , Bluetooth Com port , 1 wire Com port, and a couple of spare control inputs.

The biggest problem was shoehorning it all to fit in the limited space inside the 9XR , and have spots and room for the connections.

-Brent
Nov 12, 2013, 02:48 AM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNorth
It uses a 5V ,1.5A switching main regulator , which supplies power to the 3.3V 1A Linear regulator.
This feature will eliminate at least 100 pages of comments based on the 9x thread!
Nov 12, 2013, 07:40 PM
chicken nuggets
Count me in on one of these! Closest I will get to a V3 Sky9X board!
Only downside I can envisage is a lack of sliders.
Nov 13, 2013, 07:27 AM
Did they ever come out with the modules they talked about that use the internal antenna? I've been out of the loop for a while. Had a 9xr and it was junk, had to return it. Now one of my 9x radios has faulty buttons. May just have to abandon open source and stick with Spektrum. All my Turnigy radio birds are grounded.
Nov 13, 2013, 08:05 AM
You can buy a new push button switch at Digikey for about $0.25

My Guess on why there is no RF modules using the internal antenna:

Supplying a RF module without a antenna , is the problem....The FCC cannot approve a
RF module without a antenna , this would mean the Radio would need approval (for the antenna) as well.

-Brent
Nov 13, 2013, 09:37 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNorth
My Guess on why there is no RF modules using the internal antenna:

Supplying a RF module without an antenna is the problem....The FCC cannot approve a RF module without a antenna, this would mean the Radio would need approval (for the antenna) as well.

-Brent
Probably true, but I don't think the existing module is FCC, CE or anything else(!) checked is it?

This was debated extensively when the Orange module first came out, and from memory the consensus was that since HK supply modules only from the International warehouse they do not need to have them FCC or CE marked; the onus is on the importer (i.e. the purchaser in this case) to ensure it is legal for use in their country. If something goes wrong it's therefore all down to you - we can't be sure without an incident occuring, but there has to be at least a possibility your insurance would be invalidated by this. I certainly won't be ordering one of these anytime soon...
Nov 13, 2013, 09:41 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
Probably true, but I don't think the existing module is FCC, CE or anything else(!) checked is it? This was debated extensively when the Orange module first came out, and I think the consensus was that since HK supply modules only from the International warehouse they do not need to have them FCC or CE marked
The Orange 2.4 module is CE approved. For what that's worth.
Nov 15, 2013, 12:23 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc
The Orange 2.4 module is CE approved. For what that's worth.
It may have a CE sticker, but without a certificate of conformity that's just two letters on the side...

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=724
Last edited by MattyB; Nov 15, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Nov 15, 2013, 06:05 PM
cpo
cpo
Mis-fired before...but here is the next video...

Turnigy 9XR and OpenTX (Companion9x) : Part Two

Here's what's covered in this video:

It's easy to accidentally change settings in the TX!
The Orange DSM2/DSMX JR Module
How not to bind to a Spektrum RX!
A bit about channel assignments...
Channel assignment fix attempt number one.
Channel assignment fix attempt number two.
More rambling about channel assignments...
How to properly bind to the Spektrum RX
(lame) Apple vs Android comparison?

Turnigy 9XR and OpenTX (Companion9x) : Part Two (14 min 14 sec)

Quote:
This is a journey. It's my journey. However, I learn much from other people's experiences and I know that others can learn from mine. This is a log of sorts, or a vlog, of my progress in learning to set up, use, and modify my new Turnigy 9XR transmitter. I am taking you along as I turn it on for the first time, install the battery, flash new firmware using companion9x on my Mac, calibrate the sticks and pots, calibrate the battery voltage...and eventually...even more. It's a newbie perspective, because this is the first time I have ever done this.

There are several types of instruction videos. Most tend to be carefully scripted or edited "best case scenario" moments. The instruction is correct, and helpful, but sometimes leaves us lost if things don't work just right in our world. The format presented in this video is the raw (but of course edited for your sanity) process I used to get up and running with this new piece of hardware. It's not meant to take the place of the other great how-to videos on this topic...and in fact spans many of those topics in a few minutes. I didn't go into a lot of extra time to show how to do something that exists in other great videos already.

When I run into a problem, I'll show you what it was, and how I got around it. That way, if the same thing happens to you, you may gain some ideas on how to proceed. I have several problem-solving moments in this video, and I am certain to have many more in future videos.

So that's it. Next will be using the Orange DSM2 module to connect to my existing Spektrum receivers. I'll share my observations and the things I learn along the way.

As always, if you have any feedback or helpful additions, it is most appreciated!

cpo
Last edited by cpo; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Nov 15, 2013, 06:42 PM
"Turnigy 9XR and OpenTX (Companion9x) : Part Two"

Thanks again. I'm still with you and learning.
Nov 15, 2013, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpo
Mis-fired before...but here is the next video...

Turnigy 9XR and OpenTX (Companion9x) : Part Two

Here's what's covered in this video:

It's easy to accidentally change settings in the TX!
The Orange DSM2/DSMX JR Module
How not to bind to a Spektrum RX!
A bit about channel assignments...
Channel assignment fix attempt number one.
Channel assignment fix attempt number two.
More rambling about channel assignments...
How to properly bind to the Spektrum RX
(lame) Apple vs Android comparison?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRNkx-GrLOc
I think this should be posted at 9XR thread not this 9XR-Pro thread.
Nov 16, 2013, 06:28 AM
cpo
cpo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybabo
I think this should be posted at 9XR thread not this 9XR-Pro thread.
Duh! Thanks! Yep..my bad.