Turnigy 9XR Pro, new open source radio - Page 2 - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2013, 08:18 AM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
What about it? My 9XR works perfectly and has done for nearly a year. And you'll notice that the case molding issue was very short lived.
One thing that deserves to be fixed is the poor pot quality control. It's easy enough to rectify (both for the end user as well as for the factory). It just lets a great radio down somewhat.

Other than that based on my experiences with the 9XR I'm already in line for the Pro whenever it becomes available. *Especially* if it utilizes the same casing and mechanicals, as opposed to introducing a new uncertainty through new hardware.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2013, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Aerobat
Does anyone know if the trim sticking issue with the 9x has been fixed with the newer ones or not?
My buttons, trims and sticks have been fine. I fact I ordered it with two spare stick assemblies and it's been faultless. I'm using a DJT module with D8R and X8r receivers on small electrics to large gas engines. It beeps when I am getting near its range limit and the Companion 9X software is fantastic. I bought it because a pot went tight on my 2 year old, well used 9x. Both transmitters are excellent and neither ever let me down.

I had a Taranis for a short time until the display failed and I sent it back. It felt a little better than the 9XR and the Taranis shows telemetry on screen (WHY didn't Turnigy wire up the 9XR to do that?). Other than that, little improvement IMO and I didn't feel the need to replace it.

I would be interested in the 9XR Pro however - especially if it displays telemetry alt, RSSI, distance, on screen.
Oct 23, 2013, 02:23 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjc
I would be interested in the 9XR Pro however - especially if it displays telemetry alt, RSSI, distance, on screen.
When I got my 9XR I thought so as well. After having used it with the FLD-02 for a while now I'm on the fence. The high-mounted FLD is much easier to glance at while flying. I'd love a better way of mounting it than sticking it onto the handle with velcro though.

What I'm REALLY missing is voice output. I don't want to be looking at the display, I want the radio to tell me what I need to know while keeping my eyes on the model.

So for me, voice-out is the real killer feature of the 9XR Pro.
Oct 23, 2013, 04:49 PM
Yes that would be nice; all those beeps get very confusing. You don't know if you are getting too far away or your battery is low. And you kind of get used to that voice on the Taranis...

I've got a Fieyu-Tech DOS stabiliser and Hornet OSD showing on a seven inch screen mounted to the 9XR so best of everything really - except I do miss that voice.
Oct 23, 2013, 07:52 PM
The haptic output is nice as well , for example , you can have it vibrate when you hit zero trim on the sticks.
The electronics in the Pro , are more advanced than the Taranis , as they are based on the Sky9x design, The Opentx software was running on the Sky9x long before the Taranis showed up.....they have some catching up to do as far as features , and user add ons.
The 9XR Pro was designed for user modifications , the Taranis was not.
- Brent
Oct 24, 2013, 02:54 AM
60 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNorth
The haptic output is nice as well , for example , you can have it vibrate when you hit zero trim on the sticks.
The electronics in the Pro , are more advanced than the Taranis , as they are based on the Sky9x design, The Opentx software was running on the Sky9x long before the Taranis showed up.....they have some catching up to do as far as features , and user add ons.
- Brent
I'm looking forward to making the comparison.
Oct 25, 2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
- Brent
Spent the last month with the dilema 9XR or Taranis..... Now looks like im waiting on the 9XR Pro... Are you directly involved in the design Brent... is this a straight sky9x port or a "next evolution" ?
Last edited by JamesFlyer007; Oct 25, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Oct 25, 2013, 08:48 AM
Yes , I designed the new boards for the Pro . It is has very similar features to the Sky9x , and is about 95% code compatible.
But things like the second LCD connector and co-processor were not needed.
It also uses a larger memory ARM chip , so there is lots of room for more code additions.

The design and beta testing are done , so its out of my hands and back in HKs.
I cant speak for when they will be available , They are hoping for December , from what I know.
-Brent
Oct 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
I wonder if I will be able to get my hands on a 9xR before a Taranis - I love having a wide selection of great components...
Oct 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah it will be interesting to see which one is available generally first.
Oct 25, 2013, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Yes , I designed the new boards for the Pro . It is has very similar features to the Sky9x , and is about 95% code compatible.
But things like the second LCD connector and co-processor were not needed.
It also uses a larger memory ARM chip , so there is lots of room for more code additions.

The design and beta testing are done , so its out of my hands and back in HKs.
I cant speak for when they will be available , They are hoping for December , from what I know.
-Brent
Do you know if HK is packaging this strictly as a new radio? Or will the boards be available to swap out the guts of an existing 9XR?

I'm guessing I already know the sensible answer to this (Answer: no) since there's so much additional functionality that the 9XR hardware isn't set up for. But I'm not ready to relegate my 9XR to a buddy box.

Looking forward to the release of this!

Tom
Oct 26, 2013, 08:43 AM
I think that after the release of the Pro , the boards will be available as spare parts.
Just like they did for the 9XR. (A few months after the Radio was released)

They want the radio to be open to hacking and user mods, and my design gives you access to all the spare I/O , like the I2C , and the Blue Tooth serial port , as well as a spare A/D , and D/A , There is also spare serial port , with RS232 and logic level inputs.

it will interesting to see what people will come up with , with the power of the new platform.

-Brent
Oct 27, 2013, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Yes , I designed the new boards for the Pro
-Brent
Well thats good enough for me sign me up i want one ... the Taranis lol
Oct 30, 2013, 11:10 AM
Quote:
They want the radio to be open to hacking and user mods, and my design gives you access to all the spare I/O , like the I2C , and the Blue Tooth serial port.
Does this mean the radio can potentially send telemetry or other information to a smartphone via BT?
Oct 30, 2013, 12:00 PM
Yes , the Radio re-sends the telemetry data out the Bluetooth port.
So a Android dashboard program can be used to receive it.

-Brent