Turnigy 9XR Pro, new open source radio - Page 11 - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2014, 09:32 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
And a Stephen Hawking voice. Im tired of all the Tarani saying 'Welcome to Taranis' in the same voice everywhere, whenever they are switched on.
Not mine
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2014, 09:59 PM
I would be willing to test one out in the comfort of my living room. Well that seems easy enough you say.

Try it with your GF sitting there...were talkin stress man...major stress.

That would be a real test!

The heat of Mercury...the cold of Pluto...Ha I say, thats a cake walk!
Feb 12, 2014, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNorth
There are 2 in California , 2 in Canada , 2 in England , 1 in Germany , 1 in Australia
1 in France , 1 in Italy and 2000 in China.
I'm betting BC and Toronto, wouldn't want to expose them to any REAL cold
Feb 13, 2014, 10:15 AM
Ersky9x Developer
I missed this thread as well!
I've been doing a lot of work on the firmware. The 9XR-PRO will ship with ersky9x.
The only real differencies in the hardware from the original SKY boards are the PRO has a specific real time clock instead of the co-processor, and a larger memory processor.

This is a list of the major changes I've done since the beginning of this year!
Add Flight Mode control of mixes
Add Flight Mode fading
Add Flight Mode names
Add "maintenance mode" - allows updating of the bootloader.
Handle DSMX module channel count better
Fix spurious switch warning when button pressed on splash screen
Code for a DSM module on the 9XR-PRO, with telemetry, including new telemetry screen
Display USB on 9XR-PRO when flashing
Sync. volume changes to voice output
Change to the way curves and expo are drawn
Change to the way curves are displayed and edited
Allow option to reverse any stick (in case replacement sticks are wrong)
Add ability to use a switch to set the switch to be used when editing
LCD plotting options
Add 'sticky' throttle safety switch
Add Hdg (heading) to GPS display
Language support
Addition of "bootloader"

All these are in the 'standard' ersky9x as well as the PRO version. Many of them are also in (or will be when I get a new revision released) er9x for the 9X and 9XR.
In passing, ersky9x is also available to run on the Taranis, although it needs a few updates. At present it only uses the internal module.

I have got development versions of a new DSM module that uses the internal aerial and supports telemetry. I have no idea if/when this will be available.

The bootloader means you won't need to install any device dirvers to read/update the firmware and EEPROM. Everything appears as a disk drive (or two) on the computer. The bootloader also runs on the Taranis hardware. I've passed it to the openTx team and it should appear in openTx on the Taranis soon.
There is a version of eepe (called eepskye) that supports SKY boards and uses the bootloader. It gets installed in the same directory as eepe when you install eepe.

There are 32 model memories. It is planned to add a facility to allow these to be saved to the SD card to allow almost unlimited model memories. Not wishing to upset the tested firmware this won't be in the initial release version. Much testing has taken place and quite a few minor bugs sorted, nothing that caused any problems with controlling a model, just little things.

At present, the firmware occupies just 160K of the available 512K (256K on a SKY board) so there is plenty of space for more functionality.

Mike.
Feb 13, 2014, 01:22 PM
@ Mike Blandford;27495671

Thanks Mike, very informative, and it's a releif that this thread might have finally moved on from weather and temperature discussions.
Feb 13, 2014, 01:47 PM
Mike I've just purchased a 9xr and will be upgrading to the pro when the boards get released however am I better sticking with stock firmware or flashing er9x or opentx? What will be the easiest to migrate model memory too the pro.

Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm just taking the plunge into open firmware world
Feb 13, 2014, 04:21 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFlyer007
Mike I've just purchased a 9xr and will be upgrading to the pro when the boards get released however am I better sticking with stock firmware or flashing er9x or opentx? What will be the easiest to migrate model memory too the pro.

Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm just taking the plunge into open firmware world
The 9XR ships with er9x. HK modified 1 screen for their own branch of it. You can reflash to standard er9X and as Mike mentions, there will be an upgrade to it soon, with the Pro work added. So yes you should reflash to a newer version of er9X, at least thats what I will do on my 2nd 9XR when it arives in a few days.

My first 9XR is on OpenTx but I asume that wont initially work on the Pro till the OpenTx developers can update it. Please correct me if Im wrong on this!
Feb 13, 2014, 05:14 PM
Ersky9x Developer
Well worth upgrading to the latest er9x. Due to HK "locking" the EEPROM and flash, you cannot save your models from the 9XR as it ships. If you update, then eepe will be able to read the EEPROM and so save your models. I can't promise anything, but, if I get time, I might be able to add a er9x to ersky9x translation for models to make the transisition easier.

I'm not sure where openTx is for the PRO, it is planned I understand.

Mike.
Feb 13, 2014, 05:33 PM
There is a version of OpenTx for the Pro ready to go , I have been told.
Feb 13, 2014, 06:43 PM
Great guys thanks for that.

Mike, Brent. I've spent the last 2 weeks since I ordered my 9xr trying to find a good comparison between the two and apart from eepe and companion I don't see much difference, I'm sure you'll say it's personal preference but as a noob what way do I go. Er9x or opentx. Is there pros cons or limitations I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance
Feb 14, 2014, 04:30 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
Try both. Then decide which one you feel more comfortable with.
Feb 14, 2014, 04:53 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
I now have 2 9XR's 1 with OpenTx for my gliders using orangeRx module. I like the flight phases in OpenTx. The 2nd arrived today and now has latest er9x with frsky XJT module. er9X supports PXX allowing model match etc whereas OpenTx (9XR version) doesnt seem to support PXX. Both firmware are great.
Feb 14, 2014, 05:09 AM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
The 9XR PRO with ersky9x also supports flight phases. Er9x also supports them but I think mike wanted to improve it.
Feb 14, 2014, 05:11 AM
Ersky9x Developer
er9x supports flight modes(phases). I still need to release the latest revision, but I have added mix control from flight modes and also fading between modes.

Mike.
Feb 15, 2014, 04:08 PM
Mark Harrison
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFlyer007
Great guys thanks for that.

Mike, Brent. I've spent the last 2 weeks since I ordered my 9xr trying to find a good comparison between the two and apart from eepe and companion I don't see much difference, I'm sure you'll say it's personal preference but as a noob what way do I go. Er9x or opentx. Is there pros cons or limitations I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance
The good news is that both are great and you won't make a bad choice. They're quite compatible in all the key concepts (e.g. the "everything is a mix" philosophy).

I switched to opentx because I got a Taranis and it seemed a bit easier to keep the two radios in sync by switching.