Abc hobby northwind 36-600 ???? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 17, 2013, 01:45 PM
Resistance is futile
Discussion

Abc hobby northwind 36-600 ????

Hi guys. I am new to sailboats. I am going to be acquiring a Northwind 36-600 kit very soon. I know it is very old and discontinued. I also know that parts are hard to find for it. My questions are these:

Is this a good beginners boat?
Are there any mods or upgrades I should consider before assembling her?
What would you value an unstarted kit of this nature at?

I am just looking for something to use in my local pond for fun, not for competition. I want to learn the basics of sailing so I can design and build a sailing vessel of my own. Will this be a good boat for this purpose?

Latest blog entry: Finally got a SOLING 1 meter
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2013, 07:30 PM
Resistance is futile
OK. 46 views and not even ONE comment? Whats up people? I feel abandonded here. LOL I would appreciate some input...anybody?

Oct 17, 2013, 07:57 PM
I'll reply just so you dont feel alone....

:lol:

Srsly, I'm new myself, so I'm no good for advice.
Oct 17, 2013, 11:30 PM
Resistance is futile
Thanks FishBucket. I get all kinds of help in scale boats, Dock talk, and vintage sections, but this forum seems to be void of any advise givers.
I got the boat today. Seems it was built at one time and taken apart and stored. The original builder wasn't too careful about using excess glue or proper part alignment. I went through the box of stuff I got and found that most of it is there. The person who originally started the build did a really bad job of it. I spent a good hour just cleaning as many parts as I could. I wanted to get a good look at what needs to be done. I think I'll have to basically start at square one and re-do it all.

My first sailboat, and I could really use advice from any veteran sailors to tell me if I have something worth putting time in to. Oh well...I'm a patient guy. I'll just wait for it and muddle along the best I can.
Last edited by circuitfxr; Oct 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM.
Oct 18, 2013, 01:18 AM
Useful Idiot
We'd like to help but I guess there can't be too many Northwind owners out there. A couple of suggestions though: enter "Northwind" in the search function, as I'm sure there have been threads about the boat https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sear...uery=Northwind and you could also ask specific questions as they arise as part of a thread about refurbishing the boat. Post some piccies as well and you might get lucky.
Oct 18, 2013, 01:40 AM
Resistance is futile
Thanks Martin. I'll try that. Just thought there might be some others who still sail this boat.
Oct 19, 2013, 11:56 PM
Taking care of the pond.
I have a Northwind 28, not a bad little boat.
Oct 20, 2013, 07:10 AM
Circuitxr, The club in Daytona sail that class if you want to check them out
http://www.orgsites.com/fl/sdmyc/
Oct 20, 2013, 07:46 AM
Norman2
Hi, Attached photos of my highly modified Northwind 36/600. Modifications are:
Reconfigured the shape of the bow.
Carbon Fiber mast and booms
Spectra Rigging
Custom Sail arm
Vision Sails racing sails.

The boat is very fast and a real pleasure to sail. Only parts I used were the hull,
rudder, keel and bulb. I would not sell it for anything. Good Luck and regards
Norman
Oct 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
Resistance is futile
Thanks everyone. The club in Daytona is a bit far from me, but I will check with them for ideas and possible parts availability. I'm glad I have something that is workable.
Oct 21, 2013, 09:56 AM
I've got a couple northwind 36's, but have since moved on to a victoria and seawind(more popular classes for racing around here).

The weak points on the northwind 36 are:

Booms are cheap, weak, brittle plastic, and will break. replace them with carbon or alum.

Hatch cover attachment method is horrible. I cut three pieces of angled plastic, and screwed them through the deck. I place the hatch on, and give those three pieces a 1/4 turn to hold the hatch in place.

I ditched the radio tray. I would use pvc glue to take two small pieces of pvc pipe to glue the sail servo to the bottom of the hull. use a similar mount for the rudder servo.

Stock servo will not work in any wind over 5-10. Use a higher torque servo (hitec 765 works great)

Sails arent the best in the world. I made some out of mylar sheet, and they really helped the boat handle, but it will not keep up with a seawind.

Stock mast is extremely heavy, but it is two piece.

Since you will be sailing in florida, you need to be concerned about weeds hanging on the large fin keel.

Since you live in wildwood, you should check out the Model Yacht Club at The Villages. They race ec12s, solings, footys, and maybe a couple other classes. They will have a lot more knowledge, maybe some used boats, as well as a group to hang out with and learn.
Oct 21, 2013, 03:09 PM
Resistance is futile
Thanks for all the great tips Steve. I have already been in contact with the club in the Villages. They have a rule that you can only become a member if you live in "The Villages". I do not. I may be able to get some good advise from the guys there, but they won't let me sail with them.
Oct 21, 2013, 03:13 PM
Resistance is futile
The Northwind I got did not come with the stand. I am making my own stand from foam board construction. I am using a guitar strap from a guitar hero guitar for the sling straps. I will be starting a new thread with the refurbishing and stand build. There will be photos added there.
Oct 22, 2013, 11:20 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways

Rebuild

Ahoy mate ! I'm sorry I haven't asked to come aboard yet, !I am ,! she is still a sleek n sexy lined vessel..!..I hope your "RE"build bodes well for you. Glad to see you r starting to get some answers /support here...Tim..aka....H.X.
Oct 22, 2013, 11:59 PM
Resistance is futile
To see the latest Tim, you'll have to check my rebuild thread.