How To Solve Motors Overheating Problems - new pictures ! - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 16, 2013, 03:46 AM
Discussion

How To Solve Motors Overheating Problems - new pictures !

Hi, I would like to start discussion about this very well known problem. I am quite new to this hobby but I have already noticed that standard brushed motors are very fragile parts of out toys.

I would like to encourage people to come here and talk about how did they deal with this problem. I do not mean talking about replacement to brushless. What I would like is to hear or see is your ideas how you dealt with cooling down normal standard brushed motor. Anything that helped prolong motor life significantly.

Also please post settings to the TX if that improved motor life.

I have had mine Super CP only for a while but I already burned two motors in short period time. I hear from people here that they made some kind of heat coil from aluminium wire that helped a lot but I still can not visualize how to make that thing. Any pictures would be appreciated.

I tried to do some research on this and found nothing on internet. So lets make thread about this for anyone like me who does not want to be replacing motor every week. Please post pictures of your ideas and improvements and tell us what difference this made for you.

I hope this will be helpful for many but please admins feel free to remove this thread if you think its just waste of time and space on server
Last edited by jamichx; Oct 18, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2013, 04:23 AM
How high does it go?..duh
1) Meshing: Check there isnt anything wrong with the meshing of the gears (motor to main etc) or stuff (hairs etc) tangled around shafts, there needs to be a tiny bit of slop between the gears, if the meshing is too tight then this makes friction that cooks the motor.

2) Heat sink: Adding an aftermarket or home made heat sink will cool the motor faster.

3) Dont just hover: Hovering on the spot will heat up motors far faster than flying about. If your just hovering, then stop and feel the motor every so often, if its getting very hot, give it a rest untill it cools down.

4)Brushless: If you can, upgrade the motor to brushless, the correct motor and pinion choice can give you a very cool running motor, which will last for years.

Hope that helps a bit, have fun
Oct 16, 2013, 04:51 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Here's a vid showing a lightweight DiY heat sink you can make with self adhesive alu tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3DJQ9HR3gQo
Oct 16, 2013, 07:13 AM
Great stuff , thanks guys

please keep those ideas coming

Video looks interesting what a shame I can not see it properly. could you use just normal aluminium foil with some adhesive I wander ?
Oct 16, 2013, 08:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Try a different motor. This has been a common complaint with Walkera products for years. The Genius CP motor seems to last longer than the others. The problem is the copper strips they use for brushes lose tension and arc very quickly. Arcing creates more heat and accelerates the process. Heat sinks don't stop it.

Your best bet is wait 5 minutes between batteries and don't just hover.
Oct 16, 2013, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
Try a different motor. This has been a common complaint with Walkera products for years. The Genius CP motor seems to last longer than the others. The problem is the copper strips they use for brushes lose tension and arc very quickly. Arcing creates more heat and accelerates the process. Heat sinks don't stop it.

Your best bet is wait 5 minutes between batteries and don't just hover.
I have now Genius CP motor so will see. I also made some heat sink pictures attached. It looks like it cools down very quickly and it does not get that hot.

I do wait at least 5 minutes before flights now.

I will report back once this motor is gone hope this wont be that soon.
Last edited by jamichx; Oct 16, 2013 at 10:34 AM.
Oct 16, 2013, 09:14 PM
Coil I make for Genius goes all away around motor. not stuck on one side. lets motor cool all over. It looks like a spring over 2/3 of motor. But if it works thats fine. My Super f/p has different motor with two sets of leads coming out. coil will not fit this heli, unless took extra time with it. I think it ues same motor as Mini c/p. My mini is bl and this same kind of motor was in box. I don't know if Super c/p has same motor or one like Genius c/p. Picture shown looks like genius c/p motor.
Oct 18, 2013, 03:49 AM
Made some new heating coils

That coil ( 1.5 g ) and little opening changed everything. That motor wont even get hot now. WoW

I suggest guys if you want good cooling do this and you gonna be very happy like I am
Last edited by jamichx; Oct 18, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Oct 18, 2013, 10:49 AM
Thats what I was taking about. Mine has little thicker al. wire but doesn't go up as high. works very well. even better get Genius c/p main gear. Hope it all works out for you. Your welcome for idea of heat coil .
Oct 18, 2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04
Thats what I was taking about. Mine has little thicker al. wire but doesn't go up as high. works very well. even better get Genius c/p main gear. Hope it all works out for you. Your welcome for idea of heat coil .
Thanks for that it really made big difference

Why walkera guys did not come up with that ? I guess they need to make money on motors
Oct 19, 2013, 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamichx
Thanks for that it really made big difference

Why walkera guys did not come up with that ? I guess they need to make money on motors
Yes I had at least another minute + to each flight using heat coils. Makers kill us with cost of parts. Little motor is $10.00-$12.00 each. Save old motor as pinion gear fits C05M brushless motor if you ever go to Brushless. I use lighter to hear gear and easy to pop off old motor. 9T. Heat coil say 50 fights and thats anoither hour of airtime on same bird.. Not bad at all.
I seen pictures of guy who flew this alot and burned frame to motor mount. He melted the frame by getting motor so hot.

Quick Reply