Oct 15, 2013, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Building from plans...

Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a while. I need a method to transfer patterns from
plans in order to make parts.

The models are the Firefly from FM 12-10 and a Powerhouse from FM 9-03.

Shy of ordering more copies to cut up, any ideas?

Many thanks,

Bob
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2013, 06:20 PM
Take them to an office store and have a copy made.

Andy
Oct 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
team sleprock
I use tracing paper, and redraw each piece, then use 3m post-it note, glue in a stick, built my 1/4 scale Pitts that way!

for ribs and things I need more then one of, I glue it too card stock, then use that!
Oct 15, 2013, 07:26 PM
Rusty Fingers
I am with Andy on this. I have tried transferring patterns using lacquer thinner, acetone, blah blah blah, but really the only thing that is consistent for me is to simply copy the plans, cut out the parts templates, and adhere them to the balsa with 3M Super 77 spray. SOOOOOO much easier than all that other stuff. If the patterns are hard to remove after you cut the part, just hit it with your heat gun and you are good to go.
Oct 16, 2013, 07:49 AM
As an option for those wanting to work with one set of plans and without the adhesive, here is a link to a method I have used for a long time; all you need is a T-pin, a dressmaker's pattern wheel and a pen or pencil. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2000566&page=3 (post #38)

Soft landings,

Joe
Oct 16, 2013, 08:00 AM
Thread OP
Many thanks guys!

Bob
Oct 16, 2013, 08:13 AM
If you get the plans copied, make sure the copy is 1:1 scale! I've run into ones that were slightly off (but just enough to make it annoying).

BTW, that also goes for plans you print on your own printer. Not all printers print at the same scale -- when we swapped out an ink-jet for a laser (on the same computer), the laser printer almost 10% larger.

Glue sticks work well for parts templates, too. You don't have to use removable ones. Just put the template and wood under firm, flat weights and let them sit overnight. I used to use 3M-77, but the glue sticks are a lot less messy.

CD
Oct 16, 2013, 09:00 AM
Neophyte hacker
Much cheaper in the long run to have a copy made. Take it to a print shop and specify 100% scale.

The pin trick works, but, it still leaves you with a set of plans that has a ton of holes in it.

I will make two copies. One to cut up and one to build over (which also usually gets cut up). The original I hang on the wall for reference during the build.

FWIW, I also have the copy shop make a pdf file of the plans and put it on a CD. That way I have a permanent record I can have printed again. And print shops will do this by mail if you don't have one close by.

charlie
Oct 16, 2013, 02:14 PM
If you plan on building from plans more, you many want to invest in SeeTemp (http://www.seetemp.com/) It's been a few years since I built with the stuff as I built a CNC machine, but I used it for years and always liked it. Seems expensive but it seems to last forever. I now use it to cut paint masks with my CNC machine.
Oct 16, 2013, 05:54 PM
My favorite method is to get some clear plastic sheets of a thickness that would be scissor-friendly, and using a fine-tipped Sharpie marker, draw the outline onto the plastic, mark the piece, and then cut it out and transfer the outline to the balsa sheet using the same sharpie.
Oct 16, 2013, 05:54 PM
Learn to build with wood.
I just use carbon paper.....
Oct 16, 2013, 05:56 PM
Carbon paper is a good idea. I like that. Makes easy printwood.
I'll have to remember that.
Oct 16, 2013, 07:54 PM
Another for tracing paper. I use 3M77 spray adhesive. Just a light dusting to stick the tracing paper down.
Edwin
Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2
If you plan on building from plans more, you many want to invest in SeeTemp (http://www.seetemp.com/) It's been a few years since I built with the stuff as I built a CNC machine, but I used it for years and always liked it. Seems expensive but it seems to last forever. I now use it to cut paint masks with my CNC machine.
very interesting product, I am going to get some and try it out, thanks for the link.

conrad
Oct 17, 2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Farrar
Hi all,

I've been out of the loop for a while. I need a method to transfer patterns from
plans in order to make parts.

The models are the Firefly from FM 12-10 and a Powerhouse from FM 9-03.

Shy of ordering more copies to cut up, any ideas?

Many thanks,

Bob
Robert,
Please make sure you post a build thread on your Firefly project. I too ordered a set of plans for the Firefly from Flying Models and plan to get mine built this year. It would be interesting to see two different approaches to building Robert Dance's Firefly.

Quick Reply