Cape Cod Slope Flyers 10/12/13 - Page 5 - RC Groups
Nov 01, 2015, 08:41 AM
Dunetop Flyer
The Corn Hill place might work in the winter when the summer trophy home owners aren't here. Next time I'm up that way I'll check this out. Looks like the homeowners assoc. access to the beach. By the way, this location is where a long endurance glider flight took place. https://vintagesailplaneblog.wordpre...aviation-corp/
to remove ads between posts
Nov 08, 2015, 04:02 PM
It's time for me to fly
Here is a short cell phone video I shot back in September of Jan flying his 60" Mig-3 at Whitecrest. A close in pass and some beach runs. Wind was 16-18 mph almost straight in. Jan's on the left, Dave Garwood in the center photographing the action, and an interested bystander who went home with some cool photos

Jan, I'll be back this Thursday - Sunday. The long range forecast looks good.

- Jim

Jan C's Mig at Whitecrest (0 min 58 sec)
Nov 08, 2015, 05:07 PM
Dunetop Flyer
We'll try to have some good wind next weekend. Blowing about 20-25 today from NW so I went to Crosby. Flew the DAW 1-26 for a while. P-40 is repaired and my 48" Patton ME-262 is also ready but needs a bit of repainting. Next project will probably be a slope scale ME-109 I've had on the shelf for a few years.
Jan
Nov 14, 2015, 01:41 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Friday and Saturday turned out to be epic wind and lift at Duck. A steady 30-35 with gusts in the 40's made for some interesting and fast flying. JimZ had his F20 ripping up the sky today and we were also enjoying the two Slopestreams. Today I flew the Magnum models Mig3 but wind was more suited to the Slopestream.
Nov 14, 2015, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
I'll be on the Cape this Friday - Sunday. Looking like west winds at this point. Hoping to fly at Duck Harbor on Friday (probably in the afternoon, my wife wants to wander around P-town in the morning) and maybe again Saturday after killing the bulk of the day at Oysterfest. Sunday looks like a day in the car <sigh>

-Jim
Sounds delicious..............send some photos lol.............love me some Oysters sick like hell right now!
Nov 14, 2015, 01:58 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Gotta be here for the Wellfleet Oyster Fest in Oct. or, harvest your own on Nov. Sundays in Brewster until Thanksgiving.
Nov 14, 2015, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarstan
Gotta be here for the Wellfleet Oyster Fest in Oct. or, harvest your own on Nov. Sundays in Brewster until Thanksgiving.
Oh man Oysters, and my nephew is excite about going to Hollywood to see feet encased in stone...............................when I was a kid in New York I would go and dig up claims...............wow!
Nov 15, 2015, 07:53 AM
It's time for me to fly
Wow that was fun!

Nice shots there Jan. I'll post some from my camera when I get home tonight.
Packing up for thelong drive home this morning It's still blowing hard, and supposed to come back around to due west by midday. Wish I had time to fly today....I still have one more plane to break!

- Jim
Nov 17, 2015, 08:33 PM
It's time for me to fly
What a great couple days of flying! Like Jan said, 2 days of big wind. What a blast. Friday was 30 - 35+ just slightly south of straight in. I was able to maiden the repaired Slopestream. She flew on the first toss, and a little tweak of the CG got her moving nicely. The F-20 went up too but didn't seem quite dialed in. Jan had his Slopestream ripping around. It flies beautifully.

Saturday was just as strong but WNW. Jan had his Slopestream screaming around again but I just couldn't get mine on step....just wallowing and sinking. Landed it at the bottom 3 times. Still scratching my head over that. The F-20 needed a bunch of down trim in the the big lift, but when I got it right she was crazy fast and kept getting faster. The fun ended when I lost it in a low turn and hit the slope hard. The fuse is broken at the cockpit and the wing is partly knocked loose. Time for more repairs

I can't wait to do it again!

Here's some more photos:
Last edited by JimZinVT; Nov 17, 2015 at 09:32 PM.
Jan 11, 2016, 08:01 AM
It's time for me to fly
It looks like a great day to be at Duck Harbor!

Unfortunately I'm 5 hours to the northwest, trying to fix a leaking skylight on a slippery metal roof. Airplanes have been on the back burner for a while here, "stuff" keeps getting in the way.

Most of them are broken anyway!

So far we are virtually snowless this winter....quite a change from last year.

- Jim
Jan 11, 2016, 10:04 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Have had quite a few good west wind days with decent temps in the past month. Dusted off my 10 yr old scratch built Do-335 which never flew correctly. Ran the ISR CG calculator and found the proper CG and now it's a sweet flyer. Amazing what a proper CG setting will do.
Jan 11, 2016, 08:59 PM
It's time for me to fly
Jan I'm glad to hear you're getting some sloping in. That Dornier looks great. Foam or glass? Break-away lower fin I'd guess?

I've had no interest in trying to fly the lousy local slopes since those great days we had on the Cape in the fall. I'm spoiled now!

I managed to get an hour in the shop this afternoon, got the fuse templates finished for the Mooney. Wife is working late tomorrow....maybe I can get the fuse blank cut to shape.

- Jim
Jan 12, 2016, 09:22 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Foam. Magnets for detachable lower fin made of basswood. With long nose had to add lead to tail to finally get proper CG.
Apr 18, 2016, 12:16 AM
It's time for me to fly
Cape report, weekend of 4/16: Despite the big wind I didn't do much flying. I came with lighter-wind planes than the conditions called for. Friday was 25-30, N - NNE. Saturday was 30-40 from the NNE-NE. The surf was huge....12'+ on Saturday. On Saturday evening the wind settled down to 20-25 so I went to Coast Guard in Truro. The wind was straight in, but I found that the Plovers have already claimed the dunes on both sides of the parking lot....the whole area is roped off and posted "for bird use only". I should have checked Head of the Meadow, but I assumed the birds were probably in control there too so I drove down to Whitecrest where the wind was pretty severely off to the left. I flew my Zulu anyway. After 15 minutes I brought her in for a nice soft landing in the parking lot, and an oblivious old lady in a big SUV (the only other car in the lot) drove right over my plane on her way out! I was so disgusted I left without flying anything else.

The Wellfleet beaches haven't had the erosion damage this winter that they've had the last couple years. The dunes and the paths to the beach look unchanged from last fall. In Eastham at Nauset Light the stairs were washed away again (3rd year in a row?) so there is currently no beach access there.

I'll be back down there on May 20 for a few days. Maybe I'll have some planes ready by then

- Jim
Last edited by JimZinVT; Apr 18, 2016 at 12:25 AM.
Apr 18, 2016, 02:45 AM
Hi Jim!
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how that feels. Once when hand catching, I stumbled and made a swan dive directly on top of my glider. It saved me from injury, but not so good for the glider!
Mike