Cape Cod Slope Flyers 10/12/13 - Page 4 - RC Groups
Sep 12, 2015, 06:02 PM
It's time for me to fly
I'll be on the Cape for the next 2 weeks. If anyone is flying, get in touch. Looks like a decent west wind is possible for Mon - Tues.....we'll see what blows our way!

- Jim
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2015, 12:31 AM
It's time for me to fly
Duck was great today. I was there from 2:00 until 4:30. Wind straight out of the west, 20-25mph when I got there, slowly faded to the lower teens, then picked back up towards 20 just before I left. I flew until everything was broken

I struggled to re-maiden the F-20 that Jan gave me, but no luck. With CG and throws set per the plans, she wanted to dive hard. I kept adding up trim, eventually with full up trim and some back stick I could get her to fly but if I released the stick she still dove. Best flight was 20 seconds out to the right and back, landing at the foot of the dune. The stab is cracked, but I can probably fix it temporarily with CA if we get another good day to try again.

My scratchbuilt plank flew well but the nose broke off again on landing. this is the 3rd time I've broken it in the same spot. She's going in the trash. It was meant as a foam prototype before trying a vacuum bagged composite version.

Then I tossed the Fishray for her first flight on a "real" slope. She flew great. I'm a hack when it comes to aerobatics, but I was getting some halfway decent rolls sometimes....still need a LOT of practice though.

The new version of the Zulu was up next, also first time on a real slope. Really fun plane. Noticeably faster and more agile than the Fishray, and climbed higher in similar lift. Similar results with rolls....sloppy but improving. She cranks really tight hard turns. Must be the leading edge "drooperon" control surfaces at work? Eventually I dorked a landing and broke a servo arm. I don't have any spares so tomorrow I'll probably pull the servos and install some others I have with me.

So I brought out the Fishray again, even though the wind was picking up towards 20 again (it's a 20 oz. "Le Fish" inspired model meant for light wind aerobatics). Had to work at keeping it moving fast enough to penetrate. It got blown back on a loop too close to the lip, and came in hard, cracking the fuse near the L.E. It's repaired and ready for another day, so I have at least one plane to fly still.

I had a lot of company up on the dune today.....various groups of walkers passed through, all wanting to ask questions while I tried to fly. A trio of young ladies on horseback. One guy who stood silently behind me watching and when I landed he couldn't believe there was no motor....he said I was a magician And coolest of all, a low flyby of a C-130, and not long after a B-24 Liberator came down the shoreline at about 400' I wish I had a photo of the Fishray and Liberator up there together.

Sorry no photos today, my photographer stayed home when I told her I might be out for several hours.

Tomorrow looks like WNW, strong in the morning then fading. I might try Duck again if I get moving early enough. Or Brewster if it goes further NW.

- Jim
Sep 23, 2015, 10:13 PM
It's time for me to fly
We've had a couple nice days on the outer Cape. Yesterday at Whitecrest the wind was in the low- to mid-teens straight in from ENE. I flew the Zulu and Fishray. The Fishray lost radio signal a couple times....re-connected the first time but not the second....crashed into the dune but no damage. I met Dave Garwood out there. He was flying a bunch of cool planes, and making it look easy. KI-?, F-80, an old NEX Sabre plank, a combat wing, and Weasel. One paraglider showed up and launched from the beach. Pretty cool....I didn't know that was possible.

Today was lighter from the NE. Dave and I flew at Head of the Meadow beach for a couple hours. The wind was mostly in the 8-10 mph range. The Zulu and Fishray both did well in the lighter lift. Dave put his Weasel, Duster, Sabre plank, and a couple Alulas through their paces.
I bought the Sabre off him cool little plank from the 90's similar in size and planform to Tim's Gizmo.

The forecast is for stronger wind from the NE and E tomorrow and Friday.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Sep 24, 2015 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Not sure which KI- that was.
Sep 24, 2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the report, Jim. We will look foreword to seeing you in a Dave Garwood article soon!
Would love to see some pictures.
Wish I were there!
Mike
Sep 28, 2015, 09:58 PM
It's time for me to fly
I'm back in Vermont, and missing the great flying on the Cape. I'm planning to get back for at least a couple more long weekends before Thanksgiving.

3 more great days of flying on Thurs., Fri., and Sat., with Jan, Dave, and Jim H. Everything from Alulas to 60" warbirds were flying. We had light wind flying from the small hill at Head of the Meadow on Thursday, and 16-18 straight in at Whitecrest on Friday. I missed Saturday morning but the rest were up at Coast Guard in Truro with 18+ again. I got out to Coast Guard for a flight on Sat. evening. I had a great time. Five good days of flying in 2 weeks....by far the most and the best slope flying I've done. I want more!

I forgot my camera on this trip, but here's the best of my cell phone shots and one my wife took. Hopefully Dave will post a few of the great shots he took of Jan's 60" Mig-3 and P-38 too. Beautifully detailed planes that flew great too!

- Jim

These photos are from Friday:
Last edited by JimZinVT; Sep 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
Sep 28, 2015, 11:41 PM
It's time for me to fly
One more, of Jan's big Mig:
Sep 29, 2015, 01:17 AM
Thanks for taking us on your trip, Jim!
Slope soaring is my favorite sport too. More people should experience it. Especially at the beach.
So enjoyable!
God bless,
Mike
Sep 29, 2015, 09:35 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Was some of the best stretch of flying we've had for a very long time. This is the best time of the year so we were stocked. Thanks to Dave Garwood for the photos of my LEG P-38 and Magnum Models Mig3. If interested, there is a build thread on the P-38 (Prototype) in this forum.
Oct 28, 2015, 08:27 PM
It's time for me to fly
If the forecast holds true I'll be up at Duck Harbor this Friday morning at 9am. If anyone is around, come out and play!

I have some cell phone video of Jan flying his 60" MIG at Whitecrest a month ago. If I can figure out how to get it out of the phone and onto the computer, I'll post it here.

- Jim
Oct 30, 2015, 11:28 PM
It's time for me to fly
Jan and I had some fun up at Duck Harbor this morning. We had winds straight in, mid-20s gusting to 30 mph. He flew his beautiful white and pearl-blue Slopestream....that thing is fast and rolls quick! And his F4J Fury made a brief appearance but battery issues forced it down. No damage.

I flew the little NEX Sabre plank I bought from Dave Garwood in September. Really surprised that it handled that wind without any ballast....I think it only weighs 8 or 10 ounces. It was flying great but I looked down to fiddle with my Tx, and when I looked up it was coming in fast. A rough "landing" ejected the battery and nose weight. I found the battery but not the lead.

I finally got the F-20 flying after my CG problems a month ago. She flies nice and I think I'm pretty close on the CG now (~1/2" behind what the plans say). After Jan left I got brave and did a few rolls. Gotta say she rolls better than any plane I have. 5 flights, and some pretty nice landings on most of them. Then I had a klutz moment....the wind blew it out of my hands while getting ready for another launch, and the elevator broke So now I get to work on my repair skills.

I wish I could fly in these conditions more than a few days a year. I need the practice. Especially self-launching in these conditions.
The rest of the weekend is not looking good wind-wise. Hope to return again 2nd weekend of Nov.
Here's a few photos. They're not Garwood-quality....kinda fuzzy because they're zoomed and cropped quite a bit.
Oct 31, 2015, 08:49 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Stoked to finally see the F-20 fly. It's been a long time coming with the CG issues. Outstanding wind and weather. Hasn't been this good in a month. Love the Slopestream. Thanks for the pictures Jim. Need to do this more often.
Oct 31, 2015, 09:20 PM
It's time for me to fly
We do need to do it more often. And find more fliers to join the fun. I wish I was close enough to come down on short notice.
But I'll be back in 2 weeks.

And we need some southwest / south / southeast options. I've been scouring Google Earth looking at possible sites. Most are in rich people's backyards. Or require a long hike or a boat to get to. We need to get some of these trophy house owners on the Truro bluffs into slope soaring!

- Jim