Jun 18, 2019, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrouss
@ceyak, I scoped out a site on Skinner mountain where hang gliders used to fly that looks promising. 7 minute walk from the summit house parking lot down a trail to the south. Unlike most other places in our area, thereís an actually grassy LZ (small, but doable). I wasnít there on a flyable day but had the opportunity to do some recon.
excellent - the next 3 weekends are booked up for me, but maybe we can find a weekday evening that works.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2019, 02:09 PM
It's time for me to fly
While you central MA guys are here conversing.....here is shot I took of the east face at Sugarloaf Reservation near Deerfield while ony way home from CT a few weeks ago. West face looks similar but I forgot to take a picture. About 200' high. Definitely flyable, but landing out would be an adventure. And probably an off season only site, I'd guess the place is pretty busy in the summer and fall.
Jun 18, 2019, 04:30 PM
left, left, oh, my other left!
Thanks Jim - I hadnít considered landing out below. That can open up some possibilities. Similar situation at Poetís Seat in Greenfield which you can drive right up to - If I remember correctly there are some athletic fields below, just no where to land up top so I havenít tried it. Creativity is the name of the game!
Jun 18, 2019, 05:11 PM
It's time for me to fly
Problem is you won't get down there to retrieve your plane for a while.... hopefully it's still there when you do. Hard to judge your landing from high above too.
At Sugarloaf there is a grassy park at the top, so in theory you could land where you launch. I haven't been up there to look at it, but you can get an idea with Google Maps or Earth.

I tried to find the spot on Skinner Mt. on Google Maps but don't see anything obvious. Would that be a NW wind site?
Jun 19, 2019, 12:03 PM
left, left, oh, my other left!
Yes it is NW facing. It doesnít show up on google earth for some reason but if you search skinner mountain hang gliding on YouTube you can get a good view. Had some good light air at Maguires this morning - perfect for the Alula
Jun 19, 2019, 02:34 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Weekend forecast for Wellfleet is sunny and NW @13+ this Saturday and Sunday, June 22-23.
Any location suggestions for flying on those days? I can do Saturday, but sadly must work back in Boston on Sunday.
I will be staying down in Eastham --which is convenient to EVERYTHING-- beginning Thursday, but the forecast for both Thursday and Friday is rain.
Again, Saturday and Sunday look sunny with flyable wind speeds.
Last edited by John Rood; Jun 19, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
Jun 19, 2019, 05:39 PM
It's time for me to fly
John, Crosby beach in Brewster has always been our go-to northwest wind site. As you know it's a small dune but definitely flyable. Chapin Beach which is 20 minutes west in Dennis is also a nice northwest site, and the dune is two to three times taller than Crosby. I did a write up and some pictures probably a few pages back in this thread. Wish I could join you. I will be down there starting the following Thursday for a week. But we're into the summer zoo season then, so not sure how much flying I will get in, if any.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Jun 19, 2019 at 05:48 PM.
Jun 19, 2019, 05:48 PM
Dunetop Flyer
John,
Crosby is definite for Alula in NW winds. However, be advised that parking stickers are now required from 9-4 through Labor Day . I think other towns may or may not have the same schedule.
Jun 19, 2019, 05:56 PM
It's time for me to fly
Hmmm, I forgot about beach stickers. Between that and the pay-to-park sites, we're kinda stuck with before 9am or after 5pm till Sept.
Jun 19, 2019, 08:04 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Thanks for that helpful info Jim and Jan!
En route tomorrow Iíll check out Chapin for the first time and try my luck at Crosby as well.
Maybe the rain forecast will allow me to sneak in the parking lot without a sticker!
Another way around the town sticker thing is my wife: she will be traveling with me and perhaps she will drop me off and pick me up if needed.
Jun 19, 2019, 08:10 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
We are staying this weekend as guests of friends who own a cottage in Eastham, and perhaps they have a beach sticker for that town’s beaches. I’ll see what I can ferret out. I’m bringing a Weasel and an Alula. Unfortunately the Alula has become a heavy rhino of a thing — all gnarled and full of adhesives and junk from a thousand repairs!
Jun 19, 2019, 09:09 PM
It's time for me to fly
SE wind tomorrow.... that's a puzzle I haven't solved. Helmut told me he flew at Chatham light on a SE, but that place is busy even in the off season.
High Head in Truro (Cliff Road) might be place to try for SW, no beach stickers required.

John, if you're stopping at Chapin you should check out the 1/4 mile long boardwalk out into the marsh at Gray's beach nearby. It's on the way, sort of.
Jun 20, 2019, 10:38 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Saturday shows 13-15 kts from NW even at 4pm. Crosby would be best bet.
Jun 20, 2019, 10:49 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Great. I'll plan Saturday for 4:00pm at Crosby. Pending any sched conflicts with our hosts in Eastham. (I'm hoping to bring them with me!)

Come on' down, y'all!!! ;-)
Jun 20, 2019, 12:17 PM
It's time for me to fly
Have fun guys.
If the wind turns I might try this beautiful slope I found near my house.

Quick Reply