Cape Cod Slope Flyers 10/12/13 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jul 02, 2014, 11:37 AM
I'll be on the cape from July 11th through July 18th (bass river). I've been going to the cape every summer my entire life but i've never done any rc flying out there. are there any dunes close to south yarmouth I should consider checking out for some slope flying?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 02, 2014, 04:21 PM
Dunetop Flyer
At this time of the year the predominant wind is southwest. This leaves few options as those dunes along the Sound. As you know they are small but could probably be sloped with a light plane.
One has to go to the outer Cape to find good slopes but these are mostly east or west facing. There is one spot in Wellfleet (not close to S. Yarmouth) at Duck Harbor that has a small area for SW wind sloping with a good slope. However, this area has on occasion been closed due to endangered bird nesting.
Feb 01, 2015, 11:08 PM

Cape Cod Slope Soaring

Hi Guys!
I am dreaming of a trip this spring or fall. What is the best time of year to go for medium strength winds?
Thanks!
Mike
Feb 02, 2015, 10:01 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Hi Mike,
It's kind of difficult to predict specific times but either the April or Sep to early Nov.
time should provide some medium winds - by medium I mean around 15-25mph but your definition may be different. We have found these winds to be best for our slopes and for the current PSS planes out there (no Fermin death missile weights). The spring has great winds but it is difficult to predict when the National Seashore or towns will close a slope because of nesting endangered birds. March has good winds but it can still be quite cold and overcast - same for April.
Best is to check Wind Mapper and look for a High setting up over eastern Canada or a Low moving up off the coast. These provide good E and NE winds on our best slopes. But, since we stick out into the Atlantic we are subject to quick weather changes so keep that in mind. Personally, I prefer the time after Labor Day until it gets too cold to fly in January/Feb. We have a cold spring but warm fall compared to off Cape Cod.
http://windmapper.com/NE/forecast

Jan
Feb 02, 2015, 09:46 PM
It's time for me to fly
Agreed, spring and fall are more dependable, and in late spring many sites will be closed due to Plover nesting. Summer is a gamble but you can still get some good days, especially if you have a light plane to fly. I've had some fun with my Alula or small DLG in July. But between the Plovers and the thousands of people, it can be hard to find space to fly in the summer. Fall is my favorite time on the Cape....still warm, more wind, less people.

- Jim
Last edited by JimZinVT; Feb 02, 2015 at 10:15 PM.
Feb 02, 2015, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys! Maybe I will see you this fall.
Mike
Feb 02, 2015, 11:58 PM
It's time for me to fly
Post something here if you're going. I'll be there a few fall weekends, and hopefully a week in Sept.
Apr 04, 2015, 09:33 PM
It's time for me to fly
Steady 35-40 mph gusting to 50+ on top of the dune at Duck today at 2:30pm. Crystal blue sky and not a plover in sight. Way too much for the lightweight foamies I had with me....they never left the car

It was probably too NW , the gulls were struggling when soaring left to right. But if I had something heavier, I probably would have thrown it anyway

Some day I'm going to be there when the conditions are good and I have the right planes with me.

- Jim
Apr 17, 2015, 09:13 AM
That looks awesome. Everytime I show up the wind is light or from a bad direction. Though I'm ready for light wind the next time around. Would love to be able to pull out the old Super Cheetah when the wind is blowing hard.
Apr 24, 2015, 04:18 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Great wind at DH today - WNW at 22-25 - for SlopeStream and 60" MIG-3. Did see that the beach was posted - out from the slope so it probably won't be too long before we are chased off by the bird protection ranger.
Apr 25, 2015, 09:02 AM
It's time for me to fly
Sorry I missed that!

Wind has been blowing here, but in the wrong direction for my tiny local slopes.

I'll be there for 4 days starting 5/15. It's a "work weekend", but hoping to fly a little too. I better get moving on my plane repair projects!

- Jim
May 21, 2015, 08:48 PM
It's time for me to fly
I did a little flying early Monday morning. Whitecrest was light (6-8mph) and too NE, but I tossed out my scale-ish foamy and scratched around for 10 minutes. Just barely enough lift.

Then drove up to Beachcomber and hung around for a while. Light but straighter in, so I flew the scalish thing again (it's a Windrider "Easy Pro"....nothing special but it flies) The wind picked up (12-14) so I maidened a 48" plank I had designed and built a year ago but had never flown. On the first toss the rates were way too high and I landed on the beach after a short wild ride. The path is very steep! With lowered rates she flew pretty well. I stayed up about 20 minutes but my wife was bored so I landed (in one piece!) and headed out.

I had both sites completely to myself!

- Jim

My wife took a few photos:
May 22, 2015, 05:24 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Very nice Jim. Looks like more of the parking area at the Beachcomber was lost this winter.
Fence used to mark edge of parking lot. People are arriving in droves so we now wait for
September, or some cloudy overcast day, to do some slopeing. Get that SlopeStream painted.
May 22, 2015, 07:24 PM
It's time for me to fly
Most of the fence is still there, right on the lip of the slope. (the fence-free photos are from Whitecrest) The slope face at both sites has become very steep from the winter storm erosion and there's not much of a path. Once people start walking up and down that should improve.

I won't be back until early July for our annual family gathering. Not typically the best time for slope winds, but I'm building a couple light-lift planes (Fishray and Zulu XL) so maybe I'll get some flight time.

I'll have the F-20 and Slopestream ready for the autumn winds. I should be there for several long weekends in the fall and maybe a week in late September.
Aug 26, 2015, 07:14 PM
It's time for me to fly
I'm going to be on the Cape the last 2 weeks of September, 13-27th. If anyone will be around I'd love to get together and do some flying. Shoot me a PM, post here, e-mail, whatever. I should have planes for most any wind condition with me....a FishRay and Zulu for the light to moderate stuff, and the 2 PSS planes Jan gave me (If I get it in gear and finish fixing them up!) They all need to be maidened.

This isn't a 100% slope vacation....my wife will be with me. But I should have more free time than usual. First 3 days we'll have some non-flying company; after that I hope to fly when the wind allows. We'll see what I can get away with

- Jim