Cape Cod Slope Flyers 10/12/13 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 11, 2013, 03:31 PM
Dunetop Flyer
We flew until about 1130. As Jeff said, wind at perfect angle and blowing around 20 when we got there. Excellent lift. Was chased by a Merlin on Fri. but he never touched the plane - just harrassing. Looking forward to flying together at DH or Wcrest or bring an electric for flying at Crosby.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2013, 10:21 PM
The first part was ok. Tested the site with the trusty Dynaflite Talon, which is a great light wind plane with great penetration for higher winds. Then flew the P38, it stayed up. Now the Ventus. This plane needs wind, alot of it. So slow turns and staying close to the ridge was needed. This plane has a violent tendency to tip stall at low speeds, keeping the speed up is a must. I REALLY wish I got this plane earlier in the week, it sounded like Sunday was a better day for the heavy planes.
I sure hope to meet you guys on the slope some day, it would be nice to fly together.
Jeff
Nov 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
********ATTENTION SLOPE SOARERS********
Sunday November 24, 2013. Weatherbug.com & Accuweather.com have for casted a 25-35 West wind for the Cape! It will be cold, it will be windy, and I know I will be there. I'm thinking Duck Cove, but if you know of a better place I'm in.
Nov 18, 2013, 04:35 PM
It's time for me to fly
Sounds like fun. I won't be there though. Even if I could I don't have any aircraft suitable for that much wind yet. Have fun, take pictures. I think Duck is the place for a west....highest spot facing in that direction.

I may be "on-Cape" the Sunday after Thanksgiving, at the end of our holiday Tour du New England, with stops in Orange and Clinton CT, Taunton MA, and Providence RI. Ughh. Maybe I can sneak in an hour or 2 of flying.

Looks like we might be back again the 1st weekend in Jan.
Nov 18, 2013, 05:32 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Duck Harbor is the only place left for west winds and that's not all that bad given the good landing area(s). We have found that at winds over 30-35 mph there is kind of a blow over - the lift is no longer as good as it was in the mid 20s. It's still fun but don't expect even better lift as the wind speed increases. We have flown DH in 40 mph. Hope Sunday pans out but expect to see a number of wind direction and velocity changes this far ahead.
Nov 22, 2013, 08:16 PM
Well, I must admit tgat Jan is correct. Sunday is calling for 9deg wind chill factor, and winds that will make unflyable conditions. 42mph?????? Thats a bit too much. Soooooooooo, Monday it is.
Nov 23, 2013, 08:08 AM
It's time for me to fly
I like this site for wind predictions. Reasonably accurate. Hover over a location for 2 day forecast, click for a week. Sunday does look rather "energetic", and maybe a bit north? Mon.looks nice...I'll just call my boss and quit, and get the car packed Still hoping for an hour or 2 next Sunday if the schedule allows.
Dec 02, 2013, 11:10 PM
Envies his own avatar
I have received (from George Ferris) a history of slope soaring (primarily by hang-gliders) on Cape Cod. Would you folks be interested? Should I post it here? Or start a new thread?
--Rocky
Dec 02, 2013, 11:13 PM
It's time for me to fly
Either way, here, another thread, or off site, I'd love to read it.
Dec 02, 2013, 11:43 PM
It's time for me to fly
I was on the Cape for a brief visit Sat. afternoon through Sun. morning. Reports showed there might have been a window of light but flyable east wind early in the afternoon but I didn't get there in time.
We went to Indian Neck to watch the sunset, and I found an interesting little bowl that might be a fun place to fly small light stuff in a light W - NW....Alulas, light Fish and the like. It's a few hundred yards south of the parking lot, but I see on the google image below that there is a path from the road that goes right there. No more than 30' high, 150' long. No access to the top, fly from the beach. Low tide might be best....looks like the high tide may come almost to the foot of the bluff.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Dec 07, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Dec 03, 2013, 12:20 AM
Envies his own avatar
Ah, wait, I just realized George Ferris' history of slope soaring Cape Cod is already posted online...
http://seascapemotorinn.com/oldsite/FlyIn.html
Dec 03, 2013, 08:25 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Too bad it's that very informative article. I've been doing some research, off and on, gathering information on slope soaring here. Always looking for new pictures and information. When you ask around on this topic one gets a lot of blank stares.
Jun 23, 2014, 12:22 AM
It's time for me to fly

Plover report?

I'll be on the Cape for a week starting 6/28. Any word on whether the Piping Plovers have shut down any of the flying sites? Is there an on-line site that lists beach closures? I haven't been able to find one.

I don't know how much flying I'll be able to do, between the holiday week traffic mayhem and family obligations, but I'll have at least a couple planes with me just in case. I can always fly the light stuff on a NW at Linell or Crosby....no driving involved. (all I have is light stuff anyway :-)

I've been down there a couple weekends this spring, but had winds out of the south both trips.
Jun 30, 2014, 09:18 AM
Dunetop Flyer
No official site for plover closures. If you see roped off areas with yellow triangle signs - area is closed. Haven't checked out Duck Harbor since May so I don't know what the status there is. You'll have to pay for parking.
Jul 02, 2014, 09:01 AM
It's time for me to fly
Thanks Jan. Most of the dune from Crosby to the marsh is roped off. I haven't been anywhere else as the wind has been SSW. No flying other than a little low tide DLG on the flats. Possibly some NW shifting to W on Saturday.