Cape Cod Slope Flyers 10/12/13 - Page 15 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Oct 28, 2017, 09:44 PM
It's time for me to fly
It is a long walk. A boat, a cooler, and some discus launch planes is the way to do it

Sue and I walked the Duck Harbor dune trails today(without planes) Nice steady 10-12 mph breeze but too south for the SW face. We hiked from Harding's Beach out to Stage Harbor light for sunset tonight too. Again, too south for the SW dune at Harding's.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2017, 01:52 PM
It's time for me to fly
How did the Cape fare in last night's windstorm? We had a steady SE in the 40s and gusts into the 70s here overnight. No damage at my place but trees and power poles down all over the state. 100,000 homes without power in VT overnight, down to 40,000 last I heard. ALL the leaves are off the trees now.

Looking forward to more fun a couple weekends from now.
Here's a couple more great shots that Jan sent me.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:48 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Wind about same as you. Still gusts in mid 40s but 55 in P'Town. Power out in parts of west Brewster with trees down. Not as much rain as last storm but still, everything is soaked.
Nov 06, 2017, 06:50 PM
It's time for me to fly
Watching the weather for the second half of this week. I'll be there Thursday through Sunday. Right now the forecast seems to be all over the place and changing by the hour....light E on Thurs. (maybe be too light?), strong NW on Fri. (Maybe too strong?), maybe flyable NW on Sat. AM, and who knows for Sun. Temps. near freezing Fri. & Sat. I'm sure all of that will change in the next three days. Hoping for some air time!

EDIT: fixed my dyslexic wind directions....NW, not NE
(NE would have been better....wishful thinking?)
Last edited by JimZinVT; Nov 06, 2017 at 07:02 PM.
Nov 08, 2017, 08:06 AM
It's time for me to fly
Thurs. & Sun. don't look good. Friday looks too strong for the small NW dunes in Brewster. Saturday looks flyable with NW wind in the 20s falling to teens. But cold, in the low 30s.
We'll see what the wind blows our way.

- Jim
Nov 08, 2017, 01:06 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Jim - You sure know how to bring that weather with you. Shouldn't that stay in VT?

Jan
Nov 08, 2017, 03:42 PM
It's time for me to fly
Brrrr. Where are those 70* November weekends we were discussing a couple weeks ago?
I've got the mittens & wool socks packed. Still hoping for a Saturday morning session.
Nov 08, 2017, 09:24 PM
Portsmouth & Malta
Really Jim? !
It's looking bleak but let's hope, I'm ready to head up if frost bite isn't an issue.
Nov 09, 2017, 11:37 AM
It's time for me to fly
Well, I don't think I'd drive 2 hours to fly the NW at Crosby Beach Alex, unless you're desperate for a fix. It's a very small dune (photo in post 82). I'm here for 4 days, and it's 5 minutes from my mom's house. And Jan has <10 minute drive. So we can fly until we're frozen and go right home. Saturday still looks like the most tolerable day to be out there....sunny, temps in the mid-30s, wind 20ish. We'll see if that holds.

- Jim
Nov 13, 2017, 10:44 PM
It's time for me to fly
Thursday I got a little unexpected flying in at sunset. The wind websites were all showing a too light east wind but I stopped by Maguires beach and found a steady 8-10. I wasn't sure that was enough, but tossed out the Ahi and that was plenty of wind to have some fun with. Flew about 20 minutes, until it was getting too dark. Wish I went over earlier. But now I have a baseline for what's flyable.

Friday brought 30 - 40 from the NW, way too much for the little Brewster dunes, especially with temps in the 30s. Saturday morning was still cold, but the wind was down to 20 so I bundled up and went over to Crosby. I flew the little NEX plank for a while, and the Ahi with a couple ounces of ballast taped on. With a few layers of clothing on and some fleece mitts I was actually pretty comfortable. I stayed out an hour and a half.

I will be back for some portion of Thanksgiving weekend, and possibly again 2 weeks later. Hoping for some of those mythical 70* winter weekends.
Dec 01, 2017, 08:10 PM
It's time for me to fly
I was on the Cape last Sat. & Sun. Wind was from the wrong direction both days (South, then WNW). I will give it another try a week from now, coming back for 4 days.

On Saturday Sue and I hiked 2 miles south of Nauset Beach to see the remains of a shipwreck that was recently exposed by the shifting sand. The CC Times said it is most likely the wreck of the Montclair which ran aground in 1927 after leaving Halifax. Felt like twice that distance walking in the soft sand, but it was a beautiful day and you don't get a chance to see something like that too often.
There are some nice medium sized dunes down there.

Did you fly on Monday Jan?
Dec 02, 2017, 05:43 PM
It's time for me to fly
I came across this website today with information and photos of abandoned airfields in SE Massachusetts, many on Cape Cod. Interesting stuff. Chatham Naval Air Station? Airstrips in Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans, Harwich? I had no idea.
The site's main page has similar info for all 50 states.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Dec 03, 2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Dec 06, 2017, 08:31 PM
It's time for me to fly
Anyone going to be around this weekend? I'll be there late Thurs. night through Monday afternoon. Right now the forecast varies from site to site. Windmapper, Windfinder, Windy and Weather Underground all agree that Saturday doesn't look flyable. Possibly some light west early Friday, then turning SW, and maybe some better W - WSW Sunday and Monday? Temps. in the 30s every day. I could go any mornings. I may try to go to Duck early Friday if the forecast holds true. That seems ambitious though, considering our midnight ETA, so maybe just wait till later in the day and see if there's enough SW for the small dunes at Harding's in Chatham. And hopefully some good wind Sun. &/or Mon.

- Jim
Dec 07, 2017, 07:49 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Jim, Apparently there was also an airstrip in Brewster but I need to find out where. But, more interesting is the "full sized" slope soaring activity that occurred in the 1920-30 time frame in Truro and Wellfleet.
Dec 08, 2017, 08:59 PM
It's time for me to fly
Maybe in the Airline Road area?

I'd like to read more about the full-scale gliders on the Cape. I used to have a website bookmarked that had some info and photos but can't seem to find it anymore.

No flying today, not much wind. A long beach walk with the dog, lunch at the bar at Marshside, a few chores. Tomorrow looks like a rainout. Sun. & Mon. look promising.

Here's a possibility for NE wind if you don't feel like driving to Truro. A small slope on the right side of Corporation Beach in front of the snack bar. Grassy LZ and benches. Not sure how those snow fences might affect the lift?