Oct 10, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

goggles or screen?

i would appreciate opinions of guys that have used 1 or both, what is your experience.

thanks
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2013, 12:16 PM
If you want to have fun while flying around with your quad or plane .... goggles

When you want to do mostly filming or fly slowly near objects, then go lcd
Oct 10, 2013, 12:25 PM
Screens are for those that are on a tight budget or get motion sickness.

There are those that say that being able to switch between the scree and the model is a benefit, but i've personallly found it disorienting constantly switching from first person to third person view. It came to the point where i would purposely fly with my back to the model so i can simply focus on the screen.
Oct 10, 2013, 03:27 PM
Head full of foam
Goggles for yourself. A small screen for those that would like to take a look.
Oct 10, 2013, 06:40 PM
fly by night
it depends on your preferences, what size screen, qualty of goggles, etc

I hated flying with a 9 inch LCD. just hated it. I have one in my GS for setup and passengers only. Maybe for backup, but never used ti for that yet

Usually fly with goggles, maybe 80% of the time. A lot better if you only use the better goggles of course. BUt goggs can be uncomfy, fog up easily, leave you a bit blind to the situation around you and the LZ. Some Rx glasses wearer cannot use any goggles. But the AIO goggles make grab&go flying so much more convenient than any other way, so I end up doing that more than any other GS setup.

Sometimes I fly with a 32" large screen TV. That is the most comfortable for all kinds of flying. It is immersive so you can fly aerobatics and fast. Can easily transfer the transmitter over for other pilots to fly for a while. and of course switch to LOS easy. But it means I have to fly from the back of my SUV and haul around more stuff. The cost of a 32" screen keeps coming down - perhaps less than a set of Fatshark Dominators now - so worth a serious consideration imho.
Oct 10, 2013, 07:43 PM
I went with LCD for a few reasons.

I mostly fly alone. I did not like the idea of losing awareness of my own surroundings.

Some days I wear contacts, some days glasses. The LCD gave me the flexibility to fly with either.

Cost. I'm new to FPV and didn't want to pay for goggles...yet..

Allows me to easily share the view with friends or a curious passerby.

Without a spotter, especially when starting out, it allowed me to switch from LOS to FPV without being disoriented/blinded by the sun when you pull the goggles up. I'm using a new RC transmitter, and it allows me to peek at that when I need to also.

Having said all that, I certainly haven't ruled out goggles for the future. I can certainly see how they'd be more immersive, especially when paired with head tracking pan/tilt.
Oct 10, 2013, 08:05 PM
I have both but fly by LCD. I get disoriented with goggles and the field of view is more restrictive to me. The bigger the LCD the better, I find it fully immersive and I can fly by LCD just as well as anyone can do it with goggles (maybe not Carl, Klinker, Slowjet or Joe but that is independent of the display). My GS is designed around a 15" LED, and my indoor station is a 27". I always hook up the goggles as a backup video source though.

I also find the idea of flying alone with goggles a bit of a risk. I don't like the idea of not being able to look around and see what or who is behind me.
Oct 10, 2013, 11:56 PM
I tested different googles, and some are not so bad, but never as good as lcd screens. Colours, definition, contrast, confort, etc.
Googles are easy to carry and use a head-tracker, but I prefer carry 0,5kg more and pilote seeing a good image.
The best is a good old cathodic tv, but it's a bit too heavy
I really prefer lcd screnn than googles, I fly slowly or aerobatic, no problem.

Fred
Oct 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
AIRBORNE
I use both and it's the best of both worlds. I prefer to fly/drive via the goggles and let my audience watch on the screen
Oct 13, 2013, 01:27 PM
Great Britain
I prefer LCD although I would never fly off something small, Im using a 22" 12v LED TV at the moment, its not easy in the UK to find anything larger that runs from 12v.

Quick Reply