Jan 12, 2014, 08:58 AM
They should. Or home depot, fry's, maybe even radio shack.

Ive found nylon screws and nuts at electronics stores more than anywhere else surprisingly.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2014, 09:16 AM
I'll try them thanks. I talked to Art Hobby on the phone the other day (super helpful guy btw) and he mused about discontinuing the Falco. I'm glad I picked one up before that happens.
Jan 12, 2014, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynmr
Probably a good idea but the kits don't come with 2 bolts. Would hobby shops carry them?
I don't know what size, or length nylon bolt you need, or where you are located. However, if you are in the U.S. check your local Ace hardware, you would be surprised what a well stocked hardware store carries.
Jan 12, 2014, 12:49 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
I pick my nylon bolts from e-bay. On my Thermic I used an M5 on the front and M4 for the rear.

Once or twice I needed to change the M4 after breaking (and that's over almost a year of flying) due to rough-catastrophic landings.

That's where I think nylon bolts are superior over the other mounting methods mentioned, taking the loads on "difficult" situations like crash-landings on our behalf.

Jan 12, 2014, 02:45 PM
os2
os2
AMA 73766
FWIW, the Odyssey 2.7M is one of Arthobby's more recently introduced gliders (I think) and my kit uses two M4 screws (1 metal and 1 nylon) to attach the wing to the fuselage - there's no pin in front.
Jan 12, 2014, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll take along the bolt/nut I have and try to match it. Do you guys epoxy your tail section to the fuselage? Not sure I can see a big advantage to having it detachable. AH sells both stabilizers in one package.
Jan 12, 2014, 03:08 PM
Yorgos Stratakis
Permanently glued as on most of my gliders.

You can check it here.

Jan 12, 2014, 03:14 PM
Hi
I would say it is better for me to make hor. stab removeable.
I never de-attach hor. stab.
-then why to make it removeable?
It is far easyer to put new one in case of damage!
Other reason- You can play little bit more with angle of attack of hor. stab.
I put little bit stick tape (1/2mm) under the leading edge of hor. stab, to make smaller incidence and to made sailplane to be more slippery (AOA of hor. stab and main wing almoust zero).
I fly Hyper and I love it
best, boris
PS
Factory AOA is around 1-1.5 degree. With a little tape under the leading edge my model fly with AOA around 0,5-0,8.
Model fly very nice with factory setting too but my model is a discus launch model without full size flaperon (only aileron)- thats why I reduce AOA- for better launch, less drag during launch
PS
one tip:
I put thin layer of epoxy on leading edge on hor. stab to prevent damage while landing
Last edited by vigli; Jan 12, 2014 at 03:24 PM.
Jan 12, 2014, 04:05 PM
Excellent Stratigio! Good tip on the epoxy Vigli. I'll use that. Permanent seems logical. Easier too.
Jan 12, 2014, 05:23 PM
How I put thin layer epoxy on leading edge on hor. stab:
Mix epoxy and put it all around on leading edge- big drops all around LE.
How to remove epoxy which is not nessesery:
Put leading edge between tip of thumb finger and show finger and pass all leading edge on one side of hor. stab. Clean the fingers and pass other side and leave it cure. Be sure to remove extra epoxy from one side of LE with one move, other side with one move too.
You will got extra clean finish on lead. edge and it will be smooth and glossy. Remembe layer must be thin.
This way You will put extra small quantiity of epoxy but You will have a lot benefit with it.
best, boris
PS
If LE is already damage sand it little bit to be better and then protect it with epoxy
Last edited by vigli; Jan 12, 2014 at 05:31 PM.
Jan 12, 2014, 05:29 PM
Good idea, keep it light, but I may wear a latex glove for that.
Jan 14, 2014, 11:39 PM
Latex doesn't stop the toxic chemicals in epoxy from getting to your skin, use vinyl gloves instead.
Jan 15, 2014, 07:48 AM
Thanks Shawn. I'm watching a video of a guy applying Z Poxy to a large surface without gloves or respirator. That seems insane to me.
Jan 15, 2014, 12:42 PM
In the “for what it’s worth dept.”? Yesterday I ordered an Agena-ES 1.5M electric from Andre and was snooping around for a Hyperion GS “Glider Series” motor; I’ve had good luck and performance with them in two other Art Hobby planes I own, and stumbled into a bit of a deal, 61% off $27.00 for a GS2213-14?. They also have more of the GS series and Hyperion esc’s at similar discounts. Plan on building it as a bit of a warm-liner similar to my Evolution-EV 2.5M.
http://www.aircraft-world.com/shopdi...que+outrunners
Jan 17, 2014, 01:49 PM
Anyone know if it's necessary to apply Deft Lacquer Sanding Sealer to the wings before using the Deft Lacquer?

Quick Reply