to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2019, 01:59 AM
They all come down
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibobman
Thanks guys for all the answers
It was just a question,
No bad feelings....
If you have any questions about arthobby products you can ask https://zeller-modellbau.com/ here too.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:41 AM
Hi,
Why do u work there:-)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll550
If you have any questions about arthobby products you can ask https://zeller-modellbau.com/ here too.
Nov 15, 2019, 02:45 AM
Anyway thanks
Last edited by zibobman; Nov 15, 2019 at 07:34 AM.
Nov 15, 2019, 03:17 AM
They all come down
Quote:
Originally Posted by zibobman
Hi,
Why do u work there:-)?
No, I don't work in this business, but I bought arthobby glider there. I found Mr. Zeller was very helpful and he has great knowledge. Definitly worth a try, he also is flexibel in questions of transport.
Nov 16, 2019, 02:32 PM
Anyone here with the new version of the Silent (polihedral)? I am interested to know how is the performance comparing to the previous one.
Don't like the dihedral solution for the tips but I guess it must perfom better...
Thx
Nov 16, 2019, 03:58 PM
32.4316 N, 80.6698 W
I dont fly a Silent but I will answer anyway. I fly Odysseys and my last one, which I foolishly sold was built with the optional poly like the Silent depicts. At first I built my Odyssey with a straight dihedral wing and later decided to replace the wing with a 2 degree center section and 5+ degree outer sections. For my flat land thermal flying it worked much better. More stable, turned flatter with less elevator, seemed to thermal better and I noticed only improvements in performance. I used the polyhedral Odyssey as my windy day flyer and larger lighter weight sailplanes for everyday use. Right now, I am waiting on Art Hobby to ship my Odyssey ECL and I will build it with the same poly. If you look at any modern F5J sailplane, they ALL have basically the same polyhedral type wing for a good reason. The hottest F5J ship now appears to be the Volo with a 4 degree center and 7 degree tips and optional 8.5 degree tips.

With that said....if you plan to fly mostly slope, the standard dihedral wing is more suited IMO. Just depends on what conditions you plan to fly. Hopefully someone that has actually built the Silent with the slight poly will chime in. I think they will say about the same.
Last edited by mark426; Nov 16, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 07:22 PM
Thanks a lot!
Nov 16, 2019, 10:20 PM
32.4316 N, 80.6698 W
I haven't decided on where in my O-ECL to cut the 5-7 degree ploy cut. Last one was outside the wing joiners. seemed plenty strong, I did my usually mild aerobatics with no stress. Thinking about cutting the poly inside the joiners this time but worry some about the stress at the joint.

I only cut for the poly joint, glass the top and bend the wood underneath (no glass). That's the way its done on the REF/S gliders Art offers. Any guess with way is better/smarter on the Odyssey-E ......inside the joiner or outside?
Nov 17, 2019, 09:28 AM
Soren: I read in post #4600 about the larger fin/rudder you installed on your Silent. I have the early version as well and wanted to you how its working for you? I did not see a report but perhaps you already commented on another post?

Thanks.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:43 AM
On the rudder and elevator pushrod are you guys using “z” bends at both the servos and control surfaces or do you recommend something adjustable at one end?

Thanks
Nov 17, 2019, 11:25 AM
They all come down
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_Rider
On the rudder and elevator pushrod are you guys using z bends at both the servos and control surfaces or do you recommend something adjustable at one end?

Thanks
First I used servoside z-bends and on the other side a 90 degree bend. After reading Forums and other stuff I decided to rearrange the configuration. Now I have at the ailerons z-bend at the servo and threaded clevis at the horns, elevator/rudder threaded clevis at the servo and still the 90 degree bend at the control surface. It makes programming the tx much easier, because you can realize mirrored correct mechanicals. This I found essential important at ailerons and V-tail. With z-bend on both ends you don't have any possibility for corrections.
Nov 17, 2019, 11:26 AM
Adjustable is nice to have. Dubro Micro Clevises have worked well for me on the servo side for rudder and elevator. I've used an L-bend with a long tail on the control surface end for easy disassembly.
Nov 17, 2019, 11:41 AM
They all come down
In my post #4360 in this thread you have a photo where you can see my solution for my sons Skua in the fuselage.
Nov 17, 2019, 12:05 PM
For my Odyssey, I'm thinking of putting the polyhedral break right at the panel joint by replacing the straight CF joiners with bent aluminum tube joiners. K&S makes some thick-walled tube that might work. Hope to play around with the idea a bit this afternoon.

I prefer the flying characteristics of my two existing AH thermal gliders with low dihedral over other models with more dihedral or polyhedral, so I'm not looking to increase the effective dihedral on the Odyssey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark426
I haven't decided on where in my O-ECL to cut the 5-7 degree ploy cut. Last one was outside the wing joiners. seemed plenty strong, I did my usually mild aerobatics with no stress. Thinking about cutting the poly inside the joiners this time but worry some about the stress at the joint.

I only cut for the poly joint, glass the top and bend the wood underneath (no glass). That's the way its done on the REF/S gliders Art offers. Any guess with way is better/smarter on the Odyssey-E ......inside the joiner or outside?

Quick Reply