Dec 27, 2018, 01:13 PM
Great, another one
to remove ads between posts
Dec 28, 2018, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5soh
Great, another one
Yeah
I just realize that I am your neighbour from the other side of the wall (Pyrenees), actually I am living in Huesca.
Maybe after winter I can go there to say hello and we can fly with our Silents in that beautiful slope, here i just do thermal.
Dec 28, 2018, 08:11 AM
Yes, we are pretty close
There is indeed a few places here for slope soaring, you are welcome !
Not sure the Silent is the best toy when wind is established... will need something more heavy. Currently i fly the Silent since air is pretty stable this days.

Attached a PredimRC file for the Silent (in French).
Dec 28, 2018, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5soh
Yes, we are pretty close
There is indeed a few places here for slope soaring, you are welcome !
Not sure the Silent is the best toy when wind is established... will need something more heavy. Currently i fly the Silent since air is pretty stable this days.

Attached a PredimRC file for the Silent (in French).
You are right, too lightweight maybe. Will see...
Thanks a lot!
Dec 31, 2018, 12:44 PM
MorE t0Yz iz m0Re gO0dER
Has anyone flown the Vortex ?
I love the oddysy on the Art Hobby home page with the "T"tail
Curious if there is a reason to stick with traditional tail vs. "T" ?
Speedster ?anyone?
Jan 01, 2019, 04:09 AM
Pros and cons for "T" tail :
+ "T" tail will be more efficient because is above the wing airflow.
+ stabilizer less exposed on landing.

- command can be less precise due to the tube/steel wire not straight.
- mechanical forces to consider (on hard landing) since the stabilizer is on top of rudder.
Jan 01, 2019, 08:33 AM
Last summer i have made my first flights with the Vortex . It's flying great! You can fly it fast and thermal at the same time. The elevator could be less precise. There is some tiny double centering problem. I think this is not a real problem. I have not noticed it during flight yet. The construction with the elevator feels really solid, i wouldn't worry about that.
Jan 01, 2019, 02:39 PM
MorE t0Yz iz m0Re gO0dER
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterw
Last summer i have made my first flights with the Vortex . It's flying great! You can fly it fast and thermal at the same time. The elevator could be less precise. There is some tiny double centering problem. I think this is not a real problem. I have not noticed it during flight yet. The construction with the elevator feels really solid, i wouldn't worry about that.
When you say "double centering problem" do you mean the control surface comes to neutral at two places? Do you blame it on the servo or linkage? What servo do you have on the elevator?
Thank you for your response .
Jan 01, 2019, 04:21 PM
When i give up elevator and then go to neutral again the elevator centers to a certain point. I marked this point. When i give down elevator and the let the control back to neutral the elevator comes back to a slightly different position. The difference is small but it's in the trim range... I think the problem is caused by the bended push rod in the tail. This causes some additional friction. I' am using a HS 5065MG servo on the elevator. The HS 5065 produces max 18Nm toque, maybe it's to weak, i don't know
Jan 03, 2019, 10:00 AM
This is a typical behaviour for bended linkage, the stabilizer can move a bit for a fixed servo position. For bigger models, a direct linkage with servo into the tail is preferred.
Jan 05, 2019, 12:10 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterw
When i give up elevator and then go to neutral again the elevator centers to a certain point. I marked this point. When i give down elevator and the let the control back to neutral the elevator comes back to a slightly different position. The difference is small but it's in the trim range... I think the problem is caused by the bended push rod in the tail. This causes some additional friction. I' am using a HS 5065MG servo on the elevator. The HS 5065 produces max 18Nm toque, maybe it's to weak, i don't know
The friction in the bent pushrod is making whatever slop there is in the linkages show up in the elevator, I think, and not from the servo itself. This can be lessened in a number of ways. The best--if possible--might be to go to ball-link connectors at both ends. If you have to use bent-wire "hooks" in a plastic horn (or "Quick Links"), then the closer that hole fits the wire, the better.
Jan 06, 2019, 01:17 AM
walterw,
First thing I would check is if there is any friction in pushrod ? Any curve section that "binds" it ?

Ross
Jan 06, 2019, 05:08 AM
They all come down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric
then the closer that hole fits the wire, the better.
That was the solution for the same problem on a motorplane with straight pushrod for me.
Jan 06, 2019, 06:33 AM
I checked the centering today again. The differences between the two neutral positions are really small now, about 0.3 mm. The total trim range is about 3 mm. So its' about 10% in the trim range.
The previous time i checked the differences were larger. I replaced the analog servo (HS65MG) on the elevator by a digital one (HS5065MG) several months ago. Maybe this explains it. Thanks all!
Jan 07, 2019, 03:50 PM

Odyssey Aileron - Flap design

I am at the stage of Cutting Ailerons and Flaps into Odyssey Wing. The drawings included with the instructions show a 50mm gap between the flap and Aileron (25mm on either side if the wing where the outer wing joins the center) Yet I see many pictures of the Odyssey floating around on the internet that show the Aileron and Flaps do not have this separation. I havenít read each page of the this lengthy thread. Is there an advantage one way or the other? Why did builders stray from the drawings? I attempted to do a digitally annotate my question, see attached.

Thanks

Quick Reply