Oct 09, 2013, 09:36 AM
mostly gliders
Thread OP
Discussion

Multiplex Profi TX

Congratulations and thanks Multiplex. We can finally read the manual to new Mpx Profi Tx. Now it will be interesting to hear the comments when the radio is delivered. As I understand it takes a little longer, (Dec 2013).

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/servic...ush&docID=3626

/Ville
Last edited by liukku; Dec 03, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 09, 2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku
Congratulations and thanks Multiplex. We can finally read the manual to new Mpx Profi Tx. Now it will be interesting to hear the comments when the radio is delivered. As I understand it takes a little longer, (Dec 2013).

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/en/servic...ush&docID=3626

/Ville
Hello,

I have a Royal Evo (since 2003) updated to latest Pro standard (including the mainboard replacement).
I am a fan of MSB telemetry.

I was expecting some important enhancements but I must admit that I am very disappointed by the Profi TX manual. So long time awaited for so few enhancements...
Example: despite the screen being much larger, the telemetry display is still limited to 3 values per screen.

The new Royal Pro is announced for feb 2014.
We can imagine that it will basically the handled version of the tray Profi with a software 99% identical.
So I come to the conclusion that it is time to move to another manufacturer.

Regards.
Frédéric
Oct 09, 2013, 01:25 PM
Wonderful!
Oct 09, 2013, 05:26 PM
Now they've just got to hope that there are still some MPX users who haven't already moved over to Jeti or FrSky
Oct 10, 2013, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_S
Now they've just got to hope that there are still some MPX users who haven't already moved over to Jeti or FrSky
Good to see the manual is out which suggests release to market is imminent.
I have the special edition on order but I'm very tempted by the Jeti DC-16. The only turn off there is changing a heap of receivers.

After having a look through the Profi Tx manual, one might be tempted to assume the Profi Tx is just a repackaged EVO Pro with a bigger battery. Seven point curves is a little disappointing considering my P4000 has 13 point curves. Hopefully this will be addressed in later software releases.

Cheers,
Jason.
Oct 10, 2013, 10:07 AM
mostly gliders
Thread OP
When you read the manual to ProfiTX so it does not seem like it will be the worthy successor to the P4000 as many, myself included had expected and that Multiplex promised. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I do not understand all the benefits of the new radio. But it's certainly my feeling. I will not buy this radio, not yet anyway .. I will wait and see ...
Having recently acquired a Taranis as I am very happy with. It has the flexibility I strive for, and at a very good price.
Multiplex bad luck!

/Ville
Oct 10, 2013, 02:05 PM
I don´t see any problem with this radio (except the limited number of Flight Modes).

The new Profi Tx does almost everything needed. Also, it comes with special templates for tank drivers.
Oct 10, 2013, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku
When you read the manual to ProfiTX so it does not seem like it will be the worthy successor to the P4000 as many, myself included had expected and that Multiplex promised. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I do not understand all the benefits of the new radio. But it's certainly my feeling. I will not buy this radio, not yet anyway .. I will wait and see ...
Having recently acquired a Taranis as I am very happy with. It has the flexibility I strive for, and at a very good price.
Multiplex bad luck!

/Ville
Not sure I'd be moving to an el-cheapo radio like the Taranis...

One thing is for sure with the Profi Tx, the software is upgradable so perhaps future upgrades will add extra features as requested by Customers....
Whilst I'm a little disappointed that it hasn't exactly replicated the functionality of the P4000, there's no doubt that for most applications & pilots it will be more than capable. To be honest, I don't use half the P4000's capabilities but at least I know there available should they be needed. I must say, the graphics of the Profi TX leave the P4000 for dead. This is one thing I missed when moving from the EVO to the P4000.

In a tray type radio the only "real" competition to the Profi Tx is the Jeti DC-16. Both are of high quality but I suspect the Jeti has the edge in functionality and integration at the moment. I could be wrong though....

Decisions, decisions.... Great to have some quality options in the market.

Cheers,
Jason.
Oct 11, 2013, 05:50 AM
Fare from being a ”resurrection of a legend”. It’s a further developed Royal Pro in an up-to-date 4000 case and hardware. I can’t hide that I’m disappointed, but the disappointment was as expected. Doesn’t seem like they put much effort into bringing programmability up to level with the 4000.

Compared to Royal Evo/Pro:

+ Control assignments, switch assignments, and mixers are not global anymore.

- Only 4 flight phases. (if that is correct. I vaguely remember it was confirmed the ProfiTX will have 8 phases.) { Myself, flying F3F only I can manage with 4 phases if I have to, but I simply can’t see any reason at all to limited it to 4 phases. }

+(-) Two logical switches (called magic switches ?) taking up to 3 inputs. 4000 have 4 logical switches taking up to 4 inputs. If I remember correctly the 4000 has AND and OR logic, while the ProfiTX seems to only have AND logic. The ProfiTX has separate delay for ON and OFF.

+ Seems there is (if I understand it correctly) virtual switches (FP1 - FP4) returning the on/off state of each flight phase.

- No trace of any kind of analogue switches (as far as I can seen).

+(-) Only 7 mixers per model. Without any effort they could have given us enough mixers to be able to use one mixer per servo if needed.
{ On my F3x planes I have only 6 servos though, so... }

- No cascading of mixers it seems.

+ 8 inputs per mixer. Evo/Pro have 5, 4000 has 8.

+ On the Evo/Pro mixer inputs could be switched on/off using only three predefined switches. On the Profi they have done away with this, and it seems one can freely assign whichever switch directly in the mixer definition, just like on the 4000.

+(-) The curve for each mixer inputs still is defined by an Option parameter (as on the Evo/Pro) that defines a simple 3-point curve where only two points can be adjusted. But there is a new Cu option where one can choose between 8 predefined 7-point curves. Haven’t been able to find anything more about these curves - are these predefined static curves or user definable, 8 system global curves or 8 curves per model???
{ If they are user definable, per model, then it will be possible to get a better snap-flap function that what is possible on the Evo/Pro. }

The Profi TX is a move in the right direction, but in regard to programming flexibility, sadly it is closer to the Royal Pro than to the 4000. Myself I will be able to manage with the Profi TX (after all, once upon a time I did manage with an Evo) - but do I want to? Would be nice to have a new TX with up-to-date hardware, but I won’t rush out to get the Profi TX as long as my 4000 is still alive.
Oct 16, 2013, 04:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Have been in touch with a couple of well regarded MPX gurus and think I'll stick with MPX and the Profi Tx when it comes out.

I was reminded of a few important points regarding MPX.

1. Never judge the product based on the manual as they often lack detail on a products real capability - P4000 manual is a great example here. Room for improvement MPX...

2. Back-up - MPX service is excellent with service centres worldwide. Must say that my MPX products over the years have been flawless.

3. Product support - How many manufacturers would make products for a 20+ year old Tx like the P4000? The M-Link conversions for the P4000 are a testament to this support and their integration is excellent. My P4000 with M-Link looks like it was originally bought that way. Other plug-on conversions are just poorly implemented and don't look original. This is MHO anyway.

4. How many RC transmitters have a built in vibrator? Could get exciting on the flight line :-)

5. MPX listens to feedback and no doubt will be viewing these very threads for future SW upgrades and improvements. Apparently some changes have already been made over the advertised specs.

6. Build quality - MPX have gone a step further in neatening up the inside of the Profi Tx. To me, with my electronics background this improves not only the look inside but reliability. Neat and tidy also gives an impression of quality.

Anyway, thought I should post this just to balance the thread a little and possibly reduce some of the premature judgements on the imminent Profi Tx...

BTW, on another thread it has been said that premium edition sets will be available in December.

Cheers,
Jason.
Oct 18, 2013, 09:29 AM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiktrade_1
1. Never judge the product based on the manual as they often lack detail on a products real capability - P4000 manual is a great example here. Room for improvement MPX...

2. Back-up - MPX service is excellent with service centres worldwide. Must say that my MPX products over the years have been flawless.

3. Product support - How many manufacturers would make products for a 20+ year old Tx like the P4000? The M-Link conversions for the P4000 are a testament to this support and their integration is excellent. My P4000 with M-Link looks like it was originally bought that way. Other plug-on conversions are just poorly implemented and don't look original. This is MHO anyway.

4. How many RC transmitters have a built in vibrator? Could get exciting on the flight line :-)

5. MPX listens to feedback and no doubt will be viewing these very threads for future SW upgrades and improvements. Apparently some changes have already been made over the advertised specs.

6. Build quality - MPX have gone a step further in neatening up the inside of the Profi Tx. To me, with my electronics background this improves not only the look inside but reliability. Neat and tidy also gives an impression of quality.
1. Very true, totally agree. However, there is stuff there that isn't open to interpretation and is unlikely to change - only 4 flight modes, no integrated speech telemetry, limited logical switches, no mixer cascades, no off TX programming etc. Many may not need these (though for me speech telemetry is no longer optional - it's fantastic), but if the competition do have this functionality at the same or dramatcially cheaper price, which are people gonna choose?

2. Depends where you are in the world - they have reorgianised their service recently, so I am not sure our historical view of their (previously excellent) service will necessarily apply.

3. True I suppose, but I suspect they only did that because they were unable to bring a competitive next gen 2.4 set to market quickly enough. The margins on those kits must be minimal compared to flogging a new TX (maybe they just wanted to sell 2.4 receivers to keep them in the game so this was easier than deeloping the new TX).

4. In your own time please, this is a public forum...

5. Even if Mpx listen to user feedback they cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear. If the Evo firmware really was a good base for making a P4000 mk2, surely they'd be a lot closer than they are by now? Besides, any improvements that come will always be an order of magnitude slower than the open source competition.

6. Maybe so, though as an early Evo owner my perspective is it would be difficult for them to make a product that wasn't higher quality than that! The big question is does physical quality really matter when you can buy a Taranis for around 1/8 of the cost and the Jeti has already taken a high % of the top end market? Sure, FrSky have had a few minor problems with Taranis around the gimbals, but the software is demonstrably better than this and everyone I know with one is a very happy camper.

I really hope Multiplex can make a success of this - overall I've loved my Evo despite it's foibles - but if this really is the finished product I fear it's too little too late, especially given the price of their RXs. If only they'd been brave enough to go for OpenTX when their first announcement was received so badly it might have been a different story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiker
...The Profi TX is a move in the right direction, but in regard to programming flexibility, sadly it is closer to the Royal Pro than to the 4000. Myself I will be able to manage with the Profi TX (after all, once upon a time I did manage with an Evo) - but do I want to? Would be nice to have a new TX with up-to-date hardware, but I won’t rush out to get the Profi TX as long as my 4000 is still alive.
Totally agree, and thanks for the excellent feature breakdown analysis. If you are unsure of the replacement for your 4000 I would suggest you download Companion9x and try out the programming - you might be pleasantly surprised...
Last edited by MattyB; Oct 20, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Oct 19, 2013, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyB
If you are unsure of the replacement for your 4000 would suggest you download Companion9x and try out the programming - you might be pleasantly surprised...
The Taranis. If it been a tray-/pizza-box I probably would consider it, but a "horn mine" (as we call them in Norway) is not for me. I'm leaning more towards the FX-32, or more likely the MC-32. For now I'll hang onto my 4000, which was one of the last ones produced so it’s not that old yet.
Oct 20, 2013, 05:29 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiker
The Taranis. If it been a tray-/pizza-box I probably would consider it, but a "horn mine" (as we call them in Norway) is not for me. I'm leaning more towards the FX-32, or more likely the MC-32. For now I'll hang onto my 4000, which was one of the last ones produced so it’s not that old yet.
Several people have already mounted them in trays, but I understand why you don't like it - the aesthetics and layout do leave a fair bit to be desired! It's not all bad news bough - the Horus will should be along next year for those that prefer a tray...

http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...X12D&langue=en

(Early renders only, will almost certainly change)
Oct 20, 2013, 05:35 PM
Taranis Tyro...
Longstanding Mpx fan Mike Shellim's recent blog post on the Profi; sadly he doesn't think it's much of a successor to the P4000 either...

http://rc-soar.blogspot.co.uk/2013/1...lex-profi.html

...and his recent series on Taranis...

http://rc-soar.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=Taranis
Nov 02, 2013, 03:58 PM

Production of the Premium Edition underway...

Production has started on the Premium Edition. Photos on the MPX website https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6270302&type=1

Premium Edition expected to be delivered next month before Christmas.

Cheers,
Jason.

Quick Reply