Oct 07, 2013, 11:02 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Build Log

Sig 1/4 Scale spacewalker 11 Not your ordinary build

It's that time of year again, time to build. I will be building the Sig Spacewalker 11 and it will be built a bit different than others you may have seen. Wings will be 3 piece, fixed center section with slip tube mounted outer sections.

Fuselage will under go some appearance changes, single cockpit and some contour work forward 2/3rds of it. Will likely have 1/4 scale Robart cub main gear, Fiberglass Specialties cowl and be powered with a DLE 35RA gas engine.

I have spent considerable time prepping the ribs, drilling lightening holes and sleeve holes for the tubes, all that was done jigged up on drill press for perfect alignment critical for the sleeves. Holes for sleeves are 1and 1/16" and finished size was done on spindle sander after 1" holes were drilled. I was getting ahead of myself and nearly started gluing it up when I noticed I had no plan protector so I quit for the night and will do that tomorrow. My wing table is 8' and will allow building both wings at same time.

I am looking forward to the joy I get out of building, hope some will follow along.

Leroy
Last edited by Leroy G; Feb 07, 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Leroy Gardner
to remove ads between posts
Oct 08, 2013, 11:20 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Got a lot done today, spars laid and ribs glued to them, sleeve for slip tubes fit nicely in ribs but won't be installed until wing construction is finished. Ribs where they separate will have the retainer tabs installed and then go in as a pair.

I made a couple of mini squares to mark rib location on spars and check vertical when installed, they sure are handy for building wings.

I ordered the Robart Cub 1/4 scale main gear and servos today, should have them by Saturday, they mount on bottom of center section and will need them to build the mounts, cowling should be here Sat. also.

Leroy
Oct 09, 2013, 07:29 AM
WCB
WCB
I'm enjoying your thread. Keep it up. A friend and I are overhauling a Sig 1/4 scale SW that he acquired that was hanging up in an old barn for years.
Oct 09, 2013, 06:24 PM
AMA 910957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner
I am looking forward to the joy I get out of building, hope some will follow along.
Subscribed.

I have the same kit and want to modify it to a single cockpit too. I have a set of Robart J-3 gear for it already. I'm also interested in your 3-piece wing mod.

I chose the Fuji BT-24IE for power thinking that it would be more than enough. What were your considerations for the DLE 35RA?

Thanks for sharing your build.

EJ
Oct 09, 2013, 07:23 PM
I love seeing you've come over here to do your build.
Oct 09, 2013, 09:59 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB
I'm enjoying your thread. Keep it up. A friend and I are overhauling a Sig 1/4 scale SW that he acquired that was hanging up in an old barn for years.
It's a great plane and a good build, hope you enjoy it.

Leroy
Oct 09, 2013, 10:14 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Subscribed.

I have the same kit and want to modify it to a single cockpit too. I have a set of Robart J-3 gear for it already. I'm also interested in your 3-piece wing mod.

I chose the Fuji BT-24IE for power thinking that it would be more than enough. What were your considerations for the DLE 35RA?

Thanks for sharing your build.

EJ
EJ you should like this build then. You can't get a 84" one piece in a 6' PU box, that inspired me a lot. Engine is a near perfect fit and will turn a 20"-8 prop that will fly it at half throttle very scale like and have the power to do most aerobatics.

Like I said the fuselage will get a make over using the RYAN STA as a model, I really like that look, a speedster of sorts. Be glad to have you along.

Leroy
Oct 09, 2013, 10:18 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy191
I love seeing you've come over here to do your build.
netty I'm glade to do it here also besides it's easier than RCU which will see it come together also.

Leroy
Oct 09, 2013, 10:27 PM
AMA 910957
Interesting. My intent was to bash the two-holer into the original Spacewalker one-holer. I like your idea of using the aft cockpit to give the way to the speedster look. Nice! Are you going to modify the engine cowl too?

EJ
Oct 10, 2013, 06:33 AM
Leroy,
How did you know what size wing tube to use when changing to your new three piece design?

the reason I'm asking is i was given (20 years ago!) a scratch-built Cherokee. A flying buddy and club member took the VK Cherokee Babe at 55" WS and doubled it to 110" with a one piece wing! After putting it through some trees only the fuse/tail survives today and he passed on many years ago and I wasn't to rebuilt it. I have his hand drawn plans for the wing (on the back of a set of Nosen Giant Stick plans no less) but no way would I even think of making it one price again. Three would be the way to go. i have no idea how to size the parts correctly though.

Thanks,
Bill S.
Oct 10, 2013, 11:57 AM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
Interesting. My intent was to bash the two-holer into the original Spacewalker one-holer. I like your idea of using the aft cockpit to give the way to the speedster look. Nice! Are you going to modify the engine cowl too?

EJ
Lets face it, the Spacewalker is a good looking plane either way. I'm not going for the scale look I just like to add my own touch to some builds. I want it to look like the fuselage is aluminum skinned, rivets and all. The fiberglass cowl is due today and I will see if it is worthy of any changes, I do like the Ryan look better.

Leroy
Oct 10, 2013, 12:11 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Flyer
Leroy,
How did you know what size wing tube to use when changing to your new three piece design?

the reason I'm asking is i was given (20 years ago!) a scratch-built Cherokee. A flying buddy and club member took the VK Cherokee Babe at 55" WS and doubled it to 110" with a one piece wing! After putting it through some trees only the fuse/tail survives today and he passed on many years ago and I wasn't to rebuilt it. I have his hand drawn plans for the wing (on the back of a set of Nosen Giant Stick plans no less) but no way would I even think of making it one price again. Three would be the way to go. i have no idea how to size the parts correctly though.

Thanks,
Bill S.
Bill I'm using a 1" aluminum tube with a phenolic sleeves, tubes are very light and made of high quality alloy. A lot depends on wing loading, thickness and length. I got my tubes at www.tntlandinggear.com they would have answers for you about size and length you will need.

Leroy
Oct 10, 2013, 11:54 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Was a productive day today, got a lot of wing work done. Division ribs are done with the securing tabs with T nuts installed, the outboard wings retainer tab will be installed after it's cut apart. All spars and leading edge first course and top cap strip is on. I clamped a bar to top spar that allows early wing removal making some glue up easier and then I can set it back on plan. Great having the right tools.

Tomorrow I should have the rest finished and get it cut in half. After I join the wing center sections I will be able to figure out the gear mounts, the gear came today. I may have to build the fuselage first to get the gear alignment right and any additional support to mount the wing center which will be glued to fuselage after the covering is done. Still a few things to figure out but the build is going well.

Leroy
Oct 11, 2013, 07:52 AM
Play that funky music right
Looks mighty fine there Leroy

Ken
Oct 12, 2013, 11:28 PM
Leroy G.
Thread OP
Thanks Ken, this is going to be a fun build.

Got the wings glued up, installed the sleeves and cut joiner section loose, sanded the ends and admired my work. This is really going to be cool, being able to slide the wings off for transporting.

Holes were nearly perfect when sleeves (two pieces) were put in place and the tube slid right in. 30 min. epoxy was used to secure them, the center section and wing ends both have 11" of tube in them, tube is 1" and will be cut 22" long. All that is done now.

I will put them together again and use the long bar sander to go over the wings, I still have rib caps to put on, that won't take long, then put the servos mounts in and other misc. things. I'm not using the ABS wing tips and will build them up instead.

Quick Reply