Oct 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Okay, I can sleep now...

I got the TEL error because I didn't enable the LFO (Live Video Feed On) Mine was set to off. As soon as I enabled that and plugged in everything it worked perfectly!

I think instead of using the black plug in connector I'll just solder the wires directly to the pins.

Now to go put this on a plane!

Ricky
to remove ads between posts
Oct 16, 2013, 10:41 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I didn't need the RPSMA adapters for my Helical antennas. They screwed right in. Am I able to twist/bend them the 75 degrees that was recommended by Alex?

I like my little ground station. It shouldn't take me any time at all to setup.

Ricky
Oct 17, 2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
Already found something: Shipping tubes. I found 1-1/4" shipping tube caps and plugs The question is how it will affect the signal. When they come in, I can test them

-Alex
How about those:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Acrylkugel-Ac...item43ab93c410
Oct 17, 2013, 09:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode
I didn't need the RPSMA adapters for my Helical antennas. They screwed right in. Am I able to twist/bend them the 75 degrees that was recommended by Alex?

I like my little ground station. It shouldn't take me any time at all to setup.

Ricky
Nice setup! Go ahead and twist those antennas wherever you want. I check them by twisting 90 degrees in each direction to be sure the bond is solid.

-Alex
Oct 17, 2013, 09:37 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashsalot
I might try that!
Oct 18, 2013, 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy
I might try that!
They don't ship to the US, but I can get you some. 4 cm is perfect for 5.8. I guess you don't want them for 1.3? Lmk.

Oct 19, 2013, 11:40 AM
Dear Alex,

Friend of mine ordered on RMRC a Vee antenna, he can't stand waiting!
Do you know when they will not be backordered anymore?
I can give you order number in PM if you need.

cheers
Oct 20, 2013, 08:46 PM
Engineer for Christ
I screwed up the design on a set of formers that ended up detuning them. I had to have the formers re-made. The new vees will have a completely new look

-Alex
Oct 22, 2013, 04:24 PM
Hi Alex,

Could you answer me a quick question?

I have me 2, 10turn black cannon's (5.8ghz) to use with my diversity video receiver to attempt some serious long range.

My question is: what is the radiation beam angle on those antennas? So that I could figure out how to point/angle them from each other.

Sorry to trouble you with this..but the Google machine is failing to help me.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Michael
Oct 23, 2013, 08:37 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Allrighty guys, I finally had my first FPV flight! Well not really FPV, but I flew the plane with the equipment on it!

I guess now I'm on the trial and error phase. I was only able to get about 200ft before the video would completely snow out, but inside of 200ft it was perfectly clear. At one point I saw the video become clear at about 500ft or so, but it would only last a few seconds and then completely cut out.

Pretty much at no time was the video on the screen more than 15 seconds or so. I never flew more than 700ft away so I guess I'm on to antenna placement and trying different channels or flying site?

I was very pleased with the video quality when I saw it and I've attached the go pro footage. I wish I would have recorded the transmitted video, but I was so anxious to see how the stuff would work.

If I need to post in another thread that's fine too, just point me in the right direction.

The GPS on the cyclops seems to be very accurate. I typed in the coordinates in google maps and it had the exact location of my plane.

FPV Maiden (5 min 20 sec)

Ricky
Oct 27, 2013, 03:39 PM
ParagonUAV
Well, after all that worry about the antenna getting squished, the damn thing vibrated off. First time for everything. Brand new airscrew ultra, gone. Was flying close range, so didn't notice that it was gone, and good luck finding such a small antenna during fall...

Sad panda. If you do find a good protection method, I'd still be interested once I fund a new antenna.
Oct 27, 2013, 03:49 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinclairinork
Hi Alex,

Could you answer me a quick question?

I have me 2, 10turn black cannon's (5.8ghz) to use with my diversity video receiver to attempt some serious long range.

My question is: what is the radiation beam angle on those antennas? So that I could figure out how to point/angle them from each other.

Sorry to trouble you with this..but the Google machine is failing to help me.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Michael
Aim them 30 degrees apart for a 90 degree total beamwidth. This should be good for most flying.

-Alex
Oct 27, 2013, 03:50 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode
Allrighty guys, I finally had my first FPV flight! Well not really FPV, but I flew the plane with the equipment on it!

I guess now I'm on the trial and error phase. I was only able to get about 200ft before the video would completely snow out, but inside of 200ft it was perfectly clear. At one point I saw the video become clear at about 500ft or so, but it would only last a few seconds and then completely cut out.

Pretty much at no time was the video on the screen more than 15 seconds or so. I never flew more than 700ft away so I guess I'm on to antenna placement and trying different channels or flying site?

I was very pleased with the video quality when I saw it and I've attached the go pro footage. I wish I would have recorded the transmitted video, but I was so anxious to see how the stuff would work.

If I need to post in another thread that's fine too, just point me in the right direction.

The GPS on the cyclops seems to be very accurate. I typed in the coordinates in google maps and it had the exact location of my plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmXs...=youtube_gdata

Ricky
Move that antenna outward on the wing farther. This will help greatly.

-Alex
Oct 29, 2013, 07:57 AM
Is that 30 degrees from the base or tip of the antenae? Thanks again!
Oct 30, 2013, 09:41 AM
Engineer for Christ
Tip to tip - 30 degrees apart